Poll: Which new cash shop mount would you like to see?

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bryroo View Post
    Sounds great. How much do you think they should charge for it?
    bout 15 dollars a month
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    Why so people can laugh at you? I don't think anyone looks at a store mount and is ever impressed. Which is kind of the point, at least I thought so.
    If you like the mount, who cares?

You think the point of a mount is to impress people?

I've heard of people overcompensating with Corvettes or another sports car....but a mount in a video game? Wow...
    The first explanation means you don't know. The second means you don't understand. The third means you can't accept the answer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    I really doubt it, How often do you see the retarded horse, the golden serpent thingy, the goat thing, the lion thing, the bat and.. any that I missed simply because I forget what they are.
    Right now, the fey dragon, and the new horse thing are all I really see. Not even the skyreaver much anymore
    I don't know. I see the golden dragon and the winged guardian relatively often...the rest, not so much. Not sure if it's because of the missing feeling of accomplishment or because - at least in my opinion - all of the store mounts look kind of meh, though.

Quote Originally Posted by a1derful1 View Post
    I've heard of people overcompensating with Corvettes or another sports car....but a mount in a video game? Wow...
    Why do you think so many people like running around with Mimiron's head or the Juggernaut? They are butt ugly...but people think they can impress others with them.

Yes. It's exactly like that and yes, it's in a video game.

I know it's become cool all of a sudden to hate anything that is exclusive and want everything handed to you on a silver platter, but narcissism and "showing off" has always been a big part of MMORPGs. The feeling of getting a new item, mount or title was always a huge incentive to many players, and then showing it off in Ironforge/Orgrimmar.

Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    The feeling of getting a new item, mount or title was always a huge incentive to many players, and then showing it off in Ironforge/Orgrimmar.
    Those were the ones I always laughed at. If you need gratification by way of people thinking your amazing cuz of a mount, then have at it. Even janitors like to show off their new mops on occasion.

Always thought the idea of trying to show off in the capital was a shallow attempt at stroking epeen. I had the same mounts as some of those numbskulls, but had better things to do around Azeroth than "radiate awesomeness" and allow people to bathe in that radiance...lol

I just had this notion that people doing that were kids or teens. Didn't realize that adults actually did that till I went to Blizzcon in '11 and realized that I, most definitely, do not fit in with that crowd. When I saw grown folk saying the same crap I've seen in forums like these, I knew that I could never attend it again so as to avoid a night in jail for trying to slap the stupid out of someone...unfortunately slapping the stupid out of someone doesn't work...tried it once...
    The first explanation means you don't know. The second means you don't understand. The third means you can't accept the answer.

Those were the ones I always laughed at. If you need gratification by way of people thinking your amazing cuz of a mount, then have at it. Even janitors like to show off their new mops on occasion.

Always thought the idea of trying to show off in the capital was a shallow attempt at stroking epeen. I had the same mounts as some of those numbskulls, but had better things to do around Azeroth than "radiate awesomeness" and allow people to bathe in that radiance...lol

I just had this notion that people doing that were kids or teens. Didn't realize that adults actually did that till I went to Blizzcon in '11 and realized that I, most definitely, do not fit in with that crowd. When I saw grown folk saying the same crap I've seen in forums like these, I knew that I could never attend it again so as to avoid a night in jail for trying to slap the stupid out of someone...unfortunately slapping the stupid out of someone doesn't work...tried it once...
    Like it or not, most humans like to receive praise and compliments for what they feel they have achieved.

That's a big part of MMOs and life in general. Some people like to say they're above it, but as a race humans are narcissistic and enjoy showing off how great they are. I'm sure it stems psychologically from wanting to impress a potential female mate or intimidate off potential male competition, i'm sure somebody could say what it really is.

If there was no way people could tell if you've done things like "Insane in the membrane" I bet you'd see a lot less people do it.

Being proud of achieving something in a game is nothing to be ashamed of.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    You just like that option because you want that stuff for free.
    No, we already pay monthly for this game. Double dipping into microtransaction exclusive content is just unethical. Simple as that. Out of principles I haven't bought a single cash shop item thusfar.

Also, to iterate on the point of mounts being attainable in game for completing a difficult challenge and them being used as show off: It is a part of EVERY SINGLE FUCKING RPG. Hell, that's how humans work.
    Let's go to cars. Why are a lot of people enamored by an expensive or very exclusive sport's car, or a hard to find old-timer? Because it is exclusive. Not a lot of people have it. 99% of humans like it when people look at what materialistic value they have. Same can be related to everything. Fancy clothing. Collector's items. You name it.
    We as humans like to show off. That isn't a child mentality. It is basic human mentality in this capitalistic society of ours.
    Last edited by mmocfce925a786; 2014-06-16 at 11:41 PM.

If a mount is the crown jewel of your lifelong achievement and you're proud of it, I have no problem with that, but no need to get butt hurt cuz someone else thinks it's silly.

Some people do the things they do cuz they enjoy it, not to receive praise. I find self satisfaction more appealing, rather than trying to garner others' approval and endearment.

That said, going back to the reason for my previous post, I see showing off an ugly mount that represents an achievement (and only used because of that achievement) as silly and the thinking that mounts are to prove how awesome you are as laughable. Whatever mount I decide to use, whether store bought or gotten in game, at a given time, is the one I want to enjoy at the moment. If someone feels that I should be laughed at for cruising on a bat mount, I've turned out my pockets and I'm all out of f%$ks to give.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goondicker View Post
    Imagine this:

Instead of the cash shop, they take those mounts and add them in game to some pre-existing dungons and such.

What if you logged in one day and there's a new quest to get the Fey Dragon? Say, collect 20 drops from 5 mans and a few from a raid. Or maybe something similar to the WotLK weekly raid quest.

They'd still get the extra income. I'd imagine that they'd make more from people resubbing to help fill their mount tab than those who are willing to shell out for it in the shop. Just don't make them trivial (or at least quick) to obtain.
    The hell are you talking about? People aren't going to resub to "get moar mounts." If that were true, all Blizzard would have to do is stick in a pity mount every month between content gaps and then suddenly hundreds of thousands of people would resub, thus eliminating content drought sub dips.

I'm just against a cash shop in a subscription game. The only time I'm in favor of it is when it's a charity event. But in that case, I'd like for it to be 100% of the profit, and only for a limited time. There's not much sense in doing a charity event if you're keeping half of the money you raise.

"Q: Have you considered micro-transacrtions in WoW?
    A: We chose to go with the subscription-based model instead of that approach. We've taken the approach that we want players to feel like it's a level playing field once they're in WoW. Outside resources don't play into it -- no gold buying, etc. We take a hard line stance against it. What you get out of microtransactions is kind of the same thing and I think our player base would feel betrayed by it. I think that's something else you have to decide on up-front instead of implementing later."

They said it themselves back in 2008, arguably the peak of WoW's life.

Source: http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/02/20/gd...pproach-to-mm/
    How do store mounts affect the balance of "power" in WoW?

Again, I'm a mount hunter. I don't buy store mounts. I don't feel that nine store mounts somehow "shift the paradigm of power." And as I said earlier, people that are actually mount hunters seem to care very little for the store mounts, because they focus on HUNTING mounts, and not bitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketbear View Post
    No, we already pay monthly for this game. Double dipping into microtransaction exclusive content is just unethical. Simple as that. Out of principles I haven't bought a single cash shop item thusfar.

Also, to iterate on the point of mounts being attainable in game for completing a difficult challenge and them being used as show off: It is a part of EVERY SINGLE FUCKING RPG. Hell, that's how humans work.
    Let's go to cars. Why are a lot of people enamored by an expensive or very exclusive sport's car, or a hard to find old-timer? Because it is exclusive. Not a lot of people have it. 99% of humans like it when people look at what materialistic value they have. Same can be related to everything. Fancy clothing. Collector's items. You name it.
    We as humans like to show off. That isn't a child mentality. It is basic human mentality in this capitalistic society of ours.
    So are you arguing that there AREN'T hard to obtain mounts in game right now that reflect in-game achievements?

Because if there were such a thing in game, it'd render your argument a pointless grandstand, now wouldn't it?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

May as well add a Deathwing mount and in the dumb "trailer" that they release they can say it is actually a sibling of Wrathion. It can join all of the other random store mounts that have no reasonable canonical place in the game.

Winged Guardian: What is this? A space lion from the future? Where did it come from?

Enchanted Fey Dragon: Where did this giant fairy dragon come from? Did it get exposed to radiation?

Iron Skyreaver: Literally a mount from the future considering it's from Alternate Draenor and they just bumped it up for profit.

Heart of the Aspects: What is this thing, I don't even...

Warforged Nightmare: This thing looks like Dark Animus. Is it a horse made using Anima? No? Okay then.

Swift Windsteed: What? Where did this goat creature come from. Pandaria? I haven't seen any around?

Celestial Steed: Legend has that it was forged from the tears of noobs, but little else is known.

Tyrael's Charger: Literally designed and named after a character from another game. That's not immersion shattering in any way.

I'm ready for them to start doing cross-promotion store mounts. Introducing the new Dodge Charger mount, it's... a 2015 Dodge Charger!!!

Introducing the new Cheetos Brand Chester Cheeta flying rocket, it's a giant Cheeto with a rocket engine!

Introducing the new KFC Colonels Famous Flying Bucket, it's a greasy magic bucket that you fly around in! Today Tastes so Good!
    Last edited by frymastermeat; 2014-06-17 at 02:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frymastermeat View Post
    May as well add a Deathwing mount and in the dumb "trailer" that they release they can say it is actually a sibling of Wrathion. It can join all of the other random store mounts that have no reasonable canonical place in the game.

Winged Guardian: What is this? A space lion from the future? Where did it come from?

Enchanted Fey Dragon: Where did this giant fairy dragon come from? Did it get exposed to radiation?

Iron Skyreaver: Literally a mount from the future considering it's from Alternate Draenor and they just bumped it up for profit.

Heart of the Aspects: What is this thing, I don't even...

Warforged Nightmare: This thing looks like Dark Animus. Is it a horse made using Anima? No? Okay then.

Swift Windsteed: What? Where did this goat creature come from. Pandaria? I haven't seen any around?

Celestial Steed: Legend has that it was forged from the tears of noobs, but little else is known.

Tyrael's Charger: Literally designed and named after a character from another game. That's not immersion shattering in any way.
    And yet you can have mini diablo and mini tyrael follow you around, along with two different types of zerglings, a mini-thor, and a Witch Doctor tiki fetish. Where did they come from? How about mini kel'thuzad and mini ragnaros? Those don't even make sense. And while we're on it, where did the spectral tiger, legion drake, and giant chicken mount come from? Never seen any of those in-game. And yet those were added in Vanilla WoW, BC, WotLK, and Cataclysm without much protest.

And how exactly do you get a dragon shipped to you in a mailbox anyway? Dragons should be far too big to fit in mailboxes.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    And yet you can have mini diablo and mini tyrael follow you around, along with two different types of zerglings, a mini-thor, and a Witch Doctor tiki fetish. Where did they come from? How about mini kel'thuzad and mini ragnaros? Those don't even make sense. And while we're on it, where did the spectral tiger, legion drake, and giant chicken mount come from? Never seen any of those in-game. And yet those were added in Vanilla WoW, BC, WotLK, and Cataclysm without much protest.

And how exactly do you get a dragon shipped to you in a mailbox anyway? Dragons should be far too big to fit in mailboxes.
    None of those pets that you listed seem to be mounts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frymastermeat View Post
    None of those pets that you listed seem to be mounts.
    So it's easier to pretend that the mini tyrael following you around isn't actually there?

And how about the legion fel drake from the TCG? No word of those existing in game lore.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    So are you arguing that there AREN'T hard to obtain mounts in game right now that reflect in-game achievements?

Because if there were such a thing in game, it'd render your argument a pointless grandstand, now wouldn't it?
    Can you read? Seems not. I never said that there aren't mounts in the game currently to show off grand achievements.
    Rather than fish for some hidden meaning, try reading what is actually written. I was merely explaining as to why people like fancy hard to obtain mounts.
    I tend to call a lot of people stupid, but here, I feel it is completely justified: You are stupid.

Seems my stance on this microtransaction store is outdated. Gotta give it to Blizzard. Social Engineering, they do it like no other.
    In my opinion, you either run a subscription model, or a microtransaction model, not both.
    Hell, the only games where I see a microtransaction model or cash shop justified are those that are free to play.

Since WoW still runs a subscription model, their implementation of the cash shop back in Wrath was a morbid business decision. But seems some people don't give two shits anymore about consumer principles.
    Hell, I'd say that most people were fine with the Sparkle Pony back then because it was a rehashed model of Invincible. But now they're creating exclusive mount models for the cash shop while giving reskins and remodels of already existing models as obtainable in game (Rare boss drop, achievement, etc).
    Since I do not support the idea of a cash shop in a subscription based game, I will stand by my principles and never have, and never will purchase a mount or pet from the store.
    Last edited by mmocfce925a786; 2014-06-17 at 07:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketbear View Post
    Can you read? Seems not. I never said that there aren't mounts in the game currently to show off grand achievements.
    Rather than fish for some hidden meaning, try reading what is actually written. I was merely explaining as to why people like fancy hard to obtain mounts.
    I tend to call a lot of people stupid, but here, I feel it is completely justified: You are stupid.
    I apologize that my standard application of picking apart an argument doesn't seem to be able to address your baseless whining derived from your own contrived circular principles about a supposed ethical code that in all its constituent parts hasn't been true for the majority of WoW's lifespawn and who's derived grievances don't continue to be true in anything beyond a superficial manner today.

Seems my stance on this microtransaction store is outdated. Gotta give it to Blizzard. Social Engineering, they do it like no other.
    In my opinion, you either run a subscription model, or a microtransaction model, not both.
    Hell, the only games where I see a microtransaction model or cash shop justified are those that are free to play.

Since WoW still runs a subscription model, their implementation of the cash shop back in Wrath was a morbid business decision. But seems some people don't give two shits anymore about consumer principles.
    Maybe people don't give two shits about your "consumer principles."

Hell, I'd say that most people were fine with the Sparkle Pony back then because it was a rehashed model of Invincible. But now they're creating exclusive mount models for the cash shop while giving reskins and remodels of already existing models as obtainable in game (Rare boss drop, achievement, etc).
    Now you're just demonstrating how very little you know about one of your supposed "ethical grievances." Don't be too bummed out; lots of people who complain about mounts have little to no clue about the workings of remodels and reskins and how they've been used throughout the entirety of WoW. But, very simply put to address "well now all we get are old mount models/reskins," while untrue in its very assertion, here's a nice little factoid: every raid/dungeon drop mount from BC was a remodel of a vanilla wow model. In fact, all but THREE BC models used for BC mounts were remodels of vanilla WoW models. (Guess which three and you get a cookie)

Since I do not support the idea of a cash shop in a subscription based game, I will stand by my principles and never have, and never will purchase a mount or pet from the store.
    Good for you. People that don't care about such trifles will continue to either 1) buy them or 2) as is my case, not buy them, but not care that they exist.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2014-06-17 at 10:10 AM.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

The hell are you talking about? People aren't going to resub to "get moar mounts." If that were true, all Blizzard would have to do is stick in a pity mount every month between content gaps and then suddenly hundreds of thousands of people would resub, thus eliminating content drought sub dips.
    This would work better than you think. There would still be complaints about no new playable content coming out in a year, but there would be people who wouldn't let their sub lapse just to grab a monthly mount.

If they treat garrisons the way I think they will (constant baseline progress just for an active account), we'll be able to see if I'm right during WoD.

No comment on the rest of this convo one way or the other.