Thread: Upgrade Needed?

Upgrade Needed?

So I have had my computer for a while, well, long while. I have noticed a lot of little things happening, for instance my speaks sound like they are always rumbling even though nothing is running. Is this an indication that I need a new sound system?

Also I have been playing Wildstar lately and have had severe lag spikes in highly populated areas on medium graphic settings when before I had no issues when I played WoW on ultra. The Screen tears massively with long triangles, when I move the camera to certain angles all in game graphics disappear and are replaced with just massive walls of plain colors. My graphics driver is up to date so does this mean I need a new one in general? If so any advice?

Deleted
    Some information about your system spec and resolution maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Some information about your system spec and resolution maybe?
    How can I do that? Is there like a scan or systems check I can run to tell specs?

Quote Originally Posted by Apolyc View Post
    How can I do that? Is there like a scan or systems check I can run to tell specs?
    You could start by opening DxDiag.
    You should be seeing most speccs for your computer there.

If you don't know how to run DxDiag, just press the Windows button on your keyboard, + R.
    That should open the run menu, and from there, just type in DxDiag.

Another way would be to just write DxDiag in your start menu.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby
    I'm Commander Crabby, and this is my favorite forum on the website.

System Info.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144)
    System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
    System Model: CM1630
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/20/10 10:22:37 Ver: 03.04
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 830 Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
    Memory: 6144MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 6144MB RAM
    Page File: 2171MB used, 10113MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1244&SUBSYS_089C10DE&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 3793 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 977 MB
    Shared Memory: 2815 MB
    Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: AOC 2036
    Monitor Model: 2036
    Monitor Id: AOC2036
    Native Mode: 1600 x 900(p) (60.000Hz)
    Output Type: HD15
    Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
    Description: Speakers (VIA High Definition Audio)
    Default Sound Playback: Yes
    Default Voice Playback: Yes
    Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1106&DEV_0397&SUBSYS_1043836C&REV_1000

The GeForce GTX 550 Ti could need a overhaul. If you can afford it, I would recommend trying to bring it up to 750 TI or 760 for a bigger difference in terms of performance.

The RAM could be brought up to 8000, or 16, all things depending on if your motherboard can support it, may be a good upgrade, as RAM chips really aren't that expensive.
    Regarding the Processor, I'm not that experienced with the AMD ones, as I mostly use Intel, so can't really recommend anything there.

Edit:
    Would like to know if you could check the name of your Motherboard, as that may give a better pointer towards what's actually possible.
    Last edited by Benitora; 2014-06-14 at 05:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby
    I'm Commander Crabby, and this is my favorite forum on the website.

Deleted
    the asustek CM1630 look to be only available on integrated desktop computer :
    http://www.asus.com/Desktops/Essentio_CM1630/
    Please confirm that.

If this is your computer, the there is an AM3 socket, and your current CPU is probably the best available for the motherboard.
    So your are stuck here without changing the motherboard.

As the motherboard support dual channel RAM, you may use pairs. Open the case, check how many slots are filled. If only 3 are filled like we suspects, you may buy another 2GB DDR3 to complete. Beware : garanty can be voided by opening the case. If you are unsure about what you do, contact the computer vendor.

For wildstar, I don't know the game, but triangle artifacts you describe can be related to the directX version choosed ingame.
    You may change this setup for directX 9 or 10, instead of 11. OR if currently set to dx9, you may try the directX 11 setup.

If this don't solve your problem, or you still experiment lags then changing the GPU will help...
    But if you experiment lag when a lot of player are near you, then the bottleneck is probably on the CPU side, which is likely the case in any MMO. For that, there isn't any other way than changing motherboard + cpu.

Yes you should. Gaming for life.