Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Anyone else get skipped over in the forums?

I know your pain. Post in a thread, thinking you opinion is a nice contribution, only to see that no one cares, and it happens just about every time you post. I think it's a curse or something. It's happened to me on every forum I've been on for over 4 years now (I've posted on those at least once a day). And if you do have someone quote you, they just say how ridiculous it is. Or, you make a thread and only 2 people reply... it's a really sad feeling. You want to be part of the community and make some friends online, or discuss things, and it just doesn't work for us for whatever reason.

It's not that I want attention, it's just hard to be part of a discussion when you really aren't part of it.

Anyone else experience this?

10+ Year Old Account
    I get skipped by most because my presence on this forum has turned into sarcastic comments. I still have a loyal fan base though.

Deleted
    Step 1: Create forum posting persona.

Step 2: Live up to the ideals you instil in that persona.

Step 3: Disregard acknowledgment of said opinions posted, strut around like you're a pigeon shitting everywhere and people are below you.

Step 4: ?!?!

Step 5: Profit. Or enjoy the momentary ban(s)

If it makes you feel better though, i tend to read every comment in a reasonable sized thread (If it's over 50 pages though, fuck that) and if i don't quote and reply to it it means i agree in part with you.

Sometimes a post doesn't need a response. Typically these are a lot of well-thought out posts that stand out by themselves, or are opinion posts which are hard to counter depending on the topic in question. If you state that your favorite flavor of ice cream is strawberry then I'm not going to have much more to say than "mine too" or "vanilla is better", whew scintillating response...

Most of the posts that get a lot of responses are usually the inflammatory ones, so keep that in mind. If you're not getting a lot of responses then that likely means that you aren't a <insert humanoid creature who lives under a bridge>.

I usually just pick a bad time to post in a thread. Either (A) the SJWs just went on a spam rampage because they can't be arsed to contribute and my post get's kinda lost in all of it, (B) a right wing nutjob without any brain just posted something so unbelivably stupid that everyone jumps for the low hanging fruit and my post gets overlooked that way or (C) a gigantic argument about semantics is place in some kind of unholy quote-war, that makes even long posts look like a foot note.

Deleted
    sometimes,
    But I don't let it get to me as I am not self important.

You have to be part of the circle jerk or they don't pay attention, i.e. make dumb comments, rant, rage, argue, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    I try to reply to new people. New people might mean new ideas or new perspectives. I try to be welcoming...

(Note: Try does not equal success)
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Tulune View Post
    You have to be part of the circle jerk or they don't pay attention, i.e. make dumb comments, rant, rage, argue, etc.
    ya haha this is pretty much why

Quote Originally Posted by Tulune View Post
    Yeah pretty much.

A little bit yes...

Not just on this forum, but I'll post a really well thought out post to a subject and nobody touches it, neither the people that have so far agreed with it, nor the ones that have been against the things posted, seems 99% of the time...
    Because of that I actually post less, because it isn't interesting to me to post and not be part of the conversations(Not me saying respond to everyone you make them feel bad.)
    Generally if I make a post and have to run out the door I come back scan through the rest of the topic to see if I'm quoted, if not I usually just /abandon or just read to see if the topic has changed or if its the same discussion...
    However if I see I've been quoted I thoroughly enjoy reading the response, then seeing if anyone responded to that response, etc, and replying to all parts of each following post I can...

for example...

OP: I like Blueberry pie, no other pie is worth while
    P1: Apple Pie is better
    P2: Key Lime Pie is best.
    Me: I think Raspberry pie is probably my favorite, but Blueberry is good too, However I don't like Cherry.
    P1: "quote P2" No Apple is better
    OP: "quote P1&P2" No Blueberry is best, yours aren't even pie.

I will just /abandon the thread.

OP: I like Blueberry pie, no other pie is worth while
    P1: Apple Pie is better
    P2: Key Lime Pie is best.
    Me: I think Raspberry pie is probably my favorite, but Blueberry is good too, However I don't like Cherry.
    P1: "quote P2" No Apple is better. "Quote Me" Raspberry is good too, but I still prefer Apple.
    OP: "quote P1" Raspberry isn't even a proper flavor of pie, how can it be good!?!?!
    P2: "quote OP" Raspberry is good, I still prefer Key Lime, but Blueberry is good too, but I agree, I don't like Cherry.

I would jump back in and respond again.

Yes, I know, Pie conversation is extremely stupid, of well... XD

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    <insert humanoid creature who lives under a bridge>.
    Homeless person?

It's all part of the posting experience.

You get acknowledged, you get ignored - you can't really expect for everyone to wait hand and feet, for your personal pleasyure.

Don't let it get to you - it's not anything personal (or there isn't enough evidence to suggest it is personal, like hazing).

If you're waiting for someone to respond to your responses, chances are, you're not really posting because you enjoy posting. You just like the attention of someone fawning over you. Posting isn't suppose to be someone waiting on you, hand and foot (that's the second time, I said that).

Just do the act and be done with it. Don't hesitate, and live on.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

I think it happens to me a bit, but I don't really mind it.Would you really want to hear the opinions of a mentally unstable man?

Quote Originally Posted by Helryx View Post
    I think it happens to me a bit, but I don't really mind it.Would you really want to hear the opinions of a mentally unstable man?
    Yes.

/10char

Deleted
    I like cheeese

I rarely post constructively so I get skipped over a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand what you're saying, but don't feel bad or discouraged!

If you feel like you've made a decent post(s) & you feel good about what you said/how you've said it, then just know that there are TONS of lurkers & ppl that don't reply or quote you & its b/c they already AGREE with you. I find more will ppl will bother to quote someone in order to disagree & then present their argument (or rampage/ramble/troll on) about why you're an idiot haha. ^_^

I've been here since April 2010 (lurked since 2008 or so) & only have 985+ posts. Compared to most who started around the same time or even later, I'm "behind" by sometimes thousands of posts. Not only do I lurk, but I don't want to spew nonsense, or quote somebody just to say "this^" & add a pointless reply just to post or add to my post count. I only reply/add my opinion/try to help when I really feel strongly about the thread or a post(s) in it or that I might actually be able to do some good by contributing. Yeah I have a few silly posts & a few quoted-to-agree posts, but not the majority.

Don't forget about the many lurkers. If there was an upvote-downvote option it would be really interesting, but its been requested since the before time, the long long ago, so *shrug.

Keep on posting, replying & starting threads. Just remember, you never know who reads it & is helped, made to smile, made to think/re-think or is touched in some way :)
    Last edited by sugarlily; 2014-06-14 at 09:00 AM.
    kintsukuroi
    ‘golden repair’, is the Japanese art of repairing pottery with gold or silver lacquer. The aesthetic philosophy focuses on imperfections rather than attempting to disguise them, with the intention that the piece becomes both more valuable and more beautiful because of its history and for having been broken.

More often than not people on these boards are only looking to argue, so you kind of need to be argumentative to get any kind of consistent replies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    I like cheeese
    Don't worry you're not getting skipped over. What kind of cheese?
    Hey everyone