WW1 Identification

This is a long shot, but I have just come into possession of an old photograph of my great grandfather during WW1. The photo is the only detail I have, and I was trying to identify what regiment he was in however my knowledge around this area is terrible.

Here is the full picture. The quality isn't great as I don't have a scanner.

This is a close up of the hat, which I thought could be used to identify the regiment based on the shape of the badge.

Is it possible to identify the regiment from his hat? Any help with this stuff would be much appreciated.

Thanks Rich! Knew you would be the one to help

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Score another one for Rich!

4 minutes after the thread was created, RICH won it.

The military man himself :P

I've kept searching, thought I would update this.

I have found this post that gives all the details, and I have confirmed with my gran that the stuff about WW1 is true. The Royal Artillary stuff jogged her memory a bit.

Andrew Joseph Phillips Lohoar, Aircraftman 2nd Class, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, Service No:1862704, aged 57. He was the son of Robert Lohoar (1858-1924) and Isabella Reynolds (1862-1941); they married in January 1885 in Clerkenwell. They had four children; Andrew was the oldest and was born on 12 October 1885 in Holborn. He was baptised on 31 October in Clerkenwell. In the 1891 census Robert was a warehouseman from Scotland. Andrew may have fought in WW1; there is a medal card for a Joseph P. A. Lohoar. If so, he was in the 42nd Brigade of the Royal Field Artillery as a Gunner, and then the Labour Corps. He married Ethel Phoebe Smith (1896-1982) on 11 April 1920 at St Thomas Parish Church, West Ham. They had seven children. Andrew became a post office porter in January 1925.At the time of his death, Ethel was living in Grays, Essex. He died on 23 May 1943 at the Metropole Hotel. He was buried on 29 May in Bournemouth North Cemetery: grave reference U3/95.
    Thanks so much, I would not have been able to find out all of this without the help here.

Deleted
    He joined the Labour Corps? That poor, dumb bastard, first he had the bad luck of being involved in WW1 then he gets drafted into the worst possible unit.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    He joined the Labour Corps? That poor, dumb bastard, first he had the bad luck of being involved in WW1 then he gets drafted into the worst possible unit.
    He wanted to fight in WWII, but he was too old for the army so he lied to the RAF about his age. I believe that is why he was at Bournemouth when the place was bombed. http://www.dorsetlife.co.uk/2013/04/...iest-air-raid/

Apparently he was a great bloke, but that is coming from family so there is surely some bias opinions :P

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I knew Rich would solve this mystery first. I love old black & white photos. I could look at them all day long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping View Post
    He wanted to fight in WWII, but he was too old for the army so he lied to the RAF about his age. I believe that is why he was at Bournemouth when the place was bombed. http://www.dorsetlife.co.uk/2013/04/...iest-air-raid/

Apparently he was a great bloke, but that is coming from family so there is surely some bias opinions :P
    My grandfather was RAF ground crew during the war, when he retired he moved to the Bournemouth area as he'd liked it when he was stationed around there. I know he was moved around quite a bit, but there is an off chance that the two may have met.

His cousin was a Spitfire pilot based in the South, and he had the fabulous name of Dick Cox.

Both dead now of course, but they never spoke about their experiences in the war beyond where they were stationed and such. I think they lost so many friends and colleagues that it was something they'd rather have forgotten. Reluctant heroes.