Is it possible to get back into hardcore raiding if you havent done it in years?

use to raid hardcore in vanilla/tbc and the first half of wotlk until i finally stopped, use to do progression raiding nearly 7 days a week when new content came out, was in top 20 world guild.

i skipped the rest of wotlk and cata and most of mop.

now im back but i find it hard to sit down for longer than 30min before i wanna get up and do something else......even doing some flex raids I was getting really really bored and impatient....last time i raided i was in a nice & smooth quick and fast guild where i knew everyone and everything was setup perfect and the raids would flow very nicely

i guess i came back at a really really bad time? maybe i shouldnt try raiding again lol.

Yes. And also, yeah, this is a bad time. There are no "hardcore" guilds still progressing. Maybe some semi serious guilds still working on Paragons/Garrosh, but I highly doubt anyone that can be considered hardcore is still progressing.

If I were you I'd apply to a 10 man guild that is 14/14H, making a transition to Mythic for WoD, and would be willing to take a chance on you.

If you have no attention span and no commitment to anything more than 30 minutes, you'll only be a hinderance even to a semi-hardcore guild.
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

in short, no.

if you cant be bothered to sit for more than 30 minutes without wanting to do something else, heroics arent for you.

lfr/flex/norms are a complete waste of time, of course he'd be bored of it near instantly.

Well TBC raiding and a bit of wrath raiding is not a very strong resume imo, it can mean a lot of things including being mediocre and carried. If you have the achievements though you can impress anyone that cares enough to figure out the timelines.

I'm in a strange situation, since my guild died off (it's as old as WoW is) I've had a lot of invitations to join the best guilds on my server. But If I look outside my server people won't look at me because of my lack of current/relevant content HC raiding. At the same time I find myself thinking about the offers on the table and turning them all down because I just can't be bothered anymore.

I think I want to raid but what I miss about raiding most is playing with all my buddies from my guild... For me atleast the hardest thing about proper raiding is accepting the dedication that is needed, because when I think it over I always decide its not for the best. For me it was the friends I made and played with over the years that made the sacrifices worthwhile.

Finding new friends that you have a good relationship with and putting in the time and effort to get back into the raiding game is not easy... Unless you want it purely for the ingame glory (a virtually non-existant thing these days) it's hard to find the reasons or motivation to convince yourself it is worthwhile.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

I'd say just wait for WoD and in the meantime write up a good app with some proof of your past raiding experience. SoO is complete garbage now and the only people progressing it are more casual guilds that wouldn't suit you and semi-hardcore guilds with problems that you wouldn't want to deal with.

Start fresh with WoD.

I know how you feel. I raided hardcore in Vanilla and haven't really done it since. I just don't have the patience to sit through LFR or Flex PUGs when I've run with such organized groups in the past. I've been fortunate though that my guild has stayed alive all these expansions later, so I have the option of jumping back in without too much trouble (if I felt like doing that).

Yes I'd say it's certainly possible to get back into it, but probably not right now. Like you said, it's a pretty bad time. My guild has been one of the most progressed through all of MoP, and only 2-3 of them log on at all anymore. Everyone's taking a break until WoD, because they plowed through SoO and collected everything they wanted months ago, and now there just isn't much left to do.

Wait until WoD drops and then try your hand at raiding again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sussex View Post
    use to raid hardcore in vanilla/tbc and the first half of wotlk until i finally stopped, use to do progression raiding nearly 7 days a week when new content came out, was in top 20 world guild. i skipped the rest of wotlk and cata and most of mop. now im back but i find it hard to sit down for longer than 30min before i wanna get up and do something else......even doing some flex raids I was getting really really bored and impatient....last time i raided i was in a nice & smooth quick and fast guild where i knew everyone and everything was setup perfect and the raids would flow very nicely

i guess i came back at a really really bad time? maybe i shouldnt try raiding again lol.
    Well, a super-serious guild finished with SoO a long time ago, but -- WoD changes to a fixed 20 person size for heroic (now called mythic) raiding. That means that a bunch of guilds are, eg, looking to merge their 10s teams, or grow them to 25s, in order to get in some practice for the next raid.

Personally, I would suggest you do try and get into a guild of the sort that you want, or at least a feeder guild that is serious enough you can get some current experience. That may not get you into any serious progression until WoD launches, but in seriousness: you probably don't want to try starting this at the start of WoD, you want to come in strong, right, with a chance that a serious guild would take you ... so get training now.

Especially because the raid world has changed a *lot* since TBC and Wrath. Mechanics, expectations, all pretty different now. Tanking is radically changes with active mitigation, other huge changes have landed. Without practice you will find yourself ... well, you might be fine, but it will be super-hard to convince anyone else, let alone the super-serious, about that.

Wait till WOD, but to be honest... It will be super hard for you. I tried to come back after long break but ended up getting super bored and distracted easily by other stuff just like you. Its just not the same feeling, dont waste time on it.

I can sympathise.

I find fighting the bosses fun, and the sense of progression fairly rewarding. However, it's the downtime between bosses that kills it for me. I have absolutely no patience in these situations. You need to dig deep to find a well oiled, flowing raid. Adds annoy me to no end too.

If I don't like the surroundings, I'll get bored very quickly. Partly why I couldn't stand MoP raids. Hated the theme. I'll be looking to start raiding at the start of WoD, but I'm pessimistic about it.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluttershy View Post
    lfr/flex/norms are a complete waste of time, of course he'd be bored of it near instantly.
    I never knew that 98% of WoW's playerbase was bored out of their mind constantly.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it's possible if you stick some time into WoW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?