Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

More Men Raped Than Women (Prison Statistics) According to Justice Department

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ped-than-women
    http://nplusonemag.com/issue-13/poli...he-crime-rate/

!!!Looks like I need to clarify as people don't seem to be willing to read any of the links. Prison rapes have never before been counted into national statistics.!!!

According to Rainn, there are 213,000 victims of sexual assault in the US every year. More than 9/10ths of those victims are women and girls. The numbers Rainn uses come from the DOJ National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS). The NCVS, though, is clear that its methodology for gathering sexual assault stats is pretty limited, and probably doesn't present a 100% accurate picture of what victims experience. The NCVS also doesn't seem to include prisoners (at least as far as I can tell), but would include people who were sexually assaulted in prison within the past year, but were out of prison at the time the NCVS was taken. So there's likely some overlap, although very small, between the two surveys.
    The real number seems to be 213000 outside prison with an additional 216000 (majority of which are men) in prisons. These are not individual rapes, but victims.

The title is a bit overreacting, but considering the information available, the massive under reporting of rape among men, as shown from these quotes from n+1 it is plausible.

Within a month of arriving at Clemens Unit, a temporary holding facility outside Houston for juveniles on their way to adult prison, Hulin was raped by another inmate. He asked to be moved out of harm’s way, but his request was denied, and the rapes continued. In a letter to prison authorities, he wrote, “I might die at any minute. Please sir, help me.” Help was not forthcoming: getting raped was not deemed urgent enough to meet the requirements of the prison’s emergency grievance criteria. When Hulin got his mother to complain to the prison’s warden, she was told that Hulin needed to “grow up” and “learn to deal with it.”
    Hulin’s method for dealing with it was to kill himself. Ten weeks after his arrival, he was discovered dangling from the ceiling of his cell.
    Roderick Johnson, a petty thief who was attacked by his roommate shortly after arriving at a Texas prison. Johnson asked to be transferred to a different section of the facility, and got his wish. But news of Johnson’s physical availability had spread throughout the complex—after you’re raped once, you’re marked—and he was soon enslaved by a gang. In addition to passing Johnson around among themselves, Johnson’s new overseers sold his ass and mouth to a variety of clients for $3 to $7, a competitive enough price that it resulted in multiple rapes every day for the eighteen months that Johnson spent in prison. When he went to the authorities, they laughed and told him to “fight or fuck.”
    From The Guardian

In January, prodded in part by outrage over a series of articles in the New York Review of Books, the Justice Department finally released an estimate of the prevalence of sexual abuse in penitentiaries. The reliance on filed complaints appeared to understate the problem. For 2008, for example, the government had previously tallied 935 confirmed instances of sexual abuse. After asking around, and performing some calculations, the Justice Department came up with a new number: 216,000. That's 216,000 victims, not instances. These victims are often assaulted multiple times over the course of the year. The Justice Department now seems to be saying that prison rape accounted for the majority of all rapes committed in the US in 2008, likely making the United States the first country in the history of the world to count more rapes for men than for women.
    This does not mean female prisoners aren't victimized as well.

"Inmates" also does not translate to "men". There are a whole lot of women in jail, and female prisoners are twice as likely to experience inmate-on-inmate sexual assault (male inmates are slightly more likely to experience assault at the hands of prison staff).
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2014-06-15 at 01:02 AM.

Deleted
    Misleading title all in all. You did forget the keyword "prison".

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobu Oshino View Post
    Misleading title all in all. You did forget the keyword "prison".
    Your point being? People in prison are still people. They still have rights. Not to mention that in the U.S you can get incarcerated for a million trivial things receiving disproportionate sentences. Read the articles please.

Another quote from n+1.

AMERICA’S PRISON SYSTEM is a moral catastrophe. The eerie sense of security that prevails on the streets of lower Manhattan obscures, and depends upon, a system of state-sponsored suffering as vicious and widespread as any in human history. Dismantling the system of American gulags, and holding accountable those responsible for their operation, presents the most urgent humanitarian imperative of our time.
    Progressives lament the growth of private prisons (prisons for profit). But it’s sadism, not avarice, that fuels the country’s prison crisis. Prisoners are not the victims of poor planning (as other progressive reformers have argued)—they are the victims of an ideological system that dehumanizes an entire class of human being and permits nearly infinite violence against it. As much as a physical space, prisons denote an ethical space, or, more precisely, a space where ordinary ethics are suspended. Bunk beds, in and of themselves, are not cruel and unusual. University dorms have bunk beds, too. What matters is what happens in those beds. In the dorm room, sex, typically consensual. In prisons, also sex, but often violent rape. The prisons are “overcrowded,” we are told (and, in fact, courts have ruled). “Overcrowding” is a euphemism for an authoritarian nightmare.
    As sites of governmental authority, prisons destabilize Weber’s definition of the state as the monopolist of violence. In prisons, the monopoly is suspended: anybody is free to commit rape and be reasonably assured that no state official will notice or care (barring those instances when the management knowingly encourages rape, unleashing favored inmates on troublemakers as a strategy for administrative control). The prison staff is above the law; the prison inmates, below it. Far from embodying the model of Bentham/Foucault’s panopticon— that is, one of total surveillance—America’s prisons are its blind spots, places where complaints cannot be heard and abuses cannot be seen. Though important symbols of bureaucratic authority, they are spaces that lie beyond our system of bureaucratic oversight. As far as the outside world is concerned, every American prison functions as a black site.
    The media mostly honors the government’s preference for leaving prisoners in the shadows. The nation’s prisons now contain more inhabitants than any American city save New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago. And yet there is no “prison correspondent” at any of the nation’s major newspapers. This isn’t entirely the papers’ fault. Even if reporters were sent to the prisons, they could be denied entry: the Supreme Court has ruled that the First Amendment does not prevent prison authorities from barring the press.
    And one more

FROM 1980 TO 2007, the number of prisoners held in the United States quadrupled to 2.3 million, with an additional 5 million on probation or parole. What Ayn Rand once called the “freest, noblest country in the history of the world” is now the most incarcerated, and the second-most incarcerated country in history, just barely edged out by Stalin’s Soviet Union. We’re used to hearing about the widening chasm between the haves and have-nots; we’re less accustomed to contemplating a more fundamental gap: the abyss that separates the fortunate majority, who control their own bodies, from the luckless minority, whose bodies are controlled, and defiled, by the state.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2014-06-15 at 12:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As soon as I read "inmates", all my hopes were gone...

(Hopes of having something like that outside of prisons in here, too!)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Your point being? People in prison are still people. They still have rights. Not to mention that in the U.S you can get incarcerated for a million trivial things receiving disproportionate sentences. Read the articles please.
    Because applying the statistics for one section of society to the whole of society is totally how it works.

Misrepresentation of statistics. Never once did I question what the statistics where saying but instead how you misrepresented it.

This just in, more men have prostate cancer than women! Change the thread title to include the word "in prison" so people can avoid this pointless thread which contains unsurprising information that LITERALLY HAS TO BE TRUE considering ~93% of all incarcerated people are male.

Because applying the statistics for one section of society to the whole of society is totally how it works.

Misrepresentation of statistics. Never once did I question what the statistics where saying but instead how you misrepresented it.
    And again you haven't read the article. Prison rape was never before added into national statistics.

According to Rainn, there are 213,000 victims of sexual assault in the US every year. More than 9/10ths of those victims are women and girls. The numbers Rainn uses come from the DOJ National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS). The NCVS, though, is clear that its methodology for gathering sexual assault stats is pretty limited, and probably doesn't present a 100% accurate picture of what victims experience. The NCVS also doesn't seem to include prisoners (at least as far as I can tell), but would include people who were sexually assaulted in prison within the past year, but were out of prison at the time the NCVS was taken. So there's likely some overlap, although very small, between the two surveys.

love threads like this, shows why we REALLY need the MRM. oh OBVIOUSLY rapes okay ifs its men in prison! how about we change the tables around. OBVIOUSLY rapes ok for women its in Prison!

and obvious reactions are Obvious. Rape doesnt count when its prison, Because. . . wait. i dont see a reason why it doesnt count. does Rape for Women only count outside of prison as well?

Rape shouldn't happen in prison. The prisoners are in state/federal custody, and that makes government complicit in rape.

Deleted
    And again you haven't read the article. Prison rape was never before added into national statistics.
    I'm seeing a lot of numbers and not a whole lot of conclusion or methodology. I'm seeing the same group of numbers being stated over and over again.

What is the number for prison rape? What is the percentage to gender?

When we get those we can begin to apply them the national statistics
    Last edited by mmoc6a25ff8f76; 2014-06-15 at 01:04 AM.

I'm seeing a lot of numbers and not a whole lot of conclusion of methodology.
    Read the articles please. I can't link the entire text of two articles here. Again the numbers for prison rapes are from the DoJ and the methodology is explained in The Guardian.

AGAIN PLEASE READ THE ARTICLES. Damn it.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2014-06-15 at 01:06 AM.

Deleted
    Read the articles please. I can't link the entire text of two articles here. Again the numbers for prison rapes are from the DoJ and the methodology is explained in The Guardian.
    I'm seeing the number for total is the US as 213,000 and the DoJ number being 216,000.

That tells me very little. Does the DoJ number not include prison occurrences?

inb4 feminist rage

[Infracted] - Please post constructively
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2014-06-15 at 01:31 AM.

I'm seeing the number for total is the US as 213,000 and the DoJ number being 216,000.

You are being obnoxious now. Please read the articles from The Guardian and the N+1. They elaborate on everything from national statistics to methodology applied by the DoJ.

No it does not.

As the articles clearly explain none of the crime statistics from the prison system are included in national statistics. Not rape, not murder, not assault. The Justice system counts things separately for the prison population. If it even bothers to count. Until now, they never even bothered to count the number of rapes.

I think total rapes in US ignores number of rapes in prison - which makes that the misleading number.
    And the DOJ number is only for prison rape, which I think includes women (in prison) as well.
    I skimmed the article, didn't read whole thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    I think total rapes in US ignores number of rapes in prison - which makes that the misleading number.
    And the DOJ number is only for prison rape, which I think includes women as well.
    I skipped the article, didn't read whole thing.
    So what we need is the prison male-to-female ration.

- - - Updated - - -

You are being obnoxious now. Please read the articles from The Guardian and the N+1. They elaborate on everything from national statistics to methodology applied by the DoJ.
    You've represented your statistics poorly, i'm not gonna bother reading something you can't represent properly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    There's no reason to bring feminism into this. This thread is actually about a male issue, so maybe you should focus on how to address that, rather than complaining about how much feminism hurts your feelings.
    Is this a male issue though? Rape is equally bad either way and should be treated as such.

So what we need is the prison male-to-female ration.

- - - Updated - - -

You've represented your statistics poorly, i'm not gonna bother reading something you can't represent properly.

- - - Updated - - -

Is this a male issue though? Rape is equally bad either way and should be treated as such.
    Female prison population is around 5 to 7 percents of the total population.

No it's not an exclusively male issue. But again I don't understand why refuse to actually read the articles, it would take 20 minutes of your life. It is more of a male issue, because of the institutional attitudes towards male victims. Authorities simply either ignore male victims or even go as far as outright mocking them, or intentionally exposing them to sexual assault, as a method of "crowd control" and "maintaining order".

- - - Updated - - -

I wasn't trying to write you an essay. I was trying to draw attention to an issue, and provided links to a more extensive and reputable source.

Deleted
    Female prison population is around 5 to 7 percents of the total population.
    I should've clarified, male-to-female ratio for the occurrence of sexual assault in prison.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rape is not a gender issue, its a power issue. Happens to both sexes in and out of prison, though rape happening against women is more commonly reported and talked about. And yes, it is shameful that there is almost only silence on attacks on men. Ultimately, though, its a power issue, the rapist wants total control of the victim. It should not be happening in prisons at all. The fact that it's a running joke that going to prison is a guaranteed rape sentence (regardless of how true that actually is) is pretty shameful in this country.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I wish some chick would rape the shit out of me.