Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Depressing times...

Hello, I don't know if this thread would be suitable to the forums or anything but leggo. Also If it's the wrong place to post then I'm sorry.

I've just turned 18, and it's great and everything. But I'll try to explain it as good as I possibly can. I've come to a realisation that when I'm dead I won't matter anymore, I believe that when a person dies. The person, dissapears. You have no memories before birth because of course you didn't live before that, when you die it will all be black you will go into the nothingness. It is a terrifying feeling, I can somewhat sense a darkness of it and it has turned my life after I became 18 into a more depressing period. Before I turned 18 I were looking forward for it, now I have no age to look forward to and it's terrifying.

I honestly don't know what answers I'm looking for, or if I even look for any answers at all. I just want some insight or at least something that could comfort me, I don't think I need any help from anyone into this field of profession (in real life) but I don't know who else to talk about this with. I don't want to make them as depressed as it makes me.

Anyways, thanks in advance and sorry for ruining your happy sunday night/morning or monday morning.

-edit- Also sorry for not organizing it, I just wrote what was on my mind and on the run. Again, sorry.

Deleted
    Yeah, used to be like you. The only thing you can do is accept you can't do jack about it and try to stop thinking about it.

That's it.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Live your life as you want your family and friends to remember you by. Thats all I can tell you.

The only thing I can say is that just because your life won't matter as history flows on, doesn't mean your life doesn't have meaning today. Our limited time is what makes it so precious, so use that time to live your life to the fullest, cherish your family and friends, and don't let the fact that you won't exist in a thousand years make you waste any of the time you do have.

10+ Year Old Account
    I try, every time I go to bed I keep thinking about random stuff. Which then leads to the depressing thoughts. I would also like to add that it really started when I started watching the history channel and space programs etc. I guess I'm like everyone else, waiting for the answer of life and it's mysteries like the big bang and before that, and afterlife. I really want the religious stuff to be real, but I don't believe in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can die tomorrow. You could die 30 years from now. You could die 100 years from now. Welcome to life, it ends. The only thing that will make you feel better is to live it. I'm not saying "YOLO"! Just enjoy what you have and have worked for while you have it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baileethemain View Post
    I try, every time I go to bed I keep thinking about random stuff. Which then leads to the depressing thoughts. I would also like to add that it really started when I started watching the history channel and space programs etc. I guess I'm like everyone else, waiting for the answer of life and it's mysteries like the big bang and before that, and afterlife. I really want the religious stuff to be real, but I don't believe in it.
    Yeah the thought came to me when I sat and read about some Swedish-Russian war on the internet lol. It comes when you least expect it.

The thoughts will fade over time, I can promise you that. You just have to accept death as it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    why torture yourself about things that are bigger than you. Just do what you have to do. Life will go on forever after you are gone to dust.

10+ Year Old Account
    None of that matters. If you're going out looking for a reason to live, you're not really living. Don't expect it. Just experience it.

I just turned 29, and I can say that I'm a much, much happier person than the 18 year old version of me was. Don't get all up in your head about existential issues, just have fun and find your meaning in your daily life and human interactions. There's a lot to be said for finding a good woman (or man) to love, a good sport to do, and a good drink or two that you like. If you get those things right, everything else is a rounding error.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Being known before you die is a legitimate aspiration and even though the people that hit the history books are few and far between, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
    Even if you don't want to leave behind a mark you could leave the stage for your future kin if you're into that by giving them a comfortable place to grow up on like a fatastic house in a fantastic area by simply just bettering yourself in the process.

A little effort can benefit others/your family or future family by a long run.

btw I'm 18 too. You might just be a little distressed because you're finally left to your own devices. Try not to think too, too hard about the end and embrace the journey along the way because we're certainly in a fantastic age that looks like it's on the brink of the age to the 'future'. Seriously, I can't wait to see what comes up after 70 years and I'll probably be telling people that they can't marry their holograms and it's okay because I'm a fossilized Human supremacist.

A little optimism helps despite what some people in mmochamp says otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't dwell on it man. Just remember, "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time!"

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why people end up believing in god , they don't want to accept the nothingness of death.

Not that I know what happens , but that is the most likely conclusion.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    Don't dwell on it man. Just remember, "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time!"
    What this man says! If you have a niggling idea of something that you want to do, do it! It could be as something as hard doing the violin or setting the world record for jogging through Sahara desert. Just do it because you certainly will regret not doing it when you get old and feeble!

Hello, I don't know if this thread would be suitable to the forums or anything but leggo. Also If it's the wrong place to post then I'm sorry.

I've just turned 18, and it's great and everything. But I'll try to explain it as good as I possibly can. I've come to a realisation that when I'm dead I won't matter anymore, I believe that when a person dies. The person, dissapears. You have no memories before birth because of course you didn't live before that, when you die it will all be black you will go into the nothingness. It is a terrifying feeling, I can somewhat sense a darkness of it and it has turned my life after I became 18 into a more depressing period. Before I turned 18 I were looking forward for it, now I have no age to look forward to and it's terrifying.

I honestly don't know what answers I'm looking for, or if I even look for any answers at all. I just want some insight or at least something that could comfort me, I don't think I need any help from anyone into this field of profession (in real life) but I don't know who else to talk about this with. I don't want to make them as depressed as it makes me.

Anyways, thanks in advance and sorry for ruining your happy sunday night/morning or monday morning.

-edit- Also sorry for not organizing it, I just wrote what was on my mind and on the run. Again, sorry.
    We all go through this journey OP, and there are several ways to come out of it.

My first question is. What are you afraid of exactly? Is it non existing or the fear of a painful dead? If I would be able to help you I need to know exactly what your scared of.

Deleted
    You're not depressed, you're 18. Common mistake really.

Get drunk, travel, fall in love. It'll be great, trust me.

Life seems so small comapared to all the lives before "you". If i sit on an structure that was made 7000 years ago, i can't help but think how small and meaningless it all is. As 7000 years ago, some fool sat there and made arrowheads of stone etc. What was the meaning of his life exactly, compared to mine, and all in between.

Anyway it doesn't matter, you won't get an answer to the meaning of life, or what happends after death, but you will find out one day
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

10+ Year Old Account
    It's the non existing part. When you grow up as a child or most or at least I had a feeling the world was based on yourself. After growing up I've come to the conclusion that that is not the fact. So yeah.

Just remember that nothing you have done or ever will do will ever matter. Life is absolutely pointless and no matter how hard you try you'll still die. Whether or not you enjoy life is trivial. Just do what I do: give up. If you learn to accept that your brief existence as a sentient bag of mostly water is meaningless, the pain and depression will either level out and become tolerable, or become so unbearable you commit suicide and end said pathetic existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Bananarez View Post
    Just remember that nothing you have done or ever will do will ever matter. Life is absolutely pointless and no matter how hard you try you'll still die. Whether or not you enjoy life is trivial. Just do what I do: give up. If you learn to accept that your brief existence as a sentient bag of mostly water is meaningless, the pain and depression will either level out and become tolerable, or become so unbearable you commit suicide and end said pathetic existence.
    Fuck, careful with all that edge. You don't realize how deep your pathetic ennui cuts!