The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.

Computer temp question.

I will try to be thorough with this, I am not the best with computers, so if I need to add more info please let me know.

Question: Does anyone know off hand, if the max operating temp states 70 degrees celsuis is that for the CPU or any of the temp readings? Using Speedfan.

So I was given a desktop:

HP
    System Model: P6-2133w
    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AM...20A6-3620.html

So I started it up, and it sounded a little bit loud. Pulled the side off, cleaned the bottom fan as best I could, couldn't reach the top fan without taking the computer apart further then I was comfortable with. Cleaned the entire inside off all in all best I could, it wasn't too dirty (minus the top fan on the back I can't get back to see it.)

Installed Speedfan, checked my speeds. Idle:

Temp 1-47
    Temp 2-42
    CPU-37
    GPU-39
    Fan 1- 1600rpm
    Fan 2-1500rpm

Then I installed WoW, and started playing.
    My computer's Max operating temp is 70 degrees Celsius.
    Temp 1 -52-67
    Temp 2 45
    CPU sometimes hit mid 50's.
    Fan 1 was going about 2200 rpms
    Fan 2 was about 1500-1550.

Does anyone know off hand, if the max operating temp states 70 degrees celsuis is that for the CPU or any of the temp readings?
    The computer runs nicely (free makes it better) but if the temp 1 reading is a issue, then I will gladly fork out some money to get it cleaned professoinaly (once again I'm not comfortable taking it apart further then I did already) if I am just being paranoid then I will chill out some.
    Thank you a head of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

10+ Year Old Account
    TL;DR... but if you're concerned about temps.

Quote Originally Posted by theostrichsays View Post
    Temp 1 -52-67
    Temp 2 45
    Everything is A-Ok, no need to worry about anything temp wise.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by theostrichsays View Post
    I will try to be thorough with this, I am not the best with computers, so if I need to add more info please let me know.

Question: Does anyone know off hand, if the max operating temp states 70 degrees celsuis is that for the CPU or any of the temp readings? Using Speedfan.

So I was given a desktop:

HP
    System Model: P6-2133w
    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AM...20A6-3620.html

So I started it up, and it sounded a little bit loud. Pulled the side off, cleaned the bottom fan as best I could, couldn't reach the top fan without taking the computer apart further then I was comfortable with. Cleaned the entire inside off all in all best I could, it wasn't too dirty (minus the top fan on the back I can't get back to see it.)

Installed Speedfan, checked my speeds. Idle:

Temp 1-47
    Temp 2-42
    CPU-37
    GPU-39
    Fan 1- 1600rpm
    Fan 2-1500rpm

Then I installed WoW, and started playing.
    My computer's Max operating temp is 70 degrees Celsius.
    Temp 1 -52-67
    Temp 2 45
    Fan 1 was going about 2200 rpms
    Fan 2 was about 1500-1550.

Does anyone know off hand, if the max operating temp states 70 degrees celsuis is that for the CPU or any of the temp readings?
    The computer runs nicely (free makes it better) but if the temp 1 reading is a issue, then I will gladly fork out some money to get it cleaned professoinaly (once again I'm not comfortable taking it apart further then I did already) if I am just being paranoid then I will chill out some.
    Thank you a head of time.
    your temps are fine, no risk for anything. personally i changed my cpu cooler a while ago because i just wasnt liking to be close to 70°C. but you dont really need to do anything.

if you want to read out temps better, dont use speed fan. i recommend HWMonitor.

if the PC is kinda old, open it up and get some compressed air in a can or maybe you know somewhere with a realy compressor and just blow it out completely.
    finally, if you're ever bored and decent with computers you could rearrange the cables (if they are a mess right now), can also help airflow.

also if you dont mind a bit louder operation, fill empty fan spots with some 120mm's

cheers!
    ps: you can always ask me about pc stuff

''My computer's Max operating temp is 70 degrees Celsius.''

This counts for all, not just you. If your CPU (processor) goes above 70°C its going melt down.

''Temp 1 -52-67''

I can't believe these numbers really with core 2 going at a normal 45°C. Try using Core-Temp for accurate temperature readings

And you only have to start stressing out if your PC goes rebooting all out of a sudden (it's a safety for when your PC is very, very Hot)

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    I appreicate the responses.

I downloaded the Core-Temp to see what it says. For the most part the 2 CPU readings between both programs are identical, with Core Temp maybe saying 1-2 degrees less.
    The highest I've seen the cPU was 63, but that was far and away the highest. But once more, thank you for the responses, I am fairly lost when it comes to computers, adn wasn't sure if I was just being paranoid or not.
    As far as the two cores being that far off that is just what the readings were giving me. Once I let it sit idle for a moment or two they drop back down within a few degrees of each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckystrike View Post
    This counts for all, not just you. If your CPU (processor) goes above 70°C its going melt down.
    I don't know where you heard that but you're 110% wrong. Stop spreading misinformation.

10+ Year Old Account
    ''My computer's Max operating temp is 70 degrees Celsius.''

Entirely false information.

Not only is 70c not the max operating temp of all CPU's, but that temp is definitely not going to melt anything. Granted, AMD cpu's may start to downclock above that range. Regardless, you aren't hitting that either way.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Eh.. no. AMD processors have lower operating temperatures than intel. Last 3 generations of intel processors all have thermal throttling at around 90-95C and if that does not hold the temperatures down and it increases to 98+, then the computer will shut down to prevent damage. 70C is nothing to a intel CPU really.

And not even AMD processors "melt down" at 70C, they just start thermal throttling and eventually may shut down, OP has nothing to worry about.
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Musta Kyy View Post
    Eh.. no. AMD processors have lower operating temperatures than intel. Last 3 generations of intel processors all have thermal throttling at around 90-95C and if that does not hold the temperatures down and it increases to 98+, then the computer will shut down to prevent damage. 70C is nothing to a intel CPU really.
    That's not entirely correct either. The latest intels are thermal throttling usually at 100C and shut down at 105C actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystrike
    Don't be ridiculous. Silicon has melting point of 1,414 °C and depending on the metal used on the heat spreader the melting point on that is usually from 600°C to 1500°C as well.

My computer's AMD Phenom X3 cores are regularly at 70+ °C. I haven't cleaned my system in over a year though and its peak summers here in India, with room temperature hovering around 45+ °C.

Screenshots below. Notice how the max temp touches 75 °C.

Core Temp:
    i.imgur.com/mtCxwS5.png

HW Monitor:
    i.imgur.com/T2iwKRA.jpg