Thread: Freeze Mage

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    its nowhere near as hard to beat as prenerf version , compared to 8 mana pyro and all freezes 1 mana cheaper todays freeze giants is cakewalk. im having ~90% win rate vs freeze giants with handlock and midrange druid.

someone still plays giants? all freeze mages i have seen are playing antonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    How do you beat that shit? Fucking turn 9 Alex into turn 10 [Assorted burn spells here] is literally an auto win against anybody that doesn't run heals. So do I just play an awful class and stack heals? Go back to playing Druid and hope to draw my one of Healing Touch? Keep on playing the class I actually want to play and just hope that I can maintain a 70% winrate against the rest of the field to counteract my losses?

I have an actual 0% winrate vs freeze mage this season so I'm open to suggestions unless it's "Don't let them reach turn 10" because Mirror image, Doomsayer, Cone of Cold, Frost Nova, Blizzard, Ice Block, and Flamestrike would all like a word with you regarding that matter, and the word is "lol"
    Mage decks are a natural counter to any minion based deck, especially in the late game. That's just the way it was designed, and why they've received several nerfs since launch (and why they are still really strong, despite the nerfs). Honestly, I wouldn't expect much to change, not until Blizzard gets their shit together and removes neutral cards from the game (and merges the class flavored ones appropriately). Neutral legendary minions throw the balance of the game off too much and Blizzard needs to do a better job of designing cards for balance sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    its nowhere near as hard to beat as prenerf version , compared to 8 mana pyro and all freezes 1 mana cheaper todays freeze giants is cakewalk. im having ~90% win rate vs freeze giants with handlock and midrange druid.
    Giants and Antonidas are wasted card slots according to Otter who strictly ranks up in Legend with Freeze Mage, and is usually top 20.

Control warrior is the highest dust content of any deck out there. You're saying the only counter is to have every *good* legendary??

Quote Originally Posted by Hugginz View Post
    Control warrior is the highest dust content of any deck out there. You're saying the only counter is to have every *good* legendary??
    Rush hunter is a good counter as well due to flare and generally not caring about freeze since they play charge minions.
    Last edited by Fluorescent0; 2014-06-17 at 02:02 AM.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

They can be frustrating on a Warlock, sure. I think double Flamestrike is probably the worst part :O

I can usually get them pretty low early on, but if they draw the right cards they can survive on fumes forever and then take you out with a few spells. Luck of the draw at that point.

I don't think heals do much other than buy you another turn.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    Thankfully I play control warrior. Free win against freeze mage. I usually end the game with more than 50 effective life.
    How do you beat a freeze mage with a control warrior? They have hardly any minions to control.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    They can be frustrating on a Warlock, sure. I think double Flamestrike is probably the worst part :O

I can usually get them pretty low early on, but if they draw the right cards they can survive on fumes forever and then take you out with a few spells. Luck of the draw at that point.

I don't think heals do much other than buy you another turn.

- - - Updated - - -

How do you beat a freeze mage with a control warrior? They have hardly any minions to control.

Armoring up alot.. thats really the only way, depending on how the mage plays it, if you can get high armor later on, the mage needs to remove that before your hp, granted, Alextraza helps alot in this case, but its not easy for the mage.

If you watched the Dreamhack tourny, youd have noticed that Rdu only won a few matches via lucky draws or misplays by his opponent

Freeze mages also have a very limited amount of total damage that they can do, which is usually countered by all the armoring up control warriors can do.

A freeze mage aims to win by Alex + double fireball/frostbolt/icelances with maybe 1 pyro, so you're looking at 15 + 12 + 6 + 8 = 41 to 51 worth of health, which a warrior can easily obtain by turn 11-12. Once you have ~20 armor as a warrior, you almost literally cannot lose vs a freeze mage, and it's pretty easy to get and keep that armor because the mage has no offense except for her hero ability for the first 9 or so turns.