Thread: Should I stop?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Should I stop?

I haven't been to the gym in about 2-3 weeks and when I was going to the gym I was lifting some heavy weights and taking whey protein shake after my workout and having pre-workout on my way to the gym.

Now I want to lose another 20kg so i'm going to just be doing mostly cardio until I get closer to my goal weight, should I stop taking the protein shakes until I start lifting again, like will the protein shakes effect my weight loss?

Doesn't work that way.

Weight gain - you eat more than you need.
    Weight loss - you eat less than you need.

Protein shakes are usually for getting your protein needs when gaining muscle. It's difficult to get your protein fill from just pure food itself.

If you want to lose weight, you should make sure you are eating less than what you burn off. I don't know your measurements so I can't tell you anything, but 20 kilos of fat (I assume you don't want to lose muscle here) is a lot, and if you were a bodybuilder already, you wouldn't ask this, so I'm assuming you're just overweight, in which case you should stay off protein shakes, minimize your fat intake and reduce the amount of simple carbs. If you don't want to lose muscle with the fat, you also want to keep lifting (maintenance). A few supplements could do a bit of good.

I can give you better advice if you provide some actual numbers (weight, height, waist circumference...) though.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinderofl View Post
    Doesn't work that way.

Weight gain - you eat more than you need.
    Weight loss - you eat less than you need.

Protein shakes are usually for getting your protein needs when gaining muscle. It's difficult to get your protein fill from just pure food itself.

If you want to lose weight, you should make sure you are eating less than what you burn off. I don't know your measurements so I can't tell you anything, but 20 kilos of fat (I assume you don't want to lose muscle here) is a lot, and if you were a bodybuilder already, you wouldn't ask this, so I'm assuming you're just overweight, in which case you should stay off protein shakes, minimize your fat intake and reduce the amount of simple carbs. If you don't want to lose muscle with the fat, you also want to keep lifting (maintenance). A few supplements could do a bit of good.

I can give you better advice if you provide some actual numbers (weight, height, waist circumference...) though.
    5'8, 21 yrs old, 110kg, don't have measurements, i eat about 1600 calories a day atm, go to the gym 4-5 times a week and walk around my hilly area 3-4 times a week

If you want to lose weight healthily, continuing to lift weights is a very, very good idea. There's a substantial "afterburn" effect that's induced from resistance training that increases your calorie consumption rate for more than a day following the training, as your body works to build and rebuild the muscles in response to the training. Whether you're going for aesthetics or health, lifting weights for strength and fitness should remain an important consideration.

If you're concerned that lifting weights will make it difficult to lose weight, don't be. Getting large muscular gains is difficult and requires significant amounts of food. If you're running a calorie deficit, the goal should be to keep as much of your muscle as possible, and that's encouraged by resistance training, getting enough protein, and getting enough fat (this emphatically does not mean a lot of fat, just that you don't want to go on an extreme low fat diet - cutting out fried foods and fatty cuts of meat is a good idea, avoiding all fats is not).

Deleted
    Short answer:
    At 1600 calories you shouldn't be taking protein shakes.

Long answer:
    Shakes are a supplement used for convenience as they are often the fastest and easier way for you to get another 20-25g+ of Protein into your diet. But like all food they are still energy.

At 1600 calories (which FYI is FAR too low for somebody of your weight) every calorie needs to count. You can't afford to be drinking ANY calories whatsoever. If you need more protein in your diet you need to be cooking up a piece of chicken because you'll be needing something solid to keep you feeling full.

Shakes are an easy way to get into bad eating habits. If you do not lift weights then you may not need to drink any, at all.

The hilly areas around your place seem ideal for building leg muscle. Walk, jog, run and sprint all over those mofo's. Sprint as hard as you can for as fast as you can. Until you puke. Building up large, solid leg muscles is key to ANY weight loss.Your legs will become furnaces in that they will continue to burn calories long after you are done running.

Even on a non exercise day, having solid leg muscles, such as a second year dancer may have, could burn upwards of 1600 cal / day at complete rest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskar000
    ...i eat about 1600 calories a day atm, go to the gym 4-5 times a week...
    I used to do that too, and most of my weight loss after 3 months was lean mass. You shouldn't cut that many calories from your diet.

I think your overall diet would play a bigger role, rather than just the use of protein drinks.

I would also look into circuit training routines... good overall body workout!

You should have regular exercise, overall diet bring no benefit to you.

Deleted
    Don't stop lifting weights in favor of cardio if the goal is weight loss. Long term weight lifting will produce better results than cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by lookperfection View Post
    You should have regular exercise, overall diet bring no benefit to you.
    I am not sure if I do not understand what you are trying to say but diet does have a huge effect when trying to lose weight and get in shape. This is the worst comment you could ever say to someone that is overweight.

Diet is not strictly eating only this or eating only that. A diet is a good way to begin a path down a healthier way of eating. You can exercise all day if you want but if you are not eating what your body needs then you will get no where.

If you are lifting weights and decide to cut fat or don't eat enough protein good luck getting anywhere. You will not get the same outcome if you are not eating like you should.

Your comment is not helping the thread.

OT: If you are only doing cardio I would continue with the protein. It is good long term energy and helps you feel full longer, hence you won't be tempted to eat something you shouldn't. However since you are not lifting weights you may not need as much to build muscle. I would suggest tracking your macros for a week and see how you feel. If you take two scoops of protein maybe now just take one. It all depends on you.
    Last edited by JLKrombacher; 2014-09-02 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brimdog View Post
    Shakes are an easy way to get into bad eating habits. If you do not lift weights then you may not need to drink any, at all.

The hilly areas around your place seem ideal for building leg muscle. Walk, jog, run and sprint all over those mofo's. Sprint as hard as you can for as fast as you can. Until you puke. Building up large, solid leg muscles is key to ANY weight loss.Your legs will become furnaces in that they will continue to burn calories long after you are done running.

Even on a non exercise day, having solid leg muscles, such as a second year dancer may have, could burn upwards of 1600 cal / day at complete rest.

''The hilly areas around your place seem ideal for building leg muscle '' ''Until you puke.''

thats bull dude. If you want leg muscles do leg weight excercises! And something workout out untill you puke aint a good sign either.

Deleted
    If you want to lose weight, just eat less but make sure you get your daily intake of protein. Personally not a big fan of protein shakes and like to get it from proper food.

I was 107 kilos, went down to 87 after 4 months of going to the gym almost every day 9 ( 4-7 days per week, depending on my schedule, in the days when I didn't go to the gym, I went out for a walk in the mountain, so I did excercise every day, unless I had some very urgent job ) with a week or so break after each month, so over the course of 5 months of dieting ( I prefer calling it "food regime" as I was simply eating healthy and regularly, every 2 hours, supplying my body with the stuff it needs eating only quality food and no artificial/synthesized shit ) I've spent around 4 months of daily 60-100 minute excercise and have lost 20 kilos. It has now been a month since I stopped working out at the gym ( since I graduate from high school and really have lots of stuff on my mind and also wanted to take a break from all this working out ) and I've lost another 5 kilos ( I am still eating healthy and regularly, but I do sometimes eat "normal" food ). Planning to go back to the gym for the final step of my workout plan after just a few weeks when my graduation ceremony is over.

FYI, while I excercised daily I did the following things: 30-50 minutes of cardio ( stationary bicycle ), 20-30 minutes of different weightlifting excercises for the various different muscles and parts of the body, a different set every day, 5-10 minutes of warm-up + stretching excercises at home, 10-20 minutes belly excercises

And yes, I did cardio and belly excercises every single day and only switched between several different sets of 20-30 minute weightlifting excercises. I have good stamina and burst power, but my best physical quality is my crazy recovery rate. I read on a lot of sites that I shouldn't push myself to train every day and that I shouldn't do the same excericses every day, but here I am 5 months later, weighing only 82 kilos, feeling better than ever. But that really is just me, I don't know about you, but among the people I know, there's noone that recovers as fast as me xD

PS: If you want details about my training program and/or diet ( or just want to ask me something ) just PM me, I'd gladly help you out anyway possible
    Last edited by Shinrael; 2015-05-18 at 01:47 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Guys this is a 1 year old necro.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    Keep lifting weights

Do hiit

Keep gulping down the whey

Drop all alcohol

profit.

- - - Updated - - -

http://bretcontreras.com/eat-lift-and-condition-to-lose-fat-and-maintain-muscle/

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    If you want to lose weight healthily, continuing to lift weights is a very, very good idea. There's a substantial "afterburn" effect that's induced from resistance training that increases your calorie consumption rate for more than a day following the training, as your body works to build and rebuild the muscles in response to the training. Whether you're going for aesthetics or health, lifting weights for strength and fitness should remain an important consideration.

If you're concerned that lifting weights will make it difficult to lose weight, don't be. Getting large muscular gains is difficult and requires significant amounts of food. If you're running a calorie deficit, the goal should be to keep as much of your muscle as possible, and that's encouraged by resistance training, getting enough protein, and getting enough fat (this emphatically does not mean a lot of fat, just that you don't want to go on an extreme low fat diet - cutting out fried foods and fatty cuts of meat is a good idea, avoiding all fats is not).
    Great post.

Big fan of your posts in general actually. You clearly know your stuff. Refreshing to see, especially on Sports / Fitness.

EDIT: Didn't mean to bump a necro. My bad.

Any smoking or alcholo would only hinder tat.

10+ Year Old Account
    A high protein intake and continuous weight training are both very important if you don't wanna lose a lot of muscle during your weight loss.