Thread: Rural flight

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    While I do not like the profession as a whole, I've found that people are pretty good at divesting themselves of their work when they're at home. I have a pretty couple pretty awesome friend/acquaintances (folks I'm not that close to, but hang out with) that are in law.
    Yeah that's why I said I know a handful, one of my best friends is a lawyer and my mother is a lawyer (well qualified but not working as one). It's just that the job (and other roles in law firms) attracts a lot of scumbags.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Ft. Collins is almost a Denver suburb at this point. There's almost no distinction between where Denver begins and FoCo begins.
    It is very sad what has happened to the Front Range. I grew up just east of Boulder in the 70s/80s, I cry every time I go back and see how it has been destroyed....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    One of the most awesome, silly guys I know is a lawyer. Probably compensates for the fact he works in divorce, which is incredibly depressing.
    I used to be an intern at family court. When I got bored I would read people's domestic violence reports and their temporary restraining order applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    I wish I could say the same for you, the one liners are getting old.

Heres a list of most dangerous neighborhoods in america, I don't even need to check it to know where they are.

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nei...neighborhoods/
    Is... that your way of saying you're posting a link without reading it? Maybe you should lol. Here's the top 10:

Camden, NJ
    (Whitman Park) 84.78 1 in 12
    Detroit, MI
    (Broadstreet Ave / Cortland St) 84.94 1 in 12
    Detroit, MI
    (Wyoming St / Orangelawn St) 85.91 1 in 12
    Rochester, NY
    (Orange St / W Broad St) 88.20 1 in 11
    Memphis, TN
    (Chelsea Ave / N Claybrook St) 88.77 1 in 11
    Rockford, IL
    (7th St / E Jefferson St) 89.70 1 in 11
    Saginaw, MI
    (E Holland Ave / E Genesee Ave) 93.65 1 in 11
    Atlanta, GA
    (Mcdaniel St SW / Mary St SW) 96.20 1 in 10
    Jackson, TN
    (James Buchanan Dr / 1st St) 97.50 1 in 10
    East St. Louis, IL
    (City Center) 100.97 1 in 10
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Rural folk are a bunch of ignorant morons!!!11!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/22/ed...22dropout.html

Yeah who cares what the data says, country people are STOOPID!
    I don't think dropout rates = intelligence.

Or that these stats are really comparable. What was the school attendance rate in the first place? Are urban and rural schools really the same thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Pretty much every city area over 10000 people, with the level of shittiness increasing exponentially with size. You could not offer me anything to live in L.A., NYC, Denver, Vancouver B.C., etc.
    Hatred of other people, I should've guessed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    You couldn't possibly be more arrogant. Your life must be pretty pathetic.
    Okay Mr. Offended.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Hatred of other people, I should've guessed.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay Mr. Offended.
    I like people actually, which is one reason I prefer a small town, much more friendly and helpful. I do however hate traffic and congestion.

For me it'd really depend on the city. I grew up in Athens, Greece. The neighborhood I lived in, Ilioupoli, has a population density of about 6,200/km2 (16,000/sq mi). It wasn't too bad. Never had the types of problems a lot of folks bring up. There are lots of big cities I'd like to live in. Parts of Manhattan are very nice (if I had the money to get a big fancy apartment), Vancouver, BC is wonderful. A lot of cities in Europe are great. Athens, Rome, Paris, Berlin.

But then again, there are definitely some urban areas I would avoid. I couldn't be paid enough to live in Detroit, New Orleans, Baltimore, St Louis, Caracas, Bogota, or anywhere in Honduras and South Africa.

Same for rural areas, my limited experiences there have all been very pleasant, peaceful, if boring because of how early everything closes. I'm a night owl, so being house-bound all night is sometimes very boring for me.