Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PSB View Post
    That's something I've thought about too, then I realized that everything I am is just memories of the past. Every time you wake up, it could be a new consciousness with the memories of the old one and the old one no longer exists. You would never know.
    Please don't fuck with my sleeping any more than with which it has already been fucked.

I really want the religious stuff to be real, but I don't believe in it.
    Not believing is a good part, but think a minute about eternal life, imagine 10000 years: you will be bored to death and probably insane. And it's miniscule compared to infinity. Honestly i would prefer my 90 ish lifetime to infinity anytime, not to mention some genocidal deities which i despise greatly.
    Anyway, on the topic. If you can't change things, why bother thinking about them? My personal meaning of life is to live as long as possible and as happily as possible. Start to work out, start to eat right (Buy a book called "Eat drink and be healthy" that will clear a lot of misconceptions about it), exercise, sleep right (another thing to consider) and so on. Happy part i still can't figure out, which sucks. But those are things i can control and will try my best to achieve those. I'm really having hard time to understand your point of view though, it's really bizarre to me that people are so much afraid to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Baileethemain View Post
    Hello, I don't know if this thread would be suitable to the forums or anything but leggo. Also If it's the wrong place to post then I'm sorry.

I've just turned 18, and it's great and everything. But I'll try to explain it as good as I possibly can. I've come to a realisation that when I'm dead I won't matter anymore, I believe that when a person dies. The person, dissapears. You have no memories before birth because of course you didn't live before that, when you die it will all be black you will go into the nothingness. It is a terrifying feeling, I can somewhat sense a darkness of it and it has turned my life after I became 18 into a more depressing period. Before I turned 18 I were looking forward for it, now I have no age to look forward to and it's terrifying.

I honestly don't know what answers I'm looking for, or if I even look for any answers at all. I just want some insight or at least something that could comfort me, I don't think I need any help from anyone into this field of profession (in real life) but I don't know who else to talk about this with. I don't want to make them as depressed as it makes me.

Anyways, thanks in advance and sorry for ruining your happy sunday night/morning or monday morning.

-edit- Also sorry for not organizing it, I just wrote what was on my mind and on the run. Again, sorry.
    You didn't exist for billions of years before you are born. Why is it a big deal that you will cease to exist after you die?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouzfun View Post
    Not believing is a good part, but think a minute about eternal life, imagine 10000 years: you will be bored to death and probably insane. And it's miniscule compared to infinity. Honestly i would prefer my 90 ish lifetime to infinity anytime, not to mention some genocidal deities which i despise greatly.
    Anyway, on the topic. If you can't change things, why bother thinking about them? My personal meaning of life is to live as long as possible and as happily as possible. Start to work out, start to eat right (Buy a book called "Eat drink and be healthy" that will clear a lot of misconceptions about it), exercise, sleep right (another thing to consider) and so on. Happy part i still can't figure out, which sucks. But those are things i can control and will try my best to achieve those. I'm really having hard time to understand your point of view though, it's really bizarre to me that people are so much afraid to die.

Not all afterlives involve eternal life. Some versions of reincarnation are like, you die, you chill for a bit in a half-way house to think about what you've done, then get reincarnated to give it another whirl for as long as you like and untill you get it right. That seems okay with me?

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Please don't fuck with my sleeping any more than with which it has already been fucked.
    Sorry, don't mean to ruin your ability to sleep. I was just trying to demonstrate that it ultimately doesn't matter if that's case. Enjoy life for what it is, don't dwell on what it might be (and I realize it's easier said than done).

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    The thoughts will fade over time, I can promise you that. You just have to accept death as it is.
    Not necessarily true. I've had a bleak outlook on life since before I was a teenager. Everyone says chin up and it'll get better. But it doesn't get better. Everyday I can think of nothing but how much I wish I would just die. And that's been a thing for a long time.

My advice OP is just come to terms with it. Yeah it sucks. None of us matter in the modern world. But that's the way it is. Oh well. Either try to make something of yourself by getting an okay job that lets you have some fun or just give up now. I honestly, 100% truth here, wish I wouldn't wake up. And everyday when I do it's the start of the worst day in my life. That's human existence for you. Completely worthless except for the 1% of people who have it all.

Edit: Oh yeah. I used to be religious and I've had some profound experiences in that. But after all of the suffering I realized God, or whoever, doesn't give a shit about us. So I guess I'm saying don't worry about the religious angle. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. So fuck 'em.
    Last edited by Spraxle; 2014-06-16 at 12:28 AM.

Reincarnated "you" is not really "you", since "you" are just memories in the brain that fires electricity occasionally. In that sense it's no different from dying in materialistic sense. Sure, some afterlives i would prefer over my 90 years on earth, too bad they aren't shown to be real, and that's the main point. If you believe things because they feel fuzzy and warm to you that's a bad way to live, being completely separated from reality, for me atleast.

Here is a video that might cheer you up.

10+ Year Old Account
    My only real advice here is to get older, acquire skills, be known by those skills even if only by your close friends, use those skills to contribute and keep yourself busy. Suddenly you'll have pride in something for a change and have the opportunity to feel productive and look back on your "mortality" phase and laugh like the rest of us do.

Seriously though, I'm 30 this year. Looking back on my "dark" time (around 16) makes me cringe uncontrollably at how much I thought any of that nonsense mattered.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Deleted
    Reincarnated "you" is not really "you", since "you" are just memories in the brain that fires electricity occasionally. In that sense it's no different from dying in materialistic sense. Sure, some afterlives i would prefer over my 90 years on earth, too bad they aren't shown to be real, and that's the main point. If you believe things because they feel fuzzy and warm to you that's a bad way to live, being completely separated from reality, for me atleast.
    Well, so long as my conciousness continues, I don't think I'd care. So long as the "me" that's still looking out through my eyeholes is still there, I'm game. Don't care if my memories are wiped.

People can believe whatever they want, so long as it doesn't harm others. If people want to separate themselves from reality, then that's their business. You're in a gaming forum, we all separate ourselves from reality to some extent or other when we play games, watch TV shows, etc. The extent to which you want to do that is only up to you, really. No wrong way to live (unless it harms others).

Quote Originally Posted by Spraxle View Post
    Not necessarily true. I've had a bleak outlook on life since before I was a teenager. Everyone says chin up and it'll get better. But it doesn't get better. Everyday I can think of nothing but how much I wish I would just die. And that's been a thing for a long time.

My advice OP is just come to terms with it. Yeah it sucks. None of us matter in the modern world. But that's the way it is. Oh well. Either try to make something of yourself by getting an okay job that lets you have some fun or just give up now. I honestly, 100% truth here, wish I wouldn't wake up. And everyday when I do it's the start of the worst day in my life. That's human existence for you. Completely worthless except for the 1% of people who have it all.

Edit: Oh yeah. I used to be religious and I've had some profound experiences in that. But after all of the suffering I realized God, or whoever, doesn't give a shit about us. So I guess I'm saying don't worry about the religious angle. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. So fuck 'em.
    Happiness is perspective. Even if you live in some shithole apartment, poor as hell eating cheap food, playing WoW all day, 3000 years ago, some guy who was royalty or a king or tribal chief or whatever had it ALL back in his day, has it shittier than you do. Imagine how little the peons had in the past compared to our peons of today. Happiness is a state of mind, nothing more, nothing less. Now that you know this, change your state of mind.

No wrong way to live (unless it harms others).
    Except the 1st world way of living harms everyone around them with pollution, waste of resources, etc. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Zurtle View Post
    Happiness is perspective. Even if you live in some shithole apartment, poor as hell eating cheap food, playing WoW all day, 3000 years ago, some guy who was royalty or a king or tribal chief or whatever had it ALL back in his day, has it shittier than you do. Imagine how little the peons had in the past compared to our peons of today. Happiness is a state of mind, nothing more, nothing less. Now that you know this, change your state of mind.
    LOL! Living life based on if someone has it better or worse then you is not a way to live. I do not care if someone is better or worse off then me. My life is the way it is and it's my life no one elses. The hippy state of mind thing is funny too. You can tell yourself everything is sun shine and lollipops, but if you don't truly believe that then it's not. It's okay I understand where you're coming from. I really do. You have good intentions. But not all of us want to live. Not everyone has the same opinion that life is wonderful and worth living/prolonging.
    Last edited by Spraxle; 2014-06-16 at 12:37 AM.

Deleted
    Except the 1st world way of living harms everyone around them with pollution, waste of resources, etc. Just saying.
    I don't think most people would disagree that the way we live isn't the correct way, though, if you are talking about perfection. Still, just because you can't reach perfection without getting rid of a lot of innate selfishness doesn't mean that we can't do our best when it comes to not torturing people to death because of our beliefs.

Edit: brain fart.

I don't think most people would disagree that the way we live isn't the correct way, though, if you are talking about perfection. Still, just because you can't reach perfection without getting rid of a lot of innate selfishness doesn't mean that we can't do our best when it comes to not torturing people to death because of our beliefs.

Edit: brain fart.
    I get what you're saying, but no matter what someones beliefs in some way or another are going to rub someone the wrong way. Not even talking about religious beliefs here. If you have an opinion someone is probably counter that, and you will butt heads with them over it. Hell I got screamed at in LFR for saying I didn't like GoT. I was savaged by a pack of fan boys who called me all kinds of things because I didn't enjoy their fandom. It's just human nature. We; humans, always hurt those around us. I am as guilty of that as the next person.

It's sucks to be you if you are hurt by someone calling you names, lol.

. You can tell yourself everything is sun shine and lollipops, but if you don't truly believe that then it's not. It's okay I understand where you're coming from. I really do. You have good intentions. But not all of us want to live. Not everyone has the same opinion that life is wonderful and worth living/prolonging.
    Belief is also a state of mind. Even if you had everything you ever wanted, your life probably would be shitty, because your perspective and attitude do not promote personal happiness. Adjusting your belief system or changing your happiness is really just an exercise in will power, do you have the will power to be happy? Perhaps you do, perhaps you do not.

Deleted

Then why not kill yourself if that's what you want? Or adopt a lifestyle so risky you go out in style.

Not to bum you out even more but

Beyond 10^100

The dark era of the universe

The last remaining black hole has evaporated.

From this point onwards the universe consists only of photons, neutrinos, electrons and positrons – with no way of interacting with each other.

The universe continues to expand forever... but is essentially dead.

The thing is everything comes and goes, Just enjoy yourself while we are all still here

Quote Originally Posted by Baileethemain View Post
    I try, every time I go to bed I keep thinking about random stuff. Which then leads to the depressing thoughts. I would also like to add that it really started when I started watching the history channel and space programs etc. I guess I'm like everyone else, waiting for the answer of life and it's mysteries like the big bang and before that, and afterlife. I really want the religious stuff to be real, but I don't believe in it.
    If you want the religious stuff to be real, I'd recommend talking to a pastor (leader), of whichever view you most want to be real. I full believe in the after life, but I do find it depressing that likely in 1-2 generations i'll be all but forgotten on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Then why not kill yourself if that's what you want? Or adopt a lifestyle so risky you go out in style.
    Obviously because I'm to big of a pussy to kill myself. But day by day we're working towards that goal. Fingers crossed!

It's sucks to be you if you are hurt by someone calling you names, lol.
    Not sure if that was at me. I don't care what other say to me/about me. I was using it as an example in that little conversation Erin and I had. But, bravo.

Quote Originally Posted by Zurtle View Post
    Belief is also a state of mind. Even if you had everything you ever wanted, your life probably would be shitty, because your perspective and attitude do not promote personal happiness. Adjusting your belief system or changing your happiness is really just an exercise in will power, do you have the will power to be happy? Perhaps you do, perhaps you do not.
    *nod* Things do not make someone happy. They're the tools to help in that regard. But you and I know that's like day 1 psychology ; P
    Last edited by Spraxle; 2014-06-16 at 12:53 AM.