Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Yes, because Vampirism isn't the main theme of either class.
    How is this any different than using Old God powers as a class theme? It isn't the main theme of a Shadow Priest any more than Vampirism is. The entire idea of Shadow Priest magic is deriving a balance between Light and Shadow, for there can not be Light without Darkness. It's balance of Life and Death, and Shadow Priests use Death magic. There's no Old God influence any more than there is Necromancy, despite the overarching theme of Vampirism, Death and Disease present in their abilities and overall class theme.

If you can draw a line of separation between Death Knights and a Shadow Priest, then there is separation between an Old God themed class and Shadow Priest in the same way. The case you presented previously is completely biased.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2014-06-22 at 11:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    How is this any different than using Old God powers as a class theme? It isn't the main theme of a Shadow Priest any more than Vampirism is. The entire idea of Shadow Priest magic is deriving a balance between Light and Shadow, for there can not be Light without Darkness. It's balance of Life and Death, and Shadow Priests use Death magic. There's no Old God influence any more than there is Necromancy, despite the overarching theme of Vampirism, Death and Disease present in their abilities and overall class theme.

If you can draw a line of separation between Death Knights and a Shadow Priest, then there is separation between an Old God themed class and Shadow Priest in the same way. The case you presented previously is completely biased.
    That was quite a jump. You went from Demon Hunters vs Warlocks back to this old God nonsense.

Again, the problem with an "Old God" themed class is that the only class-like abilities we've seen from their minions or themselves is shadow-based magic already found in existing classes.

It would be helpful of you could provide a WC3 hero/unit or a WoW NPC to base this class upon, and how this class would be different than existing classes. It would also be helpful if we could get an idea of what its three specs would be like. Give us something so we can know wth you're talking about.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2014-06-22 at 11:45 PM.

That was quite a jump. You went from Demon Hunters vs Warlocks back to this old God nonsense.
    Well when you're moving goalposts as often as you are, the argument doesn't tend to stay in the field as often as I'd like it to.

Again, the problem with an "Old God" themed class is that the only class-like abilities we've seen from their minions or themselves is shadow-based magic already found in existing classes.
    We don't need to see examples of anything that exists in game. The Monk brought in abilities we've never seen in Warcraft ever before. There are no class abilities that involved Mistweaving or drew powers from the Celestial Animals prior to MoP. We don't need an existing example to show that Blizzard is capable of creating new content loosely based on what we have seen before.

It would be helpful of you could provide a WC3 hero/unit or a WoW NPC to base this class upon, and how this class would be different than existing classes. It would also be helpful if we could get an idea of what its three specs would be like. Give us something so we can know wth you're talking about.
    While a Monk could be sourced to the Brewmaster, it is a wholly different concept that contains Mistweaving, Chi, Celestial Animals and overall, Martial Arts. These are all loosely based on the Brewmaster. Even the Brewmaster War3 hero has immediate overlap with existing classes, like Storm Earth and Fire with Shamans.

A Sea Lord class concept could be themed with Azshara and using Arcane powers of the Old Gods. Thunderstorms and Lightning attacks would be derived from a dark, primal source of power. This class is a spin on an 'Arcane Archer' archetype, based on the Sea Witch and flavoured with Azshara and the 'Dark Below' expansion themes.

They could have a Ranged DPS spec using Bows, an Absorb-based Healer spec based on Mana Shield, and a Caster spec based on using Arcane and Storm powers. They would wear Mail armor. A Naga race could be introduced to usher in this class.

The use of Arcane and Storm powers (derived from Old Gods/Maelstrom/Azshara) by the Sea Lord is no different than Warlocks using Fire and Shadow, Mages using Arcane, Fire and Frost and Shamans using Fire, Frost and Storm. Each class has a distinct source for their magic.

The inclusion of playable Naga would help the separate Sea Lord class from Shamans, considering Naga do not use Shamanistic magic. This would open up the use of Storm powers to races without Shamans, such as Gnomes, Forsaken, Humans, Blood Elves and Night Elves.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2014-06-23 at 12:50 AM.

It would also be helpful if we could get an idea of what its three specs would be like. Give us something so we can know wth you're talking about.
    We don't have to. Because nothing we create would be used by Blizzard. It's not a contest to see who has the best class pitch for the next expansion. Blizzard will design the class they want, in a way they want. Be it a Bard or a Demon Hunter or a Dragoon or whatever fantasy class they come up with. People want a Bard. And trust Blizzard will design the class well. Because they do. Monks do feel like monks. Warriors feel like warriors. Paladins feel like paladins. Priests feel like priests, etc.

You're just asking for 'specs' so you have something to nitpick about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't need to see examples of anything that exists in game. The Monk brought in abilities we've never seen in Warcraft ever before.
    I find that statement incredulous considering that there's a spec in the Monk class called the Brewmaster.

There are no class abilities that involved Mistweaving or drew powers from the Celestial Animals prior to MoP. We don't need an existing example to show that Blizzard is capable of creating new content loosely based on what we have seen before.
    Except every class in WoW had an existing example in WC3 before they became a WoW class. Warriors? Blademasters, Mountain Kings, Knights, Tauren Chieftains. Warlocks? Demon Hunters, Pitlords, Dreadlords. Mages? Archmages, Frostmages, Sorcerers. Death Knights? Death Knights, Necromancers, Lichs. Druids? Druid of the Claw, Druid of the Talon, Keeper of the Grove. Hunters? Archers, Rifleman, Huntresses, Priestess of the Moon, Beastmaster.

Why would the next class be any different?

While a Monk could be sourced to the Brewmaster, it is a wholly different concept that contains Mistweaving, Chi, Celestial Animals and overall, Martial Arts. These are all loosely based on the Brewmaster. Even the Brewmaster War3 hero has immediate overlap with existing classes, like Storm Earth and Fire with Shamans.
    In your opinion. In the majority and Blizzard's opinion, the Brewmaster was a martial arts hero unit that was based on Chinese folklore and martial arts. Your interpretation of what the Brewmaster was doesn't make it fact, its merely your opinion.

A Sea Lord class concept could be themed with Azshara and using Arcane powers of the Old Gods. Thunderstorms and Lightning attacks would be derived from a dark, primal source of power. This class is a spin on an 'Arcane Archer' archetype, based on the Sea Witch and flavoured with Azshara and the 'Dark Below' expansion themes.

They could have a Ranged DPS spec using Bows, an Absorb-based Healer spec based on Mana Shield, and a Caster spec based on using Arcane and Storm powers. They would wear Mail armor. A Naga race could be introduced to usher in this class.

The use of Arcane and Storm powers (derived from Old Gods/Maelstrom/Azshara) by the Sea Lord is no different than Warlocks using Fire and Shadow, Mages using Arcane, Fire and Frost and Shamans using Fire, Frost and Storm. Each class has a distinct source for their magic.

The inclusion of playable Naga would help the separate Sea Lord class from Shamans, considering Naga do not use Shamanistic magic. This would open up the use of Storm powers to races without Shamans, such as Gnomes, Forsaken, Humans, Blood Elves and Night Elves.
    As I said before, the problem with this class concept is that Hunters have Frozen Arrows, Mages have mana shield, and Shaman have a very close equivalent to Forked lightning. Also the concept is very Naga-centric. Furthermore, those specs are simply rehashes of current classes. Absorb Healing? Disc Priest. Arcane/Nature? Druids.

However, the way you laid it out above definitely gives it some weight. Its certianly more likely than a Demon Hunter, Dragonsworn, or a Bard. It has ties to WC3, it would fit a possible South Seas expansion, handle the bow problem, and give a good reason to bring in the Naga as a playable race.

Thus, I could see this concept as being a somewhat plausible future class.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather they stop adding classes and start balancing the current ones properly... we don't need another class, resources should be used on balance and more raids... SoO -> WoD is the longest and most dull wait-time ever. Even the wait after ICC wasn't this bad, and that was pretty bad.

The Monk brought in abilities we've never seen in Warcraft ever before.
    I find that statement incredulous
    This sums up your entire argument.

I find that statement incredulous considering that there's a spec in the Monk class called the Brewmaster.
    I find that statement incredulous considering the monk has other two specs that are NOT brewmaster, filled with abilities that are not 'WC3 Brewmaster'. Even the 'Brewmaster' have a lot of abilities that are not 'WC3 Brewmaster'.

Except every class in WoW had an existing example in WC3 before they became a WoW class.
    Why would the next class be any different?
    Variety? Maybe surprise the players?

In your opinion. In the majority and Blizzard's opinion, the Brewmaster was a martial arts hero unit that was based on Chinese folklore and martial arts. Your interpretation of what the Brewmaster was doesn't make it fact, its merely your opinion.
    You post your opinion as fact. That is wrong. The WC3 Brewmaster was not a martial artist or a monk or anything. He was just a drunk Pandaren. I wish peopl would just stop assuming the WC3 Brewmaster was always a monk just because MoP introduced the monk class with a spec called 'Brewmaster'. Need a remind you that there were no mention of monks at all for the Pandaren originally?

Quote Originally Posted by Rekuja View Post
    I'd rather they stop adding classes and start balancing the current ones properly... we don't need another class, resources should be used on balance and more raids... SoO -> WoD is the longest and most dull wait-time ever. Even the wait after ICC wasn't this bad, and that was pretty bad.
    They didn't have any new class to develop for WoD and the wait time is longer than ever, hard to blame it on new classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    This sums up your entire argument.
    My argument is that every class in WoW has its roots in the RTS. The Monk is no different. Your statement that we don't need examples of something existing in the game, and then using the Monk as an example is nonsense. The core of the class comes directly from the Brewmaster RTS. There were non-Pandaren Monks in WoW long before MoP. There were Monk-like classes in the WoW RPG, including the Brewmaster. A Monk themed class in WoW was pretty much a no-brainer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    You post your opinion as fact. That is wrong. The WC3 Brewmaster was not a martial artist or a monk or anything. He was just a drunk Pandaren. I wish peopl would just stop assuming the WC3 Brewmaster was always a monk just because MoP introduced the monk class with a spec called 'Brewmaster'. Need a remind you that there were no mention of monks at all for the Pandaren originally?
    http://i.imgur.com/pwH00l.jpg
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KFj7MzwUXW4/Ttzr2-5TGkI/AAAAAAAAAJk/_6Y9EvcOWVQ/s1600/f1250336752.jpg
    http://dotawallpaper.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Mangix-Pandaren-Brewmaster-dota-wallpaper-4.jpg
    http://dotawallpaper.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Mangix-Pandaren-Brewmaster-dota-wallpaper-3.jpg

People have been assuming the Brewmaster has been a Monk for a very long time.

That includes Blizzard, since they made it the basis of the Monk class.

My argument is that every class in WoW has its roots in the RTS. The Monk is no different. Your statement that we don't need examples of something existing in the game, and then using the Monk as an example is nonsense. The core of the class comes directly from the Brewmaster RTS. There were non-Pandaren Monks in WoW long before MoP. There were Monk-like classes in the WoW RPG, including the Brewmaster. A Monk themed class in WoW was pretty much a no-brainer.
    I brought up the point that Monks brought new spells and themes to the table and you answered by saying "That's ridiculous. They have a Brewmaster spec".

So really you didn't have a point. You ignored what I said, then decided to insert a blanket statement that doesn't address what I originally said.

There were Monk-like classes in the WoW RPG, including the Brewmaster
    The Brewmaster class in the WoW RPG was not a true Monk. They were the War3 Brewmaster's mechanics taken into RPG form, and focused on being drunk. The closest you could get was a Runemaster, and they didn't have any Martial Arts or Eastern themes at all. If we had a Runemaster class in WoW, it would have some pretty obvious overlap with Death Knights and Shamans where the Monk class would not.

All in all, you really don't have any points on what it requires to be a new class. Your points only indicate that we could never have gotten the Monk or Death Knight class.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2014-06-23 at 04:34 AM.

*sigh...*
    http://i.imgur.com/pwH00l.jpg
    Fan artwork. Not canon. Also: not monks, just the 3 spirits the Pandaren Brewmaster splits into when he uses his ultimate: a spellcaster and two warriors, one carrying two swords, and one carrying a rock. Nothing 'monk' on them.

Fan artwork. Not canon. Also: it's either three geomancers (air, fire and earth) Notice the stone arms on the Pandaren in the middle.

Fan artwork. Not canon.

People have been assuming the Brewmaster has been a Monk for a very long time.
    Get it in you head, Teriz: fan artwork is not canon. So stop posting them as evidence to your theories.

That includes Blizzard, since they made it the basis of the Monk class.
    Blizzard 'upgraded' the WC3 Pandaren Brewmaster into a monk over ten years after Warcraft 3.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it more likely for blizz to expand on more 4th specs for current classes.

Tank shamans using agi mail.
    Melee hunters instead of demon hunters.

This kind of thing. In fact, I'd rather see expanding on current classes rather than introduction of new ones.

Deleted
    I don't see a bard class happening in WoW, it simply doesn't fit the WoW universe.

Now that I think of it, I don't think I've ever even seen a bard-like NPC in WoW, unlike DKs and Monks before they were added to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by steristumpie View Post
    Melee hunters instead of demon hunters.
    Except hunters have nothing in common with demon hunters, besides there being "hunter" in their names. If it were to be anyones 4th spec it would probably go to warlocks, since demonology has quite a few demon hunter abilities already.

Either way, I don't think 4 specs will ever happen either, since that would bring over 3 times as much specs than a new class would to the game that need to be balanced.
    Last edited by mmoc9bca5565b2; 2014-06-23 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Well, there you go, that's that. Between her and that dwarven fiddler we have enough to work with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    *sigh...*

Fan artwork. Not canon. Also: not monks, just the 3 spirits the Pandaren Brewmaster splits into when he uses his ultimate: a spellcaster and two warriors, one carrying two swords, and one carrying a rock. Nothing 'monk' on them.
    Yes, all martial arts themed.

And btw, artwork by Samwise Didier isn't fan art. That's official Blizzard artwork.

- - - Updated - - -

I brought up the point that Monks brought new spells and themes to the table and you answered by saying "That's ridiculous. They have a Brewmaster spec".

So really you didn't have a point. You ignored what I said, then decided to insert a blanket statement that doesn't address what I originally said.
    Mistweaver had the same theme as the Brewmaster; Martial Arts and empowerment through brew.

The Brewmaster class in the WoW RPG was not a true Monk. They were the War3 Brewmaster's mechanics taken into RPG form, and focused on being drunk. The closest you could get was a Runemaster, and they didn't have any Martial Arts or Eastern themes at all. If we had a Runemaster class in WoW, it would have some pretty obvious overlap with Death Knights and Shamans where the Monk class would not.
    Pandaren brewmasters travel the world for new and exotic ingredients and recipes. These affable yet deadly warriors practice a unique combination of healing arts and martial skill. With their knowledge of alchemy, potion making and brewery, pandaren create superb ales and liquors that are welcome at any adventurer’s table either before or after a battle. Brewmasters practice a unique fighting style. They combine typical pandaren finesse and strength with the appearance of being drunk, stumbling apparently at random. When they sway to avoid a blow or swing a wild fist, their proficiency appears accidental.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Brewmaster

But yes, let's keep ignoring facts...

All in all, you really don't have any points on what it requires to be a new class. Your points only indicate that we could never have gotten the Monk or Death Knight class.
    Death knights brought in the undead theme, had no abilities in WoW class lineup from their WC3 hero unit, and were part of a large theme in the Warcraft universe that wasn't addressed by a class. No class could utilize their theme.

Monks brought in the martial arts theme, had no abilities in WoW class lineup from their WC3 hero unit, and were part of a large theme in the Warcraft universe that wasn't addressed by a class. No class could utilize their theme.

Its simple really.

Deleted
    How are bards supposed to go around the world solo? Every class to date has a dps spec, what would the Bard have?

Nah, I don't there's a new class coming out ever again. Race yes, Bard no.

There's way to much Balancing that will have to be done with Bard. It's a totally new concept. I'm sorry, who wants to play a musician in a world with Necromantic Warriors, stealthing assassins and spell flinging sorcerors?

There's way cooler Class Concepts out there like Dragon Knight or Titanborn imo.

Yes, all martial arts themed.
    Do tell how a Pandaren wearing a blue robe and a chinese straw hat wielding lightning magic is 'martial arts themed' and not simply 'oriental themed'.
    Do tell how a Pandaren wearing a green robe and carrying a big boulder is 'martial arts themed'.
    Do tell how a Pandaren wielding two swords of fire is 'martial arts themed'. Does that mean all Pandaren warriors are oriental martial artists?

Mistweaver had the same theme as the Brewmaster; Martial Arts and empowerment through brew.
    Except 'Mistweaver' isn't exactly about martial arts but actually manipulation of the magical mists to heal, is it not?

http://www.wowwiki.com/Brewmaster
    But yes, let's keep ignoring facts...
    Yeah. Knowing martial arts does not make one a monk. Nice generalization there. They just use, as you pointed out in bold, "typical pandaren finesse and strength with the appearance of being drunk". None, where you quoted, says they are monks. The Brewmasters in the WoW RPG are just that: Brewmasters. They are brewers, first and foremost. They can fight just because they are a player class, and so they need to know how to fight.
    EDIT: Oh, and 'martial skill' also applies to the knowledge of common weapons, as well. Warriors are martial fighters. It does not apply solely to oriental, unarmed martial arts.

Death knights brought in the undead theme, had no abilities in WoW class lineup from their WC3 hero unit, and were part of a large theme in the Warcraft universe that wasn't addressed by a class. No class could utilize their theme.
    Except, as proven already, with plenty of evidence, Shadow Priests and Warlocks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jabulaniman View Post
    How are bards supposed to go around the world solo? Every class to date has a dps spec, what would the Bard have?
    Bards in RPGs usually tend to be fairly good swashbucklers. The DnD Bard, for example, tends to be a pretty fair sword-fighter, with a bit of spellcasting to help his survivability.
    Last edited by Ielenia; 2014-06-23 at 03:18 PM.

Really bards... Not going to happen.
    What is more likely to see in the future is 4th specs for every class but Druids as they already have 4 specs.
    By doing this they open the ability to make more tank/heal able people.

.... I can hear the Druid qq now WHY don't we get a 5th spec....