Page 1 of 43
... LastLast

The Bard will be the next class in WoW. Here's why...

I was looking at fantasy character archetypes on tvtropes, and it seems a good deal of them are covered in WoW classes, except for a few. To explain, I'll list the current classes, and the archetypes they fulfill.

• Warrior--Fighter/Barbarian
    • Paladin--Paladin (oddly enough)
    • Death Knight--Dark Knight/Magic Knight/Necromancer
    • Hunter--Ranger
    • Shaman--Cleric/Elementalist
    • Rogue--Rogue/Swashbuckler
    • Druid--Druid (another strange origin)
    • Monk--Monk/Samurai
    • Priest--Cleric/Psion (for shadow)
    • Mage--Magician/Wizard
    • Warlock--Sorceror/Summoner

Of these archetypes, there are many that aren't exactly fulfilled, but are close enough to a class that their addition would likely be an additional spec (Warlord for Warrior, Templar for Priest/Paladin, DW Ranger/Dark Ranger for Hunter, etc.). Therefore, I feel that the only solid roles that a new class could come from would be the Bard, or a mixture of Engineer/Alchemist (likely in a Tinker class). A more fleshed out Psion could also possibly work, but with all the mind-using powers of the shadow priest, I'm not as sure as with the others.

The only armor class without three classes is mail, meaning the next class is likely to be a mail-wearer

Using D&D as an example, Bards are able to wear chainmail armor without a problem

Why the Bard is more likely than the Tinker

The Tinker, if it became a class, would be highly reliant on technological/magitech creations and various elixirs (if the Alchemist archetype was added, as it was in Guild Wars 2). In my opinion, this would be too close to the in-game professions of Engineering and Alchemy. I really don't see a way this class and profession(s) could coexist. Would Tinkers be forced to take Engineering and Alchemy as professions? Why couldn't someone with those professions have access to a large amount of Tinker spells? Blizz could retcon it as a Tinker having far greater knowledge than Engineers/Alchemists, but surely someone with 600+ points in the professions knows more than low level Tinker.

The Bard, however, has little problem with this. Only a few items (mostly trinkets or 2-handed axes) have anything to do with music, and those can be explained away easily, as non-bards can still play music, Bards would just be taught how to fuse magic with music. Easy peasy.

But....Demon Hunters....

I want Demon Hunters as much as the next guy. Glaives look awesome, blindfolds look awesome, and being Illidan Jr. is pretty awesome. However, I think Blizzard is making it pretty clear that characters wanting to be Demon Hunters should play Warlocks instead, and the likelihood of the DH as a class is getting pretty slim. Here's why,

1. Glyph of Demon Hunting exists, turning Warlocks into psudo-tanks by giving them some demonic features. Warriors don't get Glyph of Paladin-ing, giving them iconic paladin characteristics. It seems like this Glyph was supposed to be the fan service for Demon Hunter enthusiasts
    2. Demon Hunter spells from Warcraft 3 were given to other classes. Mana Burn was given to Priests, Evasion was given to Rogues, and Immolation and Metamorphosis were given to Warlocks. Monks and Death Knights, on the other hand, kept their WC3 powers.
    3. It would've been a good time for them in WoD. We're headed back to Draenor, which was Illidan's romping grounds (in the original reality). Demon Hunters could have been placed in as a class very easily here, but they weren't.

How would Blizzard fit Bards into the lore?

Extremely easily. Bards basically sing/tell tales of heroic deeds, and there have been a LOT of heroic deeds in WoW, especially in the last few years. Bard could easily pop up to sing about heroes stopping KJ/killing Arthas/fixing the Cataclysm/defeating Gary/whatever we do in Draenor. In fact, I'm surprised there aren't a ton of bards in-game already singing our praises.

But, Bard is a support role, and that's not part of the Holy Trinity

"World of Warcraft Lead System Designer Greg Street, aka ghostcrawler, along with the game's Technical Director Marco Koegler, told at ChinaJoy 2013 today that they are considering adding a supportive class that focuses on providing buff for the group. He didn't tell any other details about the new class. Another thing that can raise WoW fans' attention was that Greg Street teased this year's BlizzCon is a very good place and perfect time to announce the next expansion." --2p(dot)com/1081218_1/Blizzard-Considering-A-New-Supportive-Class-For-WoW(dot)htm

Even though Ghostcrawler is not on the team anymore, Blizzard could very well still be considering a "buff class." and Bard would be perfect for this. Instead of pumping out pure numbers, the Bard could inspire his allies to improve on their respective rolls, as well as cause the enemies to do less damage and take more. And that could be just one of the bard's spec. He could have another spec as a dedicated healer, mixing helpful buffs with direct healing, and a third spec as a full DPS, either using his jack-of-all-trades style to jump between melee and ranged, whichever suits him best, or attack from afar, mixing magic and music to damage mobs.

In that case, wouldn't you have to play the damage spec if you wanted to quest efficiently at all?

This is more my own speculation rather than reasons for Bard to be a class, but I believe a support/buff style spec would be fully capable of leveling alone. I feel this is accomplishable by writing the spells as such: "Increase X by Y% (split among a maximum of Z party members)." This way, bards are functional solo, in scenarios, in dungeons, and in raids. Say the spell increases damage by 10% split among 5 party members. In a group, everyone would receive a 2% boost, but solo the bard would receive all 10%, allowing him to deal reasonable damage by himself.

What about weapons? Don't Bards use musical instruments instead?

As I see it, there are a few ways to accomplish this, all relatively simple to do.

Method 1, The Monk solution: Similar to Monks, give the Bards whichever weapons needed, but rarely use them. Instead, design a lute (could be the same across the board, could vary based on faction/race/etc) and special strumming/singing animations for most attacks, much like how monks have special unarmed animations. The lute, in this case, would not be counted as an item.

Method 2, Instrumental Bungaloo: Add in instruments as a weapon category, with only Bards having proficiency. In this case, weapons could be either be off-hand weapons, hidden unless using them, or two-handed weapons, again with special animations. This would be more difficult than the first option, but not extremely. All that would need to be done would be sprinkling some instruments in various quests/dungeons, using a few different models for different expansions.

Method 3, the Method that nobody wants: No instrument/strumming animations at all, the bard simply sings. Easiest option, but also the most boring and disappointing. This would be like warriors without weapons, monks without kung fu, or death knights without noobs immediately rerolling to them upon level 55. It's simply iconic.

Nobody would take the Bard seriously, it would be the butt of so many jokes!

Gnomes are playable.
    Last edited by Coynage; 2014-06-16 at 05:30 AM.

I would want them to be able to attack with their instruments and I want to hear a discordant guitar-string snapping kachunk

I'll remember this thread in 2 years when the next wow expac comes and they never release a new class again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just see no use of a full on support class. We already have hybrids and raid utility abilities. What could a bard truly offer what a healer or a hybrid can not? You have to remember that in the end the bard will have to be useful enough in order to replace either a healing spot or a DPS spot and I just don't see Blizzard trying to balance a whole fight just so bards can be viable.

Taking the example of one of the bards "buffs" or abilities. Giving yourself a 10% dmg buff that scales depending on group size. You'd have to make that buff 100% for it to be even viable in 10/25 man mode. You would literally have to give the raid a spread 100% dmg buff for a bard not to be replaced by a DPS as the way I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellospally View Post
    I'll remember this thread in 2 years when the next wow expac comes and they never release a new class again.
    I'm not saying it will come in the next expansion or at all, I'm just saying if a 12th class would be added (which seems logical, as it would even numbers for tokens and armor classes), bard seems like it would be a very likely choice

If they won't add a "Tinker" class because its to gimmicky...I doubt they will add a bard
    Right...wrong...The universe doesn't care
    Driefal,Etrith(Retired)

While I do support the idea of Bards and even Tinkers, I cannot see either of em becoming a class before Demon Hunters. There's been way too many hints at Demon Hunters over the last few years, it's bound to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    While I do support the idea of Bards and even Tinkers, I cannot see either of em becoming a class before Demon Hunters. There's been way too many hints at Demon Hunters over the last few years, it's bound to happen.
    You mean all those hints pointing at Demonology being the playable demon hunter class?

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    You mean all those hints pointing at Demonology being the playable demon hunter class?
    Which were all the brainchild of the Warlock designer who no longer works at Blizzard?

Quote Originally Posted by Ermahgerd View Post
    I just see no use of a full on support class. We already have hybrids and raid utility abilities. What could a bard truly offer what a healer or a hybrid can not? You have to remember that in the end the bard will have to be useful enough in order to replace either a healing spot or a DPS spot and I just don't see Blizzard trying to balance a whole fight just so bards can be viable.

Taking the example of one of the bards "buffs" or abilities. Giving yourself a 10% dmg buff that scales depending on group size. You'd have to make that buff 100% for it to be even viable in 10/25 man mode. You would literally have to give the raid a spread 100% dmg buff for a bard not to be replaced by a DPS as the way I see it.
    Not even that, the bard is typically known as a jack of all trades, but a master in none. How the hell would that go over in WoW. Jk it wont, cause its terrible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    Which were all the brainchild of the Warlock designer who no longer works at Blizzard?
    You always get thirsty and show up when someone even mentions Demon Hunters, don't you? Please don't start this. Just. Don't.

Teriz has already outlined exactly why the Tinker will be the next class, his arguments are so sound I really can't see Bard happening

Every time I see bard done, it's done horribly wrong. I am a big fan of D&D bards... but I'm a big fan of D&D roguish characters in general, and rogues in wow are shallow pale reflections of what they could be. The problem is that bards and rogues are at their best when they don't have to fight; when they can out-wit, out-maneuver, or manipulate their opposition. WoW is a combat oriented game and, in those situations, bards (and most of a rogues versatility) are practically irrelevant.

Every class has at least one spec focused on damage. Damage dealing bards strain the bounds of credibility or end up some kind of hybrid mage/fighter... without being good at either. Not something I look forward to playing (I really do love playing a bard, but all my best moments were non-combat.) Not to mention that bard never had a strong showing in warcraft in the first place.

I think if they made a bard class, it would come out terrible. I have respect for them and their quality of product but WoW is just not designed to accommodate non-combat specializations. If you want to play a bard, make a combat rogue and inspire your allies yourself. If you want to theorize the next class, try to find a warcraft unit that has not been explored yet (spellbreaker maybe?)
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtrooperz View Post
    You always get thirsty and show up when someone even mentions Demon Hunters, don't you? Please don't start this. Just. Don't.
    Hey, you're back. Warlocks are fine where they are. I'm not starting anything, just laying out the truth. Even Ghostcrawler acknowledged that the Glyph of Demon Hunting is not a proper tanking spec for Warlocks, but they're keeping it in the game anyways because people are having fun with it. It's not a hint at anything.

I've got nothing against bards. I would like to see them playable someday. But if we get them before tinkers - and no offense OP, but you've got nothing original to say on that front - I will be...very disappointed.

I wouldn't mind a Bard class, but it doesn't really have any resonance with the Warcraft universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there a single case of a "combat-bard" at any point anywhere in the wow lore
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I wouldn't mind a Bard class, but it doesn't really have any resonance with the Warcraft universe.
    Pretty much what I was thinking, it just doesn't really fit in the Warcraft universe, to me it would seem quite out of place.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

10+ Year Old Account
    Bard will never happen because it will become mandatory to have one in every situation of the game. Blizzard doesn't like things that are mandatory. Unless they open up 4th spec and let other current classes spec into a Bard-of-sorts; it'll never happen.
    In the company of thieves, liars, beggars and whores
    I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    While this is true, Bards are certainly less objectionable than Tinkers or xXiLLiDanXxs running around. They could easily whip up some Bard lore that's less flimsy than some of the things WoW has had in the past.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW is not designed to allow for a support class, it would either be mandatory or completely useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.