Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

That's why you don't buy amd.

everyone always told me, stay away from amd, it's not reliable, their driver support sucks, bla bla bla, but did i listen? NO

as if the driver support wasn't enough of a issue now my card which is less than a month old just showed it's first signs of death

my machine:
    i5 4670k
    gigabyte z87- d3h
    corsair rm750w
    h90 watercolling system by corsair
    R9 280x MSI tfw (RIP) (will be getting a evga gtx 780)
    SSD kingston 3k 120gb
    2x barracuda harddrives 1tb
    16gb ram ripjawsX gskill 1600mhz

http://s28.postimg.org/5fx4jg0fx/Wo_...514_082534.jpg
    http://s28.postimg.org/gqzs7t7b1/Wo_...514_082536.jpg
    http://s28.postimg.org/6pqckr4u5/Wo_...514_082537.jpg
    http://s28.postimg.org/jfukxucsd/Wo_...514_082540.jpg
    http://s28.postimg.org/j71llnpdp/Wo_...514_082541.jpg

on it's first day i got the same problem while playing bf4, but i thought it was from mantle, and didn't gave a shit, until now.

what about you? share your experiences with AMD hardware

I've been running 2x HD6970s for almost 3 years now with no problems. You just got a bad card, RMA it.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    I had an AMD card once... once... long ago. Never again.

NVIDIA master race. Combined with an Intel processor.
    "The sword is mightier than the pen, and considerably easier to kill with."

Deleted
    Less a month old? That'd still be under warranty, not sure why you're complaining. I understand the hassle but not like you're out of pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyalo View Post
    Less a month old? That'd still be under warranty, not sure why you're complaining. I understand the hassle but not like you're out of pocket.
    yes, i just started the refund process, I'm a bit salty i know, but it's my second amd product that shows problems, i had a phenom II x4 965 be that died within 3months...

not only that, but nvidia drivers are so much better, just look at wildstar for example..

Just get your money back and put it towards a better (Nvidia) card.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've used a Radeon 3870 since it was launched in 2007; it still works flawlessly, almost 7 years later.
    While it's a tad outdated, I don't really use my PC for games that require better hardware.

Perhaps the problem is not an inherent hardware flaw, but something else?
    I've known a video card or two to be damaged by an inexperienced user playing with overclocking settings, or even due to improper handling during install.

But of course, it couldn't possibly be YOUR fault.

Deleted
    But of course, it couldn't possibly be YOUR fault.
    Impossible

Also anecdotal evidence, though I understand OPs frustration.

I've had issues with both NVIDIA and ATI cards. I've had both NVIDIA and ATI cards that ran great for years. I've had AMD and Intel processors that both worked wonderfully for years (I've not had any issues with CPUs ever).

anecdotal. Shit happens. If you would ever work a factory; you will never have 100% quality, some stuff will slip through. Think of the sheer numbers of units they produce, and even 10k bad ones is far within a reasonable tolerance of defects making it through ... and someone will get each one of those and some will chastise the brand for it.

Each time I've had an issue with a product, I've gotten it replaced, and the replacement worked great for the life of the product (until I replaced it for other reasons).

speaking of drivers; I had to run an old NVIDIA driver for over a year because most of last year, every new driver I'd try of theirs would crash both mine and my wife's (near identical built) PCs. It was just in recent months that we could upgrade from a Jan 2013 driver. You don't have to always get the lastest, sometimes, you need to go back and find one that works for you and keep it in case you test a newer one and it still doesn't work for you.

Calm down

Deleted
    Can we close this tread again. OP had a faulty card and he wanted to rant about it. He has done it, now we can move on again.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    I don't want to sound annoying here but NVIDIA cards paired with intel are just better.

calm down?? NOOOOOOO I MUST VENT MY RAGE!!1

haha, I do understand that shit happens, but still, it IS frustating

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sainur View Post
    I had an AMD card once... once... long ago. Never again.

NVIDIA master race. Combined with an Intel processor.
    ^ this 100%, its more expensive but worth every $. You get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Anium View Post
    I don't want to sound annoying here but NVIDIA cards paired with intel are just better.
    word, you pay more and get better quality.

Had AMD for the past 8 years, never experienced any problems. You probably got a faulty card.

Next time however, I will get NVIDIA simply because it seems like games are better optimized for it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zharradan View Post
    calm down?? NOOOOOOO I MUST VENT MY RAGE!!1

haha, I do understand that shit happens, but still, it IS frustating
    I understand that. It is annoying as shit when you bought something and it doesnt work. But all you did was spark another AMD vs Nvidia tread, which is totally useless.

Because just about everyone will come out saying "Nvidia + intel is the way to go" or "Nvida + intel works better than AMD + intel". Which is just utter bullshit.
    Both brands have driver issues, both brands will have faulty cards, both brands perform equally at the moment, etc.

I have had both Nvidia and AMD cards and I have had small issues with all of them.

Sorry you have bad luck. Might I suggest buying some sort of UPS to balance the incoming power out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Had AMD for the past 8 years, never experienced any problems. You probably got a faulty card.

Next time however, I will get NVIDIA simply because it seems like games are better optimized for it.
    I agree, I have used AMD-builds ever since I started building computers, which was about 5-6 years ago. Never had a problem.
    I've decided like you, to go with Nvidia(+Intel-cpu) in my next build but also to try something different for once.
    Last edited by Ozziee; 2014-06-16 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    I've had issues with both NVIDIA and ATI cards. I've had both NVIDIA and ATI cards that ran great for years. I've had AMD and Intel processors that both worked wonderfully for years (I've not had any issues with CPUs ever).

anecdotal. Shit happens. If you would ever work a factory; you will never have 100% quality, some stuff will slip through. Think of the sheer numbers of units they produce, and even 10k bad ones is far within a reasonable tolerance of defects making it through ... and someone will get each one of those and some will chastise the brand for it.

Each time I've had an issue with a product, I've gotten it replaced, and the replacement worked great for the life of the product (until I replaced it for other reasons).

speaking of drivers; I had to run an old NVIDIA driver for over a year because most of last year, every new driver I'd try of theirs would crash both mine and my wife's (near identical built) PCs. It was just in recent months that we could upgrade from a Jan 2013 driver. You don't have to always get the lastest, sometimes, you need to go back and find one that works for you and keep it in case you test a newer one and it still doesn't work for you.

Calm down
    LMFAO!

I had the exact same problem with my gtx 560SC, the nvidia drivers for it were shit for the better part of a year. I had to use the 320.14 driver or my PC would lock up and I'd have to power it down to be able to get it out of it.

I've used both and have noticed little difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

This is why I don't buy Cyrix CPU's any more... Am I doing it right?

On a side note - this type of thing can happen to any card, marking an entire brand as being bad because of one experience is kind of pointless. Like this thread.