Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Rupture dps gain?

Is rupture really worth keeping it up on targets? Ive seen people its useful and then its not useful. I feel that the 5 CP Eviscerate would be more damage in the long run especially with Revealing Strike 35% bonus increase. Let me know your guys feed back please and if it useful or not useful.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    rupture snapshots insight level, and is better damage per energy spent. If you're not energy capping (like during AR) then tossing a rupture that will last full duration is generally better than an eviscerate. Assuming you're also not blade flurrying.

I think rupture is better damage than eviscerate, and should be used regardless of energy regen.

Last I looked at it Rupture's DPS gain over Eviscerate, if used at exactly the right point in the rotation, is so marginal you'll hardly even notice it. As I recall using it sub-optimally (no or low insight I think) is actually a DPS loss.

So I'd say there's no point in cluttering up your rotation with it unless you're bored.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    cluttering up the rotation

rupture is always a dps gain as i understood it, provided you allow it to drop before reapplying

even if the dps gain is marginal and striving for 100% uptime may not be necesary to do decent dps it still has its uses as it's cheaper and does the same thing evisc does (knock 10s off of KS/AR) AND do slightly more dmg

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Last I looked at it Rupture's DPS gain over Eviscerate, if used at exactly the right point in the rotation, is so marginal you'll hardly even notice it. As I recall using it sub-optimally (no or low insight I think) is actually a DPS loss.

So I'd say there's no point in cluttering up your rotation with it unless you're bored.
    If rupture does more damage than eviscerate, it doesnt matter what insight level you use it at for a dps gain. Rupture is also a cheaper restless blades proc than eviscerate. IMO the only reason not to use rupture is laziness.

Combat has a fairly easy rotation, even with rupture, and is far from cluttered. It's spammy, but not cluttered.

I feel that the 5 CP Eviscerate would be more damage in the long run especially with Revealing Strike 35% bonus increase
    Rupture is also buffed by revealing strike.

<1% gain used perfectly, anything less than perfect will be a loss. If your raid isn't killing bosses because of that much damage, then you are not the problem.

The benefit of rupture isn't so much in it's own damage, but the fact that it will give you 5 combo pts worth of restless blades CD reduction with 10 less energy than eviscerate. So does it really make much difference? No. But if you're wanting to eeke out every last drop of resource, then yes use it at deep insight.

Rupture is a dps increase if it gets it's full duration. If rupture is ever clipped or the mob dies before it's full duration is up then it's a dps loss. Plus as stated before the dps gain is so small that it's not really a big deal so if you wanna make it easier and not have the possibility of screwing up and lowering your dps just don't use it.

Thanks for all the feedback! This last week of raiding ive been using eviscerate over Rupture and didn't see that much of a increase/decrease so I feel I am going to use rupture just so im not bored lol

Deleted
    The difference is hardly noticable. We are talking ~1% increase if used correctly (read: "perfectly").

Some general rules of thumb:

- Use Rupture at 5cps
    - Make sure that it will last its full duration per execution
    - Rupture damage is affected by Insight levels
    Last edited by mmoc558d4a3a35; 2014-06-18 at 01:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please read This until the end of the thread.

Stickies can be useful!

10+ Year Old Account
    As people have pointed, it's in fact a DPS increase.

Insight doesn't really matter since Rupture will deal more average damage than eviscerate regardless of BG. They both are buffed by the coef equally...
    Rupture costs less energy than Eviscerate, meaning that you'll have a better CD uptime using rupture due to faster Restless Blades.

Rules? Always at 5CP without clipping and for full duration.
    Never use it if you have targets to cleave, BF Evis is way better.

Everything I've read suggests that it's, at best, a 1% increase in damage. Typically it isn't even that big an increase and most sources agree you can get away without using it just fine.

It's worth pointing out that Rupture won't even be available for Combat Rogue's come 6.0.

The general consensus is that it isn't worth it unless you have the current boss on farm and know exactly when your Cooldowns/Bandit's Guile are going to line up, as well as how often you'll see them go up. Better to pay attention to other things instead, whether they be encounter-specific or rotation-specific (as Combat is about more than RvS > SS > Evis anyway, especially with Heroic/Warforged Assurance of Consequence).

As for the "Rupture is 10 energy cheaper than Evis" argument", that is why DPE (damage-per-energy) calculations are made. Even taking this in account, we're looking at a situational 0.5% gain at most. Also, once your Haste & Mastery reach ridiculous levels, the theoretical tempo gain from paying less energy on the finisher is almost irrelevant.

It's like Blizzard wanted to remove Rupture from the rotation, but couldn't bring themselves to do so mid-xpack with all the elitists breathing down their necks
    Last edited by Hotmail; 2014-06-19 at 12:05 AM.

It was nice having the CHOICE.

"Combat Rogues had the choice between finishing with Rupture, or Eviscerate. They had a choice between Fan Of Knives, or Blade Flurry for AoE. The difference was at times minimal, with only the more advanced players knowing exactly when and where each choice was optimal. By removing this choice, we are ensuring there is only one way to play: the right way."
    Last edited by thottstation; 2014-06-19 at 02:20 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaneesh View Post
    The general consensus is that it isn't worth it unless you have the current boss on farm and know exactly when your Cooldowns/Bandit's Guile are going to line up, as well as how often you'll see them go up. Better to pay attention to other things instead, whether they be encounter-specific or rotation-specific (as Combat is about more than RvS > SS > Evis anyway, especially with Heroic/Warforged Assurance of Consequence).

As for the "Rupture is 10 energy cheaper than Evis" argument", that is why DPE (damage-per-energy) calculations are made. Even taking this in account, we're looking at a situational 0.5% gain at most. Also, once your Haste & Mastery reach ridiculous levels, the theoretical tempo gain from paying less energy on the finisher is almost irrelevant.

It's like Blizzard wanted to remove Rupture from the rotation, but couldn't bring themselves to do so mid-xpack with all the elitists breathing down their necks
    It is not the first tier where Rupture has been rather voluntary. I agree with the fact that it might have an educational effect prior to 6.0 not to having to use it in the rotation, but in this specific tier it has been more about scaling. Personally, I would prefer it to have been a 3-5% increase to use it, thus making the 'advanced' rotation obligatory. (Even though it's not advanced at all.)

My advice: ignore Rupture.

As stated above, <1% dps gain at best, but often you will gap energy, or Rupture will expire and you will lose dps. Also, it is an extra thing to track, and it isn't copied during cleave. I would leave it out for sure. I don't even have it bound for Combat.

Such laziness across the entire thread, what's the point in playing this game at all as a DPS if you aren't DPS'ing properly? Not your problem if you aren't wiping by rupture gain %? Please...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kesther View Post
    Such laziness across the entire thread, what's the point in playing this game at all as a DPS if you aren't DPS'ing properly? Not your problem if you aren't wiping by rupture gain %? Please...
    Isn't the point of playing a DPS class properly to actually consider which skills to use? If an offensive skill isn't worth using (for a DPS increase), people will stop using it. It is really that simple