Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowyFanatic View Post
    Everyone gets labeled, be it by society, and certainly be themselves. Human identity is based on the ability to define. That being said, no one cares about moderates. People aren't out protesting people who quietly and honestly practice their beliefs. They protest those who try to force their beliefs on others or gain a special (and unconstitutional) privilege advantage. People get up in arms over the rejection of human inquiry and the spread of knowledge and education. This is a fight that has been taking place since the enlightenment. And fortunately, it is one that atheism will win out in a battle of attrition. Once people realize you don't need something, and that life has more value and wonder when you DON'T try and narrowly define it, they walk away from it at quite the rapid pace. As for what I believe, I only believe in those things which can be demonstrated clearly and are supported by evidence. And as I am not a sociopath, my value scale revolves around minimizing the suffering of my fellow man.
    Yea, I realize I am labeled, but my point is I "try" not to hold onto ideas to not fall into a situation where I'm unable to accept a changing situation. Which I think is always happening. For the record I don't disagree with what you've written here. I also understand the value of having an opposition or enemy. I truly do believe humanity will be in a better place if both sides learn to accept each other. Even value each other. I don't necessarily think it will solve war, but I think those that choose to do this will pave the way for our future civilizations.
    Last edited by Stonecloak; 2014-06-17 at 04:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    http://godisimaginary.com/index.htm You can prove that god does not exist quite easily.
    Without speaking to the validity of the page, the vast majority of those are directed at the Christian God specifically. Even if every one of those is true, that doesn't prove the larger question of God, only the smaller question of Christianity. (Again, not agreeing or disagreeing, just commenting.)

The topic as a whole doesn't surprise me; we have very different standards for who we date/marry/whatever than we do for others. I have many friends of many different faiths (and the person I would cite as my best friend that isn't my wife is a Mormon), but I would never have married someone who had strong Christian, Jewish, or Islamic beliefs, nor would I have seriously dated such a person.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know what's funny? I once read an article about online dating that said if you didn't have any type of religious affiliation you would be more likely to be contacted.

I think that people who aren't stupid know that there is more to a person than religion.

Quote Originally Posted by usiris View Post
    Replace god with higher power?
    Higher power only makes sense if you accept the fundamental precepts of Judeo-Christian cosmology. Basically, it's a euphemism for the God of the Bible.

I mean, you have to rely on the other person understanding what you mean when you even say "higher power". Ie, they have to be familiar with the Judeo-Christian God concept and understand that that's what you're referring to.

P.S. LaVey's Satanism hasn't been popular since the 90s :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by dusselldorf View Post
    Here is the definition:

If something is outside of the laws of nature or scientific understanding, it is, by definition, untestable. If something is not testable, you can draw no logical conclusion about its validity, as science and logic only operate upon what can be tested.
    That makes it currently not understandable, but the supernatrual can become the natural, as more knowledge is acquired. Happened a couple of times in history already. It comes down to perspective, lightining used to be the supernatural force of gods in the past, now we know it's a high amount of loaded particles creating an electric field which at some point causes a discharge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Higher power only makes sense if you accept the fundamental precepts of Judeo-Christian cosmology. Basically, it's a euphemism for the God of the Bible.

I mean, you have to rely on the other person understanding what you mean when you even say "higher power". Ie, they have to be familiar with the Judeo-Christian God concept and understand that that's what you're referring to.

P.S. LaVey's Satanism hasn't been popular since the 90s :P

When I say higher power, I was thinking of something like native american spirituality.

It does break down though if I were to say "fate" or "love" as a higher power.

(ps: when I say popular, I really meant the two I know <_<)

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    That makes it currently not understandable, but the supernatrual can become the natural, as more knowledge is acquired. Happened a couple of times in history already. It comes down to perspective, lightining used to be the supernatural force of gods in the past, now we know it's a high amount of loaded particles creating an electric field which at some point causes a discharge.
    Lightning was never supernatural. It was believed to be supernatural. The metaphysical idea of god is supernatural by definition. It is not an idea that we will one day realize is actually natural, because then it wouldn't be god.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Catch 22, if the supernatural becomes the natural, it was never supernatural to begin with, which in no way disproves the existence of the supernatural because, again, it's untestable by definition.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    Without speaking to the validity of the page, the vast majority of those are directed at the Christian God specifically.
    Our society is so Christian centric that when someone says "God" they are almost always speaking of a Judeo-Christian conceptualisation. Or a generalised version of same.

Taken in its broadest form, "god" could mean just about anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by usiris View Post
    When I say higher power, I was thinking of something like native american spirituality.

It does break down though if I were to say "fate" or "love" as a higher power.

(ps: when I say popular, I really meant the two I know <_<)
    They have Great Spirits I think.

Many pagan religions do not have a concept truly compatible with "higher power" and its connotations. For example, Zeus doesn't care if you're a good or bad person, he just cares if you mess with his sacred animals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry it took me so long to get to this.

We don't allow discussion of religion here and that's all this has turned into at this point. Closing.