Another stupid "new class idea" thread - Dragonsworn

Hello everyone,
    I'm an avid reader of the site and forums. I've read many threads about new class ideas, some are good, some are not. So, I decided to write my own class, that I would love to see ingame someday, besides I know this will never happens.
    I know that are thousand of threads like this one, but who cares?
    I'll just put the core idea and characteristics of the class. Don't cling to names (class, spec, skills), I'm horrible at it, just pay attention to the idea, please.
    Comments and suggestions are welcome, and just let me know if you find any writing mistake, my english is very bad.

Here goes the wall of text

Class: Dragonsworn

I - LORE
    What we know:

After the Cataclysm and the Fall of Deathwing, the Dragon Aspects lost part of his powers, became mortals and temporarily moved away of the problems of Azeroth (MoP). At that time, Wrathion has worked and prepared the mortal races (heroes) to face a greater evil (possibly the Burning Legion).

Speculation:
    WoD is coming, and with it the hope of reopening the history with the BL at the end of expansion. It's likely that Wrathion make an appearance, again.

Background:
    Since the first war that the mortal races are directly involved in the conflicts of Azeroth, causing or solving them. The mortal races eliminated two Old Gods (C'thun and Yog'saron), they expelled the BL from Azeroth, destroyed Lich King and his Scourge, helped in the battle against Deathwing, and fought the Sha. Now they will prevent the Iron Horde from invading and conquering Azeroth.
    Main Hypothesis:
    With all these virtues in helping to defend Azeroth and keep it safe from the bad guys, the Dragon Aspects have come to respect over the mortal races. So, Wrathion decided it was time to "gift" some worthy races with dragon powers, and created the League of Dragonsworn, a class of warriors with the ability to use draconic powers. The League of Dragonsworn has a mission to help the factions in the battle against the evil that is to come (BL perhaps?), and would be introduced in its expansion. (This is only the seed of the idea , which can be further developed)
    Other Assumptions:
    Besides the expansion involving the BL and Wrathion, this class can be introduced in any expansion with reference to the Aspects such as Emerald Dream or Infinite Dragonflight, and can easily be connected to Lore. The Dragon Aspects and respectives dragonflights have a rich plot that are easy to develop, and very cool.

II - Characteristcs and Gameplay:
    Dragonsworn (DS) is a hybrid class (tank, healer, dps), have a dual system resources , Mana and Dragon Orbs (stored up to 5). Mana is used to cast skills to generate Dragon Orbs, and these will be spent in iconic class skills (similar to Monks and Paladins). Also, they have a third energy bar called Dragon Rage, which slowly fills up during combat while using skills. The use of Dragon Rage makes the Dragonsworn becomes a kind of Dragonkin, improving their skills and granting some buffs. The origin of the power of DS is its link with the Dragon Aspects, using dragon skills and even invoking them for combat.

Armor: leather until lvl 40, then mail. Agility to tank and intellect to dps/healer.
    Weapons: daggers, fists, 1h maces / axes / swords. Do not use any type of 2 handers.
    Offhand: shields (3 specs) and offhands (dps / healer).
    Races: Alliance (Human, Draenei, Night Elf) / Horde (Orc, Tauren, Blood Elf) and Pandaren for both.

III – Specializations and sample abilities
    Specs
    : Protector (tank), Incantation (DPS), Life Giver (healer)

PROTECTOR
    Tank spec that uses weapon and shield, daggers may or may not be adjusted to spec, depends on the willingness of developers. I confess that I can't create anything new here, since Blizz is turning every tank really close to each other right now.

Sample Skills: [g] generates Dragon Orbs / [s] spends Dragon Orbs
    Mastery: Red Dragon Infuse - increases the effectiveness of Dragon Scale (buffs), and reduces the percentage of conversion of damage to Dragon Sickness.
    Dragon Scale - when hit, a percentage of damage is converted into Dragon Rage. Also gain defensive bonuses:
    > increases armor
    > increases chance to block and blocked damage
    > increases chance to parry
    Dragon Sickness (debuff) – whenever you avoid damage (with self shields, blocks or parry/dodge) you gain Dragon Sickness, reducing haste, mana regeneration and generation of Dragon Rage. Accumulates with time and can only be removed with Breath of the Dragon Queen.
    [g] Dragon's Claw - Attacks with weapon using draconic power hitting the target with full damage, and two other enemies with half damage. Generates 2 Dragon Orbs. (9s CD)
    [g] Shield Clash - attacks the enemy's body with the shield. Generates 1 Dragon Orb. Cause debuff.
    [g] Scorching Ground – uses draconic power to burn the earth, burning all targets around for 6s. Generates 1 Dragon Orb if 3 + targets are hit. Cause slow. (no CD, short cast)
    [s] Breath of the Dragon Queen - removes all Dragon Sickness. Costs 1 Dragon Orb.
    [s] Red Dragon Onslaught - uses the power of the Red Dragons to perform a massive attack on target with weapon. Extra damage if the target is burning. Costs 2 Dragon Orbs. Gain Dragon Scale (buff).
    [s] Barricade - imbue the shield with draconic power, reducing / absorbing magical damage taken. Costs 2 Dragon Orb. (medium CD)
    [s] Scorch of Recovery – invokes green flames of healing to recover HP. Costs 3 Dragon Orbs.
    Alexstrasza's Gift - uses the power of Alexstrasza to create a protective aura around himself, reducing damage taken by 20%, increasing HP by 10% and increases all healing received by 20%. (Strong defensive CD)
    Alexstrasza Presence - invokes an avatar of the Dragon Queen to the battlefield, increasing the HP by 10% and increasing healing received by 20% of all allies. (Raid defensive CD)
    Dragon Rage Form: Red Dragonkin - turns into an armed Red Dragonkin by 1s to every 10 Dragon Rage used (maximum of 150 for 15s), reducing all damage taken by 20% and removing the CD on all Dragon Orbs generating abilities. Immune to Dragon Sickness while in the Dragonkin form.

INCANTATION
    With the teachings of Kalecgos and the Blue Dragons, the Dragonsworn use control over Magic to amplify their attacks and destroy enemies. Caster DPS with different mechanics: using one type of magic, gains a bonus to another type of magic (works like an aura). There are 3 types of auras: Spell-Weaver Prestige, Life-Binder Emanation, Dreamer's Dream. Each spell has a specific bonus when cast on the right aura, as its description. Moreover, Incantations Dragonsworn generates Dragon Rage faster. I tried to create a new gameplay for caster dps, adding the bonus for staying in the right aura.

Mastery: Magic Piercing - increases the damage and effectiveness of skills when used in their respective auras.
    [g] Magic Beam - fires a beam of arcane energy. Generates 1 Dragon Orb. Spell-Weaver Prestige bonus: after the beam hits target, it spreads up in 4 other rays causing half damage each. Puts in Life-Binder Emanation.
    [g] Ardent Blaze – burn the target in flames over time. Generates 1 Dragon Orb. Life-Binder Emanation bonus: intensifies the flames causing fire damage on impact. Puts in Dreamer's Dream.
    [g] Poison Spit - hurls a ball of poison at target location, hitting all enemies in 10yd, causing poison damage over time. Stacks up to 3x. Generates 1 Dragon Orb. Dreamer's Dream bonus: throws a concentrated ball of venom, dealing damage on impact and another damage over time to the target only. Puts in Spell-Weaver Prestige.
    [s] Mana Bomb - spends up to 3 Dragon Orbs to create a Mana Bomb and throw at the target, causing massive arcane damage to all enemies in 10yd. 5s cast. Spell-Weaver Prestige bonus: makes the ability instant cast. Puts in Life-Binder Emanation.
    [s] Burst Flames - spends up to 3 Dragon Orbs to cast a beam of fire at the target, causing fire damage. Life -Binder Emanation bonus: consumes Ardent Blaze on target, provoking an internal explosion and causing massive fire damage. Puts on Dreamer's Dream .
    [s] Green Flames Rain - spends up to 3 Dragon Orbs to summon a rain of green flames in the designated area, dealing damage to enemies and healing allies over time. Dreamer's Dream bonus: consumes only 1 Dragon Orb for total power. Puts in Spell-Weaver Prestige.
    [s] Blaze of Execution - spends all Dragon Orbs to cause massive fire damage to the target. Only usable on targets below 20% HP.
    Might of Kalecgos - invokes an avatar of Kalecgos to the battlefield, weakening the defense and the strength of the enemy, increasing damage taken and reducing damage done. (Raid utility CD)
    Rage Dragon Form: Blue Dragonkin - turns into a blue caster dragonkin, by 1s for every 10 Dragon Rage used (maximum of 150 for 15s), reducing all damage taken by 20%. While in the form of Dragonkin, doubles the effectiveness of generation of Dragon Orbs and gains 15% haste.

LIFE GIVER
    Healer spec that toggles between regenerative healing flames of Green Dragons and the energy coming from the Emerald Dream. To avoid losing their power, the Life Giver needs to maintain a balance between the two sources of energy (shown like a bar in ui, as below).
    Flames <------------------------- | ------------------------> Emerald
    The energy will be consumed according to the type of skill used (flame or emerald), and the bar will slip in the same direction. The closer to the source the weaker the healing of that type and the cost of mana increases, the farther away the stronger it will be (doh). But if it reach its limites, the Life Giver will be unable to cast any skill for 5s. Main idea here is to keep players balancing between the two types of skills (flame and emerald), but can create their own strategy by building the energy bar to its limits.

Mastery: Dream of Flames - gains a bonus for a emerald skill every time you use a flame skill. Gains a bonus for a flame skill every time you use a emerald skill. Also increases all non-periodic heals cast.
    [g] Flames of Healing - casts a quick green flame regenerative to heal an ally. Generates 1 Dragon Orb. Short cast, high cost. (flame skill)
    [g] High Flames of Healing - casts a powerful green flame regenerative to heal an ally. Generates 1 Dragon Orb. Long cast, low cost. (flame skill)
    [g] Corroborant Dream - absorbs energy from the Emerald Dream to cure an ally's HP, then jumps to two more injured allies around. Generates 1 Dragon Orb. Instant cast. (short CD) (emerald skill)
    [s] Emerald Mirror - creates an aura around the ally, transfering an amount of damage taken to the Emerald Dream. Costs 2 Dragon Orbs. Instant cast, 2 charges. (medium CD, 20 ~ 30s) (emerald skill)
    [s] Journey Through the Dream - uses a large amount of energy from the Emerald Dream to cast a strong heal on the ally. Costs 2 Dragon Orbs. (strong single target heal, short CD) (emerald skill)
    [s] Restoration Blazes - casts a ball of regenerative flames on target, restoring an amount of HP to the target on impact, and another amount on all allies in 10yd over time. Costs 2 Dragon Orb. (flame skill)
    Emerald Sensation - creates a sense of relief in the mind of ally, making him feel like you're in the Emerald Dream, recovering HP over time. (hot) (emerald skill)
    Warm Land - makes the ground burn with green flames in the designated area, recovering HP for all allies over time. (AoE hot) (flame skill)
    Dragon Skin - turns the allies skin as hard as the skin of a dragon, reducing all damage taken. (external defensive CD)
    Tears of the Green Dragon - invokes an avatar of Ysera to the battlefield, healing all allies over time. (Raid heal CD) Channeled.
    Dragon Rage Form: Green Dragonkin - becomes a caster green dragonkin by 1s for every 10 Dragon Rage used (maximum of 150 for 15s), reducing all damage taken by 20%, and increasing the effectiveness of healing skills by 20%. While in the dragonkin form, flame skills become instant cast.

Shared Skills
    Dragon Breath
    - Costs 2 Dragon Orbs. Iconic class skill, effects according to the spec:
    > (Tank) Fire breath in a cone in front of the target, hitting all enemies with fire damage and causing them to burn over time.
    > (Dps) Arcane Breath on target, hitting all enemies in 10yd with arcane damage and reducing their resistance to the attacks of DS (like Colossus Smash for warriors, with a medium CD).
    > (Healer) Nature breath in 30yd radius, dealing damage to enemies and healing all allies over time.
    Emerald Absorbtion - absorbs energy from the Emerald Dream to recover HP over time. (hot self heal CD)
    Magic Lock - uses the power of the Blue Dragon to interrupt spellcasting and preventing the cast for a while. (interrupt)
    Time Stop - uses the power of Bronze Dragons to stop time to the enemy, causing stun for a while. (stun CD)
    Nozdormu's Grandiosity - invokes an avatar of Nozdormu to the battlefield, reducing cast speed, attack speed and movement speed of all enemies in 30yd. (raid utility CD, pvp centered)
    Black Prince's Insurgency - invokes an avatar of Wrathion to the battlefield, allowing allies to deal extra damage on each skill used in the form of black fire. (raid damage CD)
    Dragon Aspects Guidance - invokes the power of the four aspects to strengthen all allies. Heroism/Bloodlust/Time Warp type ability.

IV – Conclusion
    I tried to create new mechanics here, and I think I've done well with dps and healer spec, but to be honest, I don't like the tank spec very much.
    And this is my new class idea, hope you enjoyed it
    Thank you for taking the time to read this thread. Please, give any feedback you have, I'll be happy.

Q & A
    Why Blizzard should choose this class over other suggested classes?

Here are some good arguments for this:
    1- this is an unique class, and not a gimmick of classes or professions. And I think creating a new class from scracth is more cool than adding some randon class from WC series.
    2- it fits with current lore and can have a strong connection with future lores.
    3- the game have almost 10 years (even more if you consider wc1) and is centered around humans, orcs and demons. Adding some Dragons (their appearance till now is neglected) lore to the game could be very cool, and allows the developers to go deep within it.
    4- it fits the needs of developers for class with the holy trinity specs, and to balance the mail users.
    5- finally, this class can easily be created as a Hero Class, but not need to be.

A dragon based class sounds a little OP, doesn't it?
    It's all about class balance, and the developers are very good at it. And just to clarify, this is a new class not a new race, they are all mortals like everyone else.

Hmm, what about the 2 handers prohibition?
    I thought on focusing in 1 handers to balance weapon users. As in WoD the stats on gear will be spec based, it doesn't sounds like a problem to me.

Do you think that Blizzard can introduce this class in game sometime?
    I don't think so. This is just a fanboy work, I'm not presumptuous to the point of believing that the blizz developers will buy the idea. If a class will be introduced in next expansions, I bet in Tinkers or Demon Hunters. But, who knows... a man can dream, right?
    Don't make funny of me, If you don't understand what I said.
    I'm just a guy with poor studies, that don't have english as first language

Skimmed it and looks alright from what I've read, will give it a full read later. Only thing I'd say is I'd make the blue flight themed spec into battle mages or 'spell wardens' just to fulfill my own personal desire for battle mage archetype but that's just my personal wish fulfillment.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem I have with Dragonsworn concept is three-fold;

1. The resulting class doesn't differ much from existing classes beyond simply having abilities with dragon names attached to them.
    2. The very nature of class clashes with its own lore (the very nature of a Dragon sworn is that they're loyal to one Dragonflight).
    3. Several dragonflights are already attached to existing classes (Green=Druid, Blue=Mages, etc.).

In any case, excellent OP.

Deleted
    well, I'm not fan of idea because don't rly like dragons but concept is well made.

Deleted
    I wish people like the OP would put all this energy they seem to have into something that benefits mankind instead of this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice post OP, and a nice change of pace from the constant Tinker/Demon Hunter etc class threads.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

To add to OP's Idea, i have some brainstorming of my own to add to the class structure and tying it imore nto lore.

Currently there are seperate groups of mortal keepers that do the work of the dragon flights now and support them, like the Time Keepers. What if we had a class based on this with specs based on the flights?

a class of warriors that are raised on the principles of all the flights and represent a united front of the dragons. On the cusp of their loss of power and endangerment, desperate measures are undertaken and dragonsworn are "sworn" to this united front rather than just any one flight.

We can also possibly tie in with Wrathion's efforts (manipulations from the background to keep people unaware of his involvement) to manipulate events so the dragon flights help in creating capable warriors to help secure the mortal dragon flights place on azeroth and participate in the problems that affect azeroth (and now affect them too as a mortal race who cannot keep themselves apart from its problems; Though in wrathions case he's just creating more soldiers for the army against the Legion).

Developed from the remaining research of Neltherian into the chromatic flight and remnants of his nether flight research (that was mostly used by deathwing). Rather than focusing the power of all flights altogether (proven to be unstable), they specialize into certain roles that only use a few of the disciplines (IE a certain combination of the flights related powers for the role)

Chromatic Dragonsworn/keepers

A few special abilities and potent talent spells developed from research into the nether drakes.

spells based on the flight Blue (magic), Bronze (time), Red (life), Black (earth) and Green (nature). specs more centric on certain flights

Ranged, healing and tank. Mail users as OP stated

Ranged dps - Blue-bronze-black,
    healing - Red-green-bronze
    Tank - Black-Red-bronze
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2014-06-17 at 01:26 PM.

the resource mechanic...Instability? Based on the unstable nature of the chromatic flight and the nether-imbued improvements we saw

the class has a bar that is empty, using certain abilities (like healing others, offensive powers) causes it to fill up and make the character "unstable" or unable to cast abilities if the maximum is hit. The bar reduces slowly by itself.

The class has a number of temporary "self buffs" to buff certain types of damage and/or imbue next use of an ability more powerful, do something extra or something different based on the temporary buff boost you chose. Defensive, healing and offensive versions exist depending on each spec. all themed on the dragon flights.

These temp boosts, as well as procs placed on certain abilities and dots/special talents , reduces the instability ontop of providing the temporary buff, allowing you to cast direct abilities again.

sort of like a reverse rage, where filling up is a bad thing and you try to reduce the "energy" pool.

The idea ofcourse needs a lot of refinement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Nice post OP, and a nice change of pace from the constant Tinker/Demon Hunter etc class threads.
    Well apart from that the OP did some extensive work (kudos for that), Dragonsworn had been mentioned so many times already on this very board.

Personally, I'd like everyone to shut up about any new class. Especially Tinkers/Bards/Demonhunters and yes Dragonsworn too (though dragonsworn sort of tickles my imagination). It is a waste of time. Sure if you find it fun to discuss, by all means. I don't visit those threads usually. But it does clutter op the first page, which annoys me.

While having a new class in WoW could be fun (especially for all those people who love making alts or change classes), do you not see how hard it would be to get a new class into WoW? Almost everything is covered or would be a copy from existing classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    While having a new class in WoW could be fun (especially for all those people who love making alts or change classes), do you not see how hard it would be to get a new class into WoW? Almost everything is covered or would be a copy from existing classes.
    Not the Tinker class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    The problem I have with Dragonsworn concept is three-fold;

1. The resulting class doesn't differ much from existing classes beyond simply having abilities with dragon names attached to them.
    2. The very nature of class clashes with its own lore (the very nature of a Dragon sworn is that they're loyal to one Dragonflight).
    3. Several dragonflights are already attached to existing classes (Green=Druid, Blue=Mages, etc.).

In any case, excellent OP.
    Pretty much this. We have so many classes in the game at this point that pretty much do the same things, I doubt Blizzard will add anymore. We have so many healers, tanks, and dps already, there is no reason for more. Races are a strong possibility, but the balancing issues are already all over the place with what we have.

I have seen like

50 gajillion different dragonsworn
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Not the Tinker class.
    Doesn't belong here.

OP, not a bad idea at all. I've had ideas for the class as well, and do think there's potential story material for such a class in the future. (Especially since I finally went and turned in the end of the legendary cape questline and saw Wrathion's little tantrum. He could take matters into his own hands, by empowering his own champions to work for him within the Alliance and Horde.)

Dragonborn. Sure, why not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtree View Post
    Doesn't belong here.
    He said that all concepts and themes are covered by existing classes. He's wrong. Technology is not, and the WC3 Tinker and Alchemist hero ability sets are completely absent from the class lineup. Wide open design space there, which makes it the strongest contender for the next WoW class.

OP, not a bad idea at all. I've had ideas for the class as well, and do think there's potential story material for such a class in the future. (Especially since I finally went and turned in the end of the legendary cape questline and saw Wrathion's little tantrum. He could take matters into his own hands, by empowering his own champions to work for him within the Alliance and Horde.)
    Yeah, but what makes these powers any different than existing classes? How does a DPS spec with the powers of Wrathion differ from other DPS specs in the game? I have yet to see anything different in this dragonsworn concept beyond simply the giver of the abilities themselves.

TLDR: Dragonmonk

In all seriousness, I take exception to your statement

>>It's all about class balance, and the developers are very good at it.

The last thing we need is more classes. The devs can't balance the 11 we have now.
    Last edited by Machinelf; 2014-06-20 at 05:41 AM.

The game will never be balanced because it's always in a constant state of flux. The day the game is balanced is the day people no longer care about WoW.