Graphics Card Help

So I am building my first computer and am super excited, however I am not as tech savvy as id like. I have read reviews, did research, but I cant seem to figure out what graphics card to get. All I know is I am a fan of NVIDIA GeForce so I have been looking at those but there are so many minor tech choices I get a bit overwhelmed. Any advice or suggestions?
    If it helps this is the motherboard I am going to be using. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813132118

Hello Apolyc,

I have a few questions that need to be answered so I can better assist you.

Budget:
    Current specs (CPU,PSU):
    Monitor resolution:
    Games you want to play:

And what are you expecting to get out of the upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by dbudd424 View Post
    Hello Apolyc,

I have a few questions that need to be answered so I can better assist you.

Budget:
    Current specs (CPU,PSU):
    Monitor resolution:
    Games you want to play:

And what are you expecting to get out of the upgrade.
    In terms of budget id rather not spend more than $550 (US)
    Current specs... I am building it from scratch, and so far all I know what ill get is case and motherboard (which I listed)
    Games to play, Wildstar mostly, maybe some WoW, League of Legends, Hearthstone, I am sure more games to come but those for now.
    Monitor Resolution... 1600x900

What I would suggest at that point is most likely a 770 or a 280x to go with. With that resolution it should more then max just about everything you throw at it. Even upgrading to a 1920x1080 either of those cards will always run very well. Cost for them range between $300-400.

If you never ever plan to upgrade your monitor you could even go the route of the 760 or r9 270x and either will still handle everything.

Take the extra you save and put it towards a good cpu and cooler
    Last edited by dbudd424; 2014-06-18 at 12:01 AM.

The 770 is a good choice and some of the aftermarket ones are quite nice as well and some come with higher then stock clocks.

i have a gigabyte windforce oc 4gb 770 and love it. it comes stock at 1.1ghz but always turbo boosts and stays at 1.2ghz core. runs extremely cool and fairly quiet.

Deleted
    Dont get a 4 GB 770, it is a useless card. For just 20 bucks more you can get a 290.

Either go for a 2 Gb 770 or 280x. But looking at your resolution I agree with dbudd, you could just as well go for a 270x or 760.

For newer games you are going to want more than 2gb of GPU ram.
    I have a 4gb 770gtx and it works just fine.

Watch dogs states in its settings "Needs 3gb of more of gpu memory", in other wording obviously.

At that resolution 2gb might work, however if you ever upgrade you are going to want more.
    And note: SLI'ing or crossfireing gpus does not increase your memory.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    For newer games you are going to want more than 2gb of GPU ram.
    I have a 4gb 770gtx and it works just fine.

Watch dogs states in its settings "Needs 3gb of more of gpu memory", in other wording obviously.
    When a 290 is only 30 dollars more than a 4 gb 770. The 770 is a waste of money.
    I dont care if your 770 works fine, I hope it does. But it isnt good value when you can get a card which just performs better and can actually use all that 4 gb with its bigger membus.