Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MajesticCrawdad View Post
    We gained the expectation that we were paying for 100% of a game before TCG and the store and don't like that we have to pay for the extra and special now?
    So then don't pay for it.

You imagine this fantasy alternative where these items would still exist but would be available in-game through in-game means. This is incorrect. If these items didn't represent the potential for additional revenue then they would simply not exist at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Binko View Post
    Our subscription money pays to develop the items so they should be in game.
    Then why do you pay for expansions?

Cosmetic microtransactions are extra items added above and beyond the cost of the sbuscription. That's the whole point. If the cash shop didn't exist, Blizzard would simply not create this extra content.

I just seem them as a different sort of busy work or chores to keep those who have to log in everyday something to fiddle with. I dont mind it and might like it. I do see there is a possibility for cosmetic store methods and that there are those who would pay for such. From the farm to the garrison they are testing points to try different ideas and how to expand on them and there is supposed to be something even bigger planed for after WoD. If I recall correctly when store based pets was first released it was in the form of charity to test the waters while slowly introducing concepts to the playerbase. There is no doubt that Blizzard is heading the direction and even preping WoW for F2P if that ever happens, but the steps being made here do also have influence on project Titan which is supposed to be F2P and being an MMO is a different beast than Hearthstone and HoTS. Blizzard has not been ignoring the F2P and cash for cosmetic items markets.

10+ Year Old Account
    ZOMG, the sky am falling. Really, WTF? I'm convinced that by now I should be able to buy cash shop TP that gives me an auto kill on Garrosh 25H. I'm in Asia, where we actually get a bit more in the shop and yet I'm just not seeing the horrible flood of cash shop items that every angsty poster predicts.

What the hell? Are we getting cheated? Are you guys getting more stuff in the store than we are? ZOMG, orcs have hunched backs, that's so we'll pay the cash shop to de-Dick III us!!!111!!!

Garrisons are there to give a quasi-RTS element and expand on the MoP farm. It also reduces pressure to maintain a stable of alts because it can provide some crafting, it somewhat addresses player housing concerns, and it acknowledges that after all our characters have done it is about bloody time for us to stop being complete spear carriers. Nope, it's there for the ... /facepalm.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

This seems like tinfoil hat paranoia to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Blithe View Post
    The Cash Shop consists of Mounts, Pets and a Level 90 Character Boost. The moment it contains any micro-transaction "Pay-to-Win" items is when the player-base stops playing. If you think Garrisons will be used to "milk" the community, I find that you are sorely mistaken.

Garrisons are clearly Blizzard's answer to player-housing and if that's not obvious, then don't waste people's time by creating a "conspiracy theory" thread and having them forcibly explain the concept to you.
    lol? You mentioned the lvl /proffs boost. It already is p2w.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ns View Post
    lol? You mentioned the lvl /proffs boost. It already is p2w.
    Pay-to-win is when you're able to obtain better than normal items through payments, for example: "Pay $50 and your currently equipped items are increased by 8 item levels each above the upgrade cap." or: "Pay $25 to obtain [Item] to complete [Legendary Quest]." which would otherwise would be impossible to get via in-game means.

So, the level 90 character/profession boost isn't pay-to-win at all, as all of the items are already obtainable within the game. You're already able to level up to 90 and obtain gold or level your professions, it's just at a faster rate and if you go by that logic, wouldn't you say Heirlooms are also *pay-to-win* as they increase your experience gain?

10+ Year Old Account
    Makes sense to me. "Get your Garrison skins here for only 40$"

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Blithe View Post
    The Cash Shop consists of Mounts, Pets and a Level 90 Character Boost. The moment it contains any micro-transaction "Pay-to-Win" items is when the player-base stops playing. If you think Garrisons will be used to "milk" the community, I find that you are sorely mistaken.

Garrisons are clearly Blizzard's answer to player-housing and if that's not obvious, then don't waste people's time by creating a "conspiracy theory" thread and having them forcibly explain the concept to you.

Blizzard themselves said the playerbase would feel "betrayed" by a cash shop in WoW back in 2008, they throw their principles out the window for that sweet dollar.

This thread needs 400% more facepalm.

Another baseless, pointless attempt to take a jab at Blizzard, despite having zero evidence to the contrary. When paid garrison content is introduced in patch notes, then start the thread. Until then, this thread seems REALLY flippin' petty.

It's a good assumption, but I don't think that's the reasoning for created them.

Mark my words, we will be on 7.0 and we will not have a SINGLE paid Garrison feature on the cash shop.

This same shit happened with character models:
    [Link]

Quote Originally Posted by Ogolahst View Post
    Mark my words, we will be on 7.0 and we will not have a SINGLE paid Garrison feature on the cash shop.

This same shit happened with character models:
    [Link]
    People said the same thing about character boosts. After that it's open game. Nothing isn't suspect for a shop item.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who doesn't love managing followers and your own fortress? Like in ac2 I loved that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've said it before and I'll say it again; I will literally go out and eat a hat if we make it through WOD without any garrison-related Blizzard store options.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    People said the same thing about character boosts. After that it's open game. Nothing isn't suspect for a shop item.
    So because Blizzard gives you the option to skip the dreadful 1-89 content so you can play with your friends, everything is suspect to become a shop item? Strange.

EDIT: I won't lie though. I don't like it as a store option. But to assume everything's suspect to the cash shop all of a sudden because of it, is a bunch of bull.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ViridianWRA View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again; I will literally go out and eat a hat if we make it through WOD without any garrison-related Blizzard store options.
    Video of you eating the hat please.
    Last edited by MinTDH; 2014-06-18 at 04:03 AM.

So because Blizzard gives you the option to skip the dreadful 1-89 content so you can play with your friends, everything is suspect to become a shop item? Strange.

- - - Updated - - -

Video of you eating the hat please.
    That's not strange at all. The ability to skip almost all the games content is purchasable. Boring or not that is a fact for new or old players. Doesn't directly mean it will happen, but the chances based on moves like that make it a high percentage chance.

Quote Originally Posted by MajesticCrawdad View Post
    We gained the expectation that we were paying for 100% of a game before TCG and the store and don't like that we have to pay for the extra and special now?
    You mean the TCG that was announced less then a year after WoW launch, and was released over a year before TBC was released? Your expectation lasted less then a year, I guess. You could argue that it shouldn't be that way I suppose, but this is literally older news then Alliance having shaman, and Horde having paladins, just to give some perspective.

The only difference is that now instead of buying hundreds of TCG packs for a magic rooster or spectral tiger, now you just go and buy it straight up. Keep in mind that spectral tiger was (arguably still is) considered the greatest mount ever released, and it'd cost you well over a grand back in the day.

Now there's no RNG involved, there's *fewer* mounts in the cash shop then there is in the TCG, and they cost roughly 10-30x less then they used to. And yet people lose their minds over it. Logic!
    Last edited by Iskra22; 2014-06-18 at 04:16 AM.

looking at it the wrong way. everyone pays for WoW. some people just pay more.

you also share a server with players that buy gold and current raid teir loot and achievements with real money. you have been for almost 10 years. that money just doesn't go to blizzard.

so if that kind of thing really bothers you, you wouldn't be playing WoW in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    That's not strange at all. The ability to skip almost all the games content is purchasable. Boring or not that is a fact for new or old players. Doesn't directly mean it will happen, but the chances based on moves like that make it a high percentage chance.
    But just because that option's there, doesn't mean it's going to lead to Garrisons getting "40$ racial architecture". Of course it's possible, but the likeliness of it is very slim. Besides, the boost to 90 was going to happen one way another. Whether it of been in the store, or it being abused by people buying the expansion repeatedly. They decided to go with the former. If it was more about the money however, they would of went with the latter because it would equal up to more than the boost is right now.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it will be something if there are pile of people whining at the end about having to level through 10 levels of content and asking to be able to purchase a level 100 character before the next expansion.