For the past expansion or two, SimulationCraft has had a lot of trouble giving accurate numbers for mages. After a quick round of fixes to frost at the start of MoP, the mage module was left without a dedicated maintainer and left in shambles. Many top mages have been quoted saying that SimC is useless, and as a result it was largely abandoned for most purposes.
We're happy to announce that the SimC mage module now has an active maintenance community hosted at Altered Time (http://www.altered-time.com). Many of the problems have been fixed, and simulations accurately represent what mages of each spec do with their rotation. In fact, if you hop over to the latest sample charts (http://www.simulationcraft.org/reports/Raid_T16H.html), you'll notice that all 3 mages are within the top 6 of the 27 DPS specs. In particular, Fire spec used to be in the bottom 5, and is now ranked 3rd or 4th among all specs.
Some of the notable fixes are as below:
- Changed all specs to react to PBoI procs properly, especially with Alter Time
- Fixed a bug where Frost used to lose their icicles after using Alter Time
- Fixed Arcane where it used to have ~88% LB uptime, now ~99%
- Fixed Arcane where mastery used to affect cloak damage
- Fixed a lot of issues with Fire's rotation: ignite building with Pyroblasts before Combustion, POM-Alter Time Combustion combos, Pyro camping instead of firing instant pyros ASAP, 2T16 camping, reacting to trinket procs, avoiding munching Pyro procs
- Too many other small optimizations to list out
Just to whet your appetite, here are some heroic trinket comparisons generated with the new SimC mage module:
All of these are now live on the release version of SimulationCraft, and we'd like to invite you to try it out youself. Head over to http://www.simulationcraft.org/download.html to try it out yourself. If you see any issues with it, or if you wish to make suggestions for improvement, don't hesitate to register at Altered Time (http://www.altered-time.com) and post about it in the forums!
For more info on what we did, check out the news post on AT: http://altered-time.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=205
Akraen of the House Natural Order, the First of His Name, King of Argent Dawn, King of Ysera, Stormrage, Steamwheedle Cartel, and Frost Mages. Co-Regent of Altered Time, Protector of the Theorycraft Realm, Archmage of Kalimdor, Breaker of Fears and Roots, Father of Water Elementals
P.S. All 3 Mage specs are above all 3 Warlock specs. As it should be!