Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azhil View Post
    So why even go to court if no proof is needed? That's pretty damned fucked up.
    As was mentioned, adversarial systems are less about solid evidence and more about presenting a case that is free of reasonable doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralgarog View Post
    Can someone explain to me how this is slut shaming please?
    It's the tumblr clause to the constitution. If a woman claims rape and points a finger, thats all the evidence needed. No trial necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by daytonbrown View Post
    This is correct Crissi. During pre-trial motions, either side can object to the type of testimony and evidence that is going to be brought up. If the judge doesn't think it's relevant, they can disallow it. If that wasn't done in this case, then your issue is with the judge.
    Or the prosecution, if they failed to convince the judge.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    As was mentioned, adversarial systems are less about solid evidence and more about presenting a case that is free of reasonable doubt.
    I don't see how it is "free of reasonable doubt" to proclaim a 12 year old to be mentally ill and in need of psychiatric evaluation with no grounds for it.

This is on the same level of asking what kind of underwear a woman was wearing, if she was drunk or any other irrelevant questions, in my opinion.

If she had purposefully done a bad job on defending the case, her job would have been at stake, as well as a future mistrial for the defendant and possibly a complete expongement of his record.

She did her job, she had to. It was court appointed for god's sake.

As an attorney, you have very little say who your clients will be. Denying a client can be grounds for discipline from the bar. Once you have a client, you are required to give them the best possible defense.

So, you are mad at her for doing her job the way she was supposed to? Would you have rather her been disbarred?
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    so slut shamming a 12 year old is doing her job? attorney like her is what keeps women from reporting and testifying in rape cases
    aren't you usually the one to defend business for whatever they do since they have to make money?

10+ Year Old Account
    My god, a public defender defended someone accused of a morally deplorable crime.

This is completely shocking - I just thought only the really nice and cuddly defendants got lawyers.

10+ Year Old Account
    This boils down to whether or not the alleged victim is telling the truth now, as the evidence to prove whether Clinton was justified in her claims was destroyed in a flood.

Unless you can prove Clinton knowingly lied, then all you are doing is trying to link the words 'Clinton' and 'child rapist' in people's minds, which is a pretty lame attempt at smearing somebody.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see how it is "free of reasonable doubt" to proclaim a 12 year old to be mentally ill and in need of psychiatric evaluation with no grounds for it.

This is on the same level of asking what kind of underwear a woman was wearing, if she was drunk or any other irrelevant questions, in my opinion.
    A womans mental history, past accounts of honesty, and how much she and the other person had been drinking definitely play into a defense for someone accused of rape. What she was wearing is completely irrelevant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zvinny View Post
    A womans mental history and past accounts of honesty definitely play into a defense for someone accused of rape.
    Which she had no proof of.

Looks like Hilary has a real potential on the next president elections. Otherwise why would they start spilling shit on her?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm surprised republicans haven't used this yet in some sort of anti democrat mud flinging agenda.................................

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Dreamer View Post
    Looks like Hilary has a real potential on the next president elections. Otherwise why would they start spilling shit on her?
    You should just get rid of both the democrats and republicans tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zvinny View Post
    It's the tumblr clause to the constitution. If a woman claims rape and points a finger, thats all the evidence needed. No trial necessary.
    "I have been informed that the complainant is emotionally unstable with a tendency to seek out older men and to engage in fantasizing,"
    "I have also been informed that she has in the past made false accusations about persons, claiming they had attacked her body."
    Please, show off your amazing linguistic acrobatics, and explain how this isn't slut shaming.

On topic: This is just another example of what I personally consider a flaw in the U.S. judicial system. It shouldn't be simply "Do everydamnthing you can to get him/her off the hook.", it should be "Make sure his sentence is just, all possible causes for leniency has been considered, all his rights upheld.".

Because NO ONE have a right to get away with rape. Regardless of how good their defense attorney is.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Deleted
    To people saying "she was doing her job". That's still a nice picture of "justice" and how people think when they think it's ok for someone guilty to get off hook just because his defender was clever.

That's not good at all. So if through some technicality serial killer gets released you will people think "it's ok!" ?

That's why advocates are usually douchebags to say the least. Defending scumbags who they know are guilty.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is Hillary Clinton we are talking about. We already knew lying under oath wasn't beneath her. Why should lying to the court when not under oath be beneath her? This shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    Please, show off your amazing linguistic acrobatics, and explain how this isn't slut shaming.

On topic: This is just another example of what I personally consider a flaw in the U.S. judicial system. It shouldn't be simply "Do everydamnthing you can to get him/her off the hook.", it should be "Make sure his sentence is just, all possible causes for leniency has been considered, all his rights upheld.".

Because NO ONE have a right to get away with rape. Regardless of how good their defense attorney is.
    The reason it exists is because not all accusations are truthful, and not every defendant is guilty. Thats why defense attorneys argue fervently for their clients.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which she had no proof of.
    I thought the proof of whether or not she had proof wasn't available due to the flood.

"She was just following orders."

What a sick fuck. No one should be able to do that and live with themselves.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2014-06-17 at 11:26 PM.