Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Considering opening a gaming lounge.. any thoughts

I just wanted to gauge peoples interest in this proposition.
    A gaming lounge with 28 inch 4k panels and pc's to power them. Turtle beaches, keyboard, mouse, and controller along with super comfy seats. Tournaments and other such events would occur every other weekend. There would be mods and of course all of your favorite games at glorious 4k resolution. You also have the option of becoming a member which allows you to save your game data to the servers I provide to members. Members also get discounted hrly rate and the ability to request mods. Of course there would be high speed wifi and food.

The pricing would be
    $8/ hr
    $20 for 3hrs
    $7 for every hr after 3

Membership is a quarterly fee of $20
    Membs prices include
    $6/hr
    $16 for 3 hrs
    $5 for every hr after 3

Would you guys come out to my gaming lounge? Just a side note I provide the games and the accounts to play them on.
    Last edited by Workpac; 2014-06-18 at 08:59 PM.

Deleted
    Why spend money when I have a PC at home? I see no benefits to going to a "gaming lounge".

I wouldn't, almost every gaming lounge around here has died.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Why spend money when I have a PC at home? I see no benefits to going to a "gaming lounge".
    Tournaments, being social with fellow gamers. That being said, I don't think that i'd personally go, but I could see people doing it for sure.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workpac View Post
    Would you guys come out to my gaming lounge?
    Nope, I wouldn't bother unless you have a lot of money you are ok with losing.

Maybe 10 years ago, I spent a lot of money on places like this because it was fun going with friends, hoopin and hollering for no reason til 3am. Now I can't be bothered.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

If its a passion project and you know going into it you will lose money and or not make alot then go for it.

What would be the main purpose of this? Competitive play?

Gamers are notoriously anti-social people in the west. Especially since the advent of the internet age. I can't see this becoming popular anywhere but Asia.

There's a gaming center/hobby shop very close to where I live and my friends and I like to visit there every now and then. They're pretty successful as far as I know because they're in a college town and they hold a lot of events every week. Truth be told, I'm not sure how well a "pure" gaming lounge would do due to reasons stated before (such as people preferring to stay at home). For example, the one near me puts a lot of emphasis on Magic the Gathering, which ends up attracting a lot of people, who in turn stay to play games on the computers.

They have no membership option and the prices are cheaper than the ones listed too.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    So, for a regular say raiding night in wow. ca. 5 hours, as a member I would pay at lest $26 a raid, plus the $20 a month?
    Ye right, not gonna happen

Quote Originally Posted by Drodoo View Post
    So, for a regular say raiding night in wow. ca. 5 hours, as a member I would pay at lest $26 a raid, plus the $20 a month?
    Ye right, not gonna happen
    Going there to raid isn't really the point. You go to play some Serious Sam or something to just waste each other for a few hours.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    being social
    I'd rather go to the pub if I'm going out and spending money to sit somewhere.

What games? Like WoW or LoL? I'd never log into my account on one of your computers. Sounds unsafe. I'm also a germophobe and don't like touching other people's keyboards and mouses so...

I'll tell you what. I may come once just to see how it looks, but I doubt I'm gonna stick around.

$8 an hour seems really unprofitable too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a PC powerful enough to play 4k games, the only reason I don't is because 4k monitors are too expensive where I live. (4x more expensive than 1440p monitors). That said, no, I wouldn't go. I have enough stuff to pay for already, and I prefer having my pc at home, where I can personally make sure no one gets a hold of my data. All that music/games be precious dammit!

Ok, upon thought, I think this is a bad idea because of how prolific home computers are nowadays. Gamers today have their own computers to play games on, so at best you'd be operating a video game rental station.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    I'd rather go to the pub if I'm going out and spending money to sit somewhere.
    who's to say drinks couldn't be served too?

OP - Yes I would definitely go, set up a mini bar too, drunk gaming

Deleted
    Save to servers; top kek. Cloud servers exist for a reason.

Lounge gaming can still be profitable but you need something worthwhile other than the wifi and tables to charge people for.

There's lots of successful gaming lounges but people call them "coffee shops".

Offer the gaming for free to draw people in and make money by selling ironic coffee blends and trendy pastries.

6-8 bucks an hour for internet. That's a lot of getting myself a coffee at the local cafe and jumping on my laptop...

You could look into the karaoke multi-room design though. But outfit some rooms for gaming consoles / other gaming in addition to karaoke.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Open the lounge 3 days a week and any special nite if a big game drops (WoD). A liquor license can run up to 50k iirc, so take that into consideration. I would go to your lounge if it was set up like a mini sports bar.
    You cared enough to post.