Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by odoylerules View Post
    Every person on this thread who is arguing that they don't see how it is racist, or that they don't find it offensive (possibly adding that they have Native American heritage) is essentially proving themselves to be in the wrong because their comment is only valid if they presume that the name would be wrong if it was racist or offensive. They are arguing about whether or not they find the term offensive, as opposed to whether or not it's okay to have an offensive term. They would only make this argument if they inherently believed that the term is wrong if it is offensive, otherwise they would have no point.

With that in mind, it really doesn't matter if you personally find it offensive or racist. What matters is that an extremely significant portion of society does. And just like so many other conventions within our society, when something causes personal offence to a large group of people in regards to issues of discrimination, it becomes inappropriate to use that term in something like a sports team.

And to those of you who say you don't care what other people think, well, if you don't care about anyone else's thoughts then your opinion isn't valid in this conversation because you've disqualified yourself from having any interest in the issue beyond yourself.
    last I saw less than 30% of natives found it offensive, so I think its more of a loud vocal minority comprised of mainly white SJW's that are personally offended. It does seem there is starting to be a backlash against these SJW's, as they seem to be offended by every thing in society.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    I wonder how many of them are *real* native Americans and not "I'm 1/512th Indian, I think".
    Probably more native american than Elizabeth Warren and probably have deep financial connections to some senators.

I do find it slightly ironic that some Washington types have jumped onto the bandwagon calling the Redskins name "offensive" and "politically incorrect" yet the official government office for all things Native is called : The Bureau of Indian Affairs. Last I heard, the term Indian was not politically correct as well as being a complete misnomer(jackass Columbus getting lost and all that)

10+ Year Old Account
    Time to go after every other sports team that is using Native American imagery and names. Here's the list. Get back to me when you're done vilifying the rest of these teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

Quote Originally Posted by Vercigentorix View Post
    I do find it slightly ironic that some Washington types have jumped onto the bandwagon calling the Redskins name "offensive" and "politically incorrect" yet the official government office for all things Native is called : The Bureau of Indian Affairs. Last I heard, the term Indian was not politically correct as well as being a complete misnomer(jackass Columbus getting lost and all that)
    I've been taught that although Native American is the proper PC term, nobody with even half a brain gives a shit as long as you don't walk up to them and go "me smokem peace pipe owawawawawawa"

Quote Originally Posted by Bananarez View Post
    I've been taught that although Native American is the proper PC term, nobody with even half a brain gives a shit as long as you don't walk up to them and go "me smokem peace pipe owawawawawawa"
    If someone did that to me, i would lose my shit with laughter
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoweye View Post
    4 tribes..... of the hundreds that are worried about actual problems that they face after being forced onto reservations... if you honestly think this is an issue most of the American Indians give a shit about, you are sadly mistaken.
    Now the team name will have to be changed. What a tragedy. This has serious implications for your life. I can't imagine how hard it will be, getting up every morning, having to look yourself in the mirror, knowing that you will never forget. My heart goes out to you. We're all here for you.

If I was a native american, I think I'd be more inclined to hate the Cowboys as those were basically the ones responsible for slaughtering them.

Which is also kind of my point. Why only the Redskins being singled out in this. Why not the Cleveland Indians, the Dallas Cowboys, Green Bay Packers (offensive to gay people?) quite a few college teams.

And as long as we are going there, how about this as an extreme example, would you find something like the Washington Niggers offensive? What if it was owned, ran and operated by African Americans?

10+ Year Old Account
    If someone did that to me, i would lose my shit with laughter
    But you're not the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    If I was a native american, I think I'd be more inclined to hate the Cowboys as those were basically the ones responsible for slaughtering them.

Which is also kind of my point. Why only the Redskins being singled out in this. Why not the Cleveland Indians, the Dallas Cowboys, Green Bay Packers (offensive to gay people?) quite a few college teams.

And as long as we are going there, how about this as an extreme example, would you find something like the Washington Niggers offensive? What if it was owned, ran and operated by African Americans?
    Natives were getting pushed off their land and decimated by diseases and superior warfare tech well before cowboys were common place, like since the first European set foot in the New World. In the US it was Spain, England and France and then it was the US government and US Army who did most of the damage. The Cowboys against Indians is more Hollywood than actual fact.

The GB Packers thing...lol. The Packers take their name from the fact that their founder got funds for the team from the Indian Packing Company. I seriously doubt any gay person has seen the GB Packers name and been like " hey now, that's just mean,man."
    Last edited by Vercigentorix; 2014-06-18 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post

Packers is a reference to the meat packing plant in Green Bay. Also, let it be known, Vince Lombardi would not have stood for a giant gay joke of a team name.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    No, this is 4 entire tribes being offended for the last decade, and finally getting something done about it.
    4 of the whitest tribes I've ever seen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    Time to go after every other sports team that is using Native American imagery and names. Here's the list. Get back to me when you're done vilifying the rest of these teams.
    Have the indigenous people ever referred to themselves as Redskins? If not then I can definitely see how its offensive.
    Black Lives Matter

This is an issue thats been pushed hard now for the last several years... and in my eyes its bullshit. As someone with a large American Indian heritage, the name Redskin is not offensive to me. I dont believe it is offensive in general, it is history and heritage. Others may disagree about its "offensive" nature.... but fuck them.
    What makes your opinion so special?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    This is white people being offended for other people who aren't offended.
    The case was brought forward by 5 native americans.

I know this might be an unpopular and insensitive opinion, but I feel like we need to just dissolve/shrink reservations. I think a lot of this sensitivity PC bullshit would stop if we just integrated the reservation populations into regular society. The main issue with living on a reservation is how hard it is to leave. You're dirt poor, in the middle of nowhere, and in many cases the white towns around you are racist retardvilles. If the government would like, give out grants to people willing to permanently leave the reservations, we could effectively reduce the size of them. The only people that might be left would be die-hards, and they will eventually die off or just pack up and leave because nobody else lives there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    4 of the whitest tribes I've ever seen.
    Ah yes.
    You're white if you are offended by racial slurs.
    Gotcha.

Deleted
    Should change the name to Washington Rednecks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananarez View Post
    I know this might be an unpopular and insensitive opinion, but I feel like we need to just dissolve/shrink reservations. I think a lot of this sensitivity PC bullshit would stop if we just integrated the reservation populations into regular society. The main issue with living on a reservation is how hard it is to leave. You're dirt poor, in the middle of nowhere, and in many cases the white towns around you are racist retardvilles. If the government would like, give out grants to people willing to permanently leave the reservations, we could effectively reduce the size of them. The only people that might be left would be die-hards, and they will eventually die off or just pack up and leave because nobody else lives there.
    What does dissolving the last foot holds of Native Americans have to do with changing a sports team name?
    Black Lives Matter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tragedia View Post
    Have the indigenous people ever referred to themselves as Redskins? If not then I can definitely see how its offensive.
    Have they ever referred to themselves as Redmen, Red Raiders, Brownies, or Savages either? Those are a few of the names on the list I posted.
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by odoylerules View Post
    Every person on this thread who is arguing that they don't see how it is racist, or that they don't find it offensive (possibly adding that they have Native American heritage) is essentially proving themselves to be in the wrong because their comment is only valid if they presume that the name would be wrong if it was racist or offensive. They are arguing about whether or not they find the term offensive, as opposed to whether or not it's okay to have an offensive term. They would only make this argument if they inherently believed that the term is wrong if it is offensive, otherwise they would have no point.

With that in mind, it really doesn't matter if you personally find it offensive or racist. What matters is that an extremely significant portion of society does. And just like so many other conventions within our society, when something causes personal offence to a large group of people in regards to issues of discrimination, it becomes inappropriate to use that term in something like a sports team.

And to those of you who say you don't care what other people think, well, if you don't care about anyone else's thoughts then your opinion isn't valid in this conversation because you've disqualified yourself from having any interest in the issue beyond yourself.
    ehhhh, most don't give two shits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kreebs View Post
    Should change the name to Washington Rednecks.
    How about the Washington Rojoskins?