Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Does everyone have a voice in their head?

When you read or think about things, is there a voice in your head saying them, and is it in your native language?

For example when I read, or think, or even writing this post, there's this voice in my head verbally reproducing it, but it's not my own voice, it's sort of like a generic male voice with no discernible accent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes. Usually not.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    That be the devil.

Everyone thinks in words, don't they?

10+ Year Old Account
    Define the "generic male voice" part if you could please, as in kind of, a blander version of your own voice? If that's what you mean, then yes, this happens to me, it happened to me as I typed this up as a matter of fact.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

10+ Year Old Account
    I have my 20 year old self telling me what he'd like to do to hot guys I pass, which usually gets slapped down by my current 30+ self for being overly horny.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    Define the "generic male voice" part if you could please, as in kind of, a blander version of your own voice? If that's what you mean, then yes, this happens to me, it happened to me as I typed this up as a matter of fact.
    Well I guess it sounds kind of like me, but it's lost a lot of the accent and is kind of bland sounding. It's not monotone though, for example when you ask a question your voice rises at the end of the question, it's still like that.

Deleted
    In fact yes. When I'm studying,reading,or thinking about something for a longer period of time I do have that "voice that reproduces thoughts" that OP describes. Interestingly,despite me being Croatian,I always think or debate something in my mind in English.
    Last edited by mmocb3bae280f1; 2014-06-18 at 11:51 PM.

So you hear the voices too!!?!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexed View Post
    When you read or think about things, is there a voice in your head saying them, and is it in your native language?
    Sometimes but this only tends to occur when I'm using a language other than my own native tongue. Since I speak 5 languages more or less fluently, I sometimes find myself thinking the same thing in multiple languages in my head before I actually put it all together and yes, it's like a "voice".

I don't have a voice in my head, but sometimes i hear something inside my chest commanding me "do it, go on, etc." This usually happens when i'm excited. Strange feeling i must say.

Of course. I figured this was a normal thing.

Unless I'm purposely speaking with a non-Midwest accent (e.g. stereotypical Russian, posh English, Southern gentleman, etc.) it's typically just a higher tone of my own voice.
    "If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all."

10+ Year Old Account
    Inner monologue is normal, but not necessary for thought. Babies think before they know spoken language. My inner monologue voice can be adjusted to whatever I feel like (pretty sure everyone can do this) but if I'm not dwelling on it, it sounds like my voice.

There are two distinct processes in my head - one that speaks in English words and thinks at about the speed of speech, and another which doesn't use words but instead is a rapid stream of shapes and concepts. The latter is much faster. Pretty sure it's the one responsible for dreams - explaining how I can be asleep for a few minutes and have dreams with far more complexity than I could've put into words in that time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlokyldoreifanggore View Post
    Of course. I figured this was a normal thing.
    Indeed it is - it's referred to as "internal monologue" or "internal speech" by medical journals, it's a rather unexamined phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    Inner monologue is normal, but not necessary for thought. Babies think before they know spoken language. My inner monologue voice can be adjusted to whatever I feel like (pretty sure everyone can do this) but if I'm not dwelling on it, it sounds like my voice.
    Well constructed response!

OP, an inner voice is normal for the majority of people, but their thinking isn't limited to that. Emotions, images, etc. also fall into the realm of "thoughts."
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

Deleted
    YES. I HAVE THIS.

I need to think with the voice even if i already had the thought, its so weird!

edit; this probably sums it up pretty well

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    There are two distinct processes in my head - one that speaks in English words and thinks at about the speed of speech, and another which doesn't use words but instead is a rapid stream of shapes and concepts. The latter is much faster.
    Last edited by mmocf0203e43c2; 2014-06-19 at 12:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish I had a narrator.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone has a running monolog in their head, it's part of being human. Most of us are dragged around and controlled by it without even noticing. It's what makes us scared or anxious, it's what tells us we're not good enough, or tells us how we feel about others. Thoughts naturally pop in and out of everyone's heads almost every second of every day. Most people are blind to this fact of our lives, and thus let the voice control them rather than enjoying what's really going on around them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Agoonga View Post
    I wish I had a narrator.
    "You.. are hearing this.. spoken with the voice.. of Morgan Freeman."

It's actually quite easy to change the "voice in your head" when you know the voice of whoever said it, for example if you know Futurama, you would hear "Good news, everyone!" spoken slightly differently than you would if you didn't. Same goes for classic movie icons like Darth Vader ;"If only you knew the power of the Dark Side!" etc.