Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    Chitoge a shit
    You have great taste.

It is a thing. Personally, not my thing, but that's just my tastes. I love the shonen genre, a lot of people hate that. Different strokes for different folks. That being said, I used to keep up with Rosario Vampire, if that can be considered harem, but that was because it incorporated a lot of good action too. Haven't touched it in years though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    You have great taste.
    It's depressing though because deep down I know she's going to win. It's an unfortunate side effect of the aforementioned cliched nature of the series. Why the hell do Japanese otakus love the tsundere girl so much?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Just finished marathoning Nisekoi the other day and catching up on the manga.
    a perfect example of what I was referring to by 'mcdonalds' anime. I'm really enjoying Nisekoi, because it does every cliche perfectly. Heck, the hot springs episode was so cliche that I saw the exact same twist in another anime running currently. (maybe it was the flags one, i forget honestly)

'comfort food' 'comfort anime'... sometimes its nice to know what to expect from something, but still have something fresh about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4KhazModan View Post
    It is a thing. Personally, not my thing, but that's just my tastes. I love the shonen genre, a lot of people hate that. Different strokes for different folks. That being said, I used to keep up with Rosario Vampire, if that can be considered harem, but that was because it incorporated a lot of good action too. Haven't touched it in years though.
    Well it just finished so if you ever wanted to finish it now is the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its extremely predictable and boring from a story-telling stand point,
    but it does have many moments of equally predictable and cliche comedy.

However, every so often a harem anime comes along and just does something
    legitimately different, and its incredible when it does.

I don't really enjoy it. Sometimes it's ok when it's more of a side focus than the entire focus.
    I really don't get why it's such a popular trope in anime

10+ Year Old Account
    I can dig it, but it's not a genre I specifically look for in an anime show. Some of them are hilarious, you just can't get the same kind of funny scenarios with regular comedy. Highschool DxD is a good example of harem/ecchi/comedy

B-but Clannad isn't even a harem. o_o
    First season is. pic related
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    First season is. pic related
    The show barely even entertains the other three possibilities though, and the poster I quoted included After Story which is DEFINITELY not a harem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    I really don't get why it's such a popular trope in anime
    Because I wish I was the MC

- - - Updated - - -

The show barely even entertains the other three possibilities though, and the poster I quoted included After Story which is DEFINITELY not a harem.
    The main character still has several girls that wants him, even if you know which one he'll end up with. Weak harem but still a harem. After Story is indeed definitely not a harem.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    Because I wish I was the MC
    yeah it's just strange though that it seems so popular in Japan but not in the US. You'd think self-inserts like that would be popular in every country cause most guys would want to have multiple women (and sometimes guys) lusting after them. Maybe I just don't watch the right tv in the US to see that

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah it's just strange though that it seems so popular in Japan but not in the US. You'd think self-inserts like that would be popular in every country cause most guys would want to have multiple women (and sometimes guys) lusting after them. Maybe I just don't watch the right tv in the US to see that
    Yeah I dunno. Maybe it's just that since most anime that gets really popular is shounen stuff because that audience is broad and is very child-friendly, the ones who get into anime via that might just stick to around that genre, thinking ecchi/harem is hentai. I'm not american though so I can't relate to cultural differences in popular genres.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

10+ Year Old Account
    im sure the idea of having multiple girls wanting you might sound nice but in actuallity (?) a harem or polygamy sounds more like a chore.. having to keep multiple "lovers" happy must be hard.. and i dont mean sexually
    "it's being bound to work or study that allows us to live like people." Illya

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I'm a big fan of them for the most part. I would assume mostly because I wish just once in my life I had the guy's problem. High School DxD, Infinite Stratos, Sekirei, Date A Live, Boku wa Tomodachi Ga Sukinai, etc. I don't think I have really watched any harem series I didn't like.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    im sure the idea of having multiple girls wanting you might sound nice but in actuallity (?) a harem or polygamy sounds more like a chore.. having to keep multiple "lovers" happy must be hard.. and i dont mean sexually
    See that is the thing they usually never get past the awkward friendship stage so it's not serious. Or when something serious is starting to happen they usually only go with one girl and the others still try and flirt .

I love Ecchi. I love Harem. My guild in Wildstar is called Fan Service. That is all.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's depressing though because deep down I know she's going to win. It's an unfortunate side effect of the aforementioned cliched nature of the series. Why the hell do Japanese otakus love the tsundere girl so much?
    Because Tsundere is love.

10+ Year Old Account
    i just watched the third to love ru ova episode and it was literally nothing but girls in swimsuits doing sexy poses with music playing in the background.. it was like watching a fashiontv swimsuit segment or something..

after awile i lost interest and did something else occasionally checking to see how much time was left till it ended
    "it's being bound to work or study that allows us to live like people." Illya

I watched the first season of To LOVE-Ru years ago and enjoyed it but I found the 2nd season to be boring and didn't even bother with the 3rd. Don't remember whch OVAs I watched though.

In general I'm getting annoyed with all the Harem/School Life shows over the last years. Most of them are so generic that I don't even bother watching them after reading what the show is about. Its really boring that 90% of all new anime seem to take place in school.
    It feels like anime is going downhill with loads of copy & paste shows. There were years were I watched nearly half of all new shows but lately I can be happy to find one or two interesting ones among them. There are quite a few interesting shows that ended with cliffhangers that should be continued but noooo, generic craps makes more money...

I don't spend much time on anime/manga these days and harem isn't appealing to me enough to spend any on it. I'm more of a "supernatural cliché-packed shounen with occasional fan service" guy

I used to watch them when I was younger, now I can't stand them, feels like I'm wasting my time when watching harem, but not with other kind of anime.