feral dps question for you vets

Hey everyone,

Today i decided that i want to go for Kor'kron War Wolf achievement so I did some LFR to to farm some PVE gear.
    I am currently a pvp guardian and am gemmed for that.

On nazgrim I was puling 106k dps which was a pretty standard fight i just stood behind the boss and did what i was doing.
    for some other fights i was pulling around 70k.

This seems very low to me but i am wondering if its because of my current gear or because i am not familiar with the feral spec or both.

I tried to keep SR up most of the time there were few instances where i lost it for a few rounds of combo's do to noobness i had rake and rip up most times used rake rather than mangle as i was able to maintain being able to attack from behind the target and used FB if i had time in between rip and sr and when target was below 25%.

EDIT: I also tried to throw in a thrash whenever I could

What do you guys think? will getting pve gear with propers forge gems and chants fix this or do i need to do something different with my rotation as well?

obeah@darkspear US

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Obeah/advanced
    Last edited by ponies; 2014-06-19 at 04:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We have no clue what your dps should be because of gear and such. Link armory at the very least.

With Mangle vs Shred, I'm pretty sure you are supposed to use Shred only during Tiger's Fury/Berserk/Other high-energy times.

- - - Updated - - -

A couple other things to add...

Trash- Using Trash depends on your mastery lvl. With perfect play, you will always have a free thrash by casting it when clearcasting is up. However, if you have low enough mastery, Shred/Mangle is more DPET then Thrash. (Really low mastery)

You should always keep up close to 100% uptime on Savage Roar/Rip/Rake. If savage roar falls off, do not use bite/rip, use Savage Roar. If Rip falls off, do not use Bite, use Rip. If rake falls off, do not use mangle/shred/ravage/whatever, use Rake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

i just edited it, its on post now

106K with your gear, given that you are way new to the spec seems about right, you should be doing more like 150k with that gear if your we're playing correctly though. So it is safe to assume that your dps rotation could use some work.

thank you kraineth do you have any recommendations ?

Quote Originally Posted by ponies View Post
    Hey everyone,

Today i decided that i want to go for Kor'kron War Wolf achievement so I did some LFR to to farm some PVE gear.
    I am currently a pvp guardian and am gemmed for that.

On nazgrim I was puling 106k dps which was a pretty standard fight i just stood behind the boss and did what i was doing.
    for some other fights i was pulling around 70k.

This seems very low to me but i am wondering if its because of my current gear or because i am not familiar with the feral spec or both.

I tried to keep SR up most of the time there were few instances where i lost it for a few rounds of combo's do to noobness i had rake and rip up most times used rake rather than mangle as i was able to maintain being able to attack from behind the target and used FB if i had time in between rip and sr and when target was below 25%.

EDIT: I also tried to throw in a thrash whenever I could

What do you guys think? will getting pve gear with propers forge gems and chants fix this or do i need to do something different with my rotation as well?

obeah@darkspear US

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Obeah/advanced
    Correct me if its wrong but isn't pvp gear used in raids scaled down? (just like pve gear used in pvp?)
    I do believe that by trying to get a bit of pve gear together with the proper gems should help a lot.

And if I do understand correctly you use rake to generate combo points. Try to use mangle instead (while keeping rake up ofc) and use shred with Tiger's Fury/Berserk (like Raugnaut said)

I don't know what kind of addons you're using, if any, but for Ferals in particular, a DoT tracking addon like WeakAuras is incredibly useful, and will let you keep an eye on durations of your Rake, Rip, Savage Roar and Thrash if you're using it.
    Cantor

9/9 gold MoP CMs | 8/8 WoD Gold CMs | 7/7 M Emerald Nightmare | 6/10 M Nighthold

There is an addon called Ovale which is excellent for teaching new ferals the ropes:

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/ovale

I highly endorse the addon droodfocus for newer ferals. It will help with SR uptime and other rotational CDs.

As far as thrash goes, most theorycrafting will tell you to cast it on omen procs. Personally, I have pretty low uptime on thrash, but I still put out fairly competitive DPS.

Tracking trinket procs as a feral is essentially required for good dps so get an addon to do (I use affdots feral) that and different trinkets as your pvp trinkets don't do anything for you. otherwise at 550 if your rotation is done right you can sustain 250k dps easy.

not going into feral rotation, but about overall situation:
    if people will see you full pvp they won't take you in,
    you will need pve gear, coz most of garrosh nm kill grp require ~560+ ilvl
    otherwise if you have about 50k gold you can buy it

Quote Originally Posted by Zstr View Post
    not going into feral rotation, but about overall situation:
    if people will see you full pvp they won't take you in,
    you will need pve gear, coz most of garrosh nm kill grp require ~560+ ilvl
    otherwise if you have about 50k gold you can buy it
    Which is why i'm farming LFR for feral gear, and teaching myself how to play feral, so that i can get into a group for normal garish 10 or 25