Poll: Do you like or purchase DLC?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Do you support or buy DLC that comes at a cost?

For anyone wanting to know, DLC means Downloadable content. It can be free or purchased and has been becoming more and more popular as a way to introduce new items, quests, and features to a game after its release. I have been playing skyrim recently and I had to look up information and stuff. I have had the game for awhile but other things took my attention away from it easily. In my research, I have come across things that have a note on them referring to what I later discovered as a DLC for it. I then looked on how to get them and to my dismay, they were 20$ US for them. I got a little irratated by this fact since I already purchased the game for 60$. When I purchase a game, I do not expect to be unable to acess all that it has because its locked behind a DLC money gate. MMO's are different since expansions, while similar to DLC, offer much greater things and introduce many more significant things. In itself, a expansion is sort of like a new game. Once you buy it you get any new features for that expansion for free.

It is a reason why I have sadly been moving away more and more from console games. I just can't justify paying 60$ for a new game then having to pay 20$ more for every DLC. What are others thoughts?

PS. Is 20$ really the standard price for most DLC?

It varies, really. Some I'll pick up, like the Borderlands DLC's because they were made afterwards and contain the sort of things that used to be in what was once called 'Expansion Packs'

The only exception to that is the cosmetic stuff for DotA 2 (The stuff's dirst cheap on the commmunity marketplace) and the game was free to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    It varies, really. Some I'll pick up, like the Borderlands DLC's because they were made afterwards and contain the sort of things that used to be in what was once called 'Expansion Packs'

The only exception to that is the cosmetic stuff for DotA 2 (The stuff's dirst cheap on the commmunity marketplace) and the game was free to begin with.
    To be fair, I think a game like Dota2 and LOL would have to be classified in a different way with their sold items then a video game like Borderlands and its DLC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Day 1 DLC can die in a fire.

If you release DLC a few months/Years after the original game came out, I'm okay with that.

And I don't know if 20$ is the standard, it depends on the game, initial price of the game, the amount of content, and who the developers are.

Regarding Skyrim, the DLC content is not "locked" behind a "money gate". It's new content made long after release that you can very easily just choose not to buy. It's also worth the price, if you like Skyrim in the first place. Aside from that, if you want free things for your Skyrim, you might want to look into the modding community. There's an insanely massive amount of mods ranging from simple armors to complete game overhauls thanks to Bethesda always providing the tools for making such mods for all their Elder Scrolls and Fallout games.

Regarding other companies' use of DLC, it can get pretty questionable or downright douchey. Like not being able to get the real ending in Asura's Wrath without DLC, or actual situations where content is in the game on release, but it's locked behind a paywall. Or The Sims 3 chucking out items all the time, a lot of which are broken and require patches made by users to work properly. THIS kind of DLC is the kind I don't support.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

Quote Originally Posted by Biske View Post
    Regarding Skyrim, the DLC content is not "locked" behind a "money gate". It's new content made long after release that you can very easily just choose not to buy. .
    But, the DLC is locked behind a money gate. You don't have to buy any DLC for any game, but some people do. I agree with the second part though. That is pretty bad.

Deleted
    Depends on the price and the game itself. If the DLC is actual new content like in Skyrim (Dawnguard,Hearthfire,etc.) I've nothing against it. But if DLC's are just locked content or content cut out of the game for the sake of additional profit (Mass Effect 3) than it can go to hell. Especially if to purchase all the DLC's you have to pay more than for the base game. In that case,its just BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    But, the DLC is locked behind a money gate. You don't have to buy any DLC for any game, but some people do. I agree with the second part though. That is pretty bad.
    The DLC for Skyrim's what would have been called an Expansion Pack back in the day. Morrowind had Bloodmoon and Tribunal. Oblivion had Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles. Skyrim has Dawnguard and Dragonborn (and Hearthfire, but that one's hardly expansion pack material; like, it's not as bad as Oblivion's Horse Armors, but it doesn't add a whole lot, other than fancy houses and RP stuff like adopting children; stuff the average gamer isn't usually interested in).
    Last edited by Biske; 2014-06-19 at 10:52 AM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

10+ Year Old Account
    The only dlc i ever buy are expansion packs. And those usualy have updated engine,grafic, AI and new continent.

But dlc like.....20 bucks for 1 tower in world...are simply just a pure scam. Same goes for day 1 dlc. They sell you only 60% of the game.
    Not to say ..but...some dlc are usualy full of bugs.

If the game is singleplayer....i just get the dlc from dark sorces. Hell no i am paying 50$ for something that should be already be in game.
    However Dlc that comes like 1 year later are excused. And they are usualy worth the money.

One good example is Warhammer 40k strategy. They add new units and updated tactic with each new expansion (ok exept last one is trash).
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Depends on the game really. For most games I like I only buy the "expansion pack" dlc. But for some games I get really into I buy all dlc. There haven't been many games I really liked the last two years so I haven't bought much dlc lately.

Deleted
    Never bought any DLC - never will.

It's one the biggest cancers of gaming today.

I guess what I'm saying is what a couple of people have said here already: I stick to full-on x-pack DLC and avoid "Hey, look at this shiny armor for $9.99"-DLC.

I I like the game, I will.

Only DLC I've purchased so far for a console game would be some content packs for Red dead redemption. LOVE the War Horse.

Same with store items for WoW, will buy if it appeals to me since the base cost of the game is dirt cheap and the store items will be with me for a loooong time.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I rarely support it. I'm more than happy to support expansion packs that offer enough content. I understand and accept those.

What I despise are the gimmicky little DLCs that are obviously nothing more than a cash grab. For some reason, the idiots of the word still line up to empty their pockets. I know it isn't entirely the same thing, but another thing that I hate is the "Let's have twelve editions of the game at launch" companies. Ubi loves to do this.

Deleted
    Not unless it is basically an expansion called DLC (Civ 5 for example)

Otherwise DLC can go fuck itself.

I will buy them on sometimes on a really good sale (75% off). Not a big fan of it though

Deleted
    If they're decent or resemble what expansion packs used to be, yes.

I don't like DLC, but I buy them on occasion. Much depends on how much content is in them and who the developer/publisher is.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate it! So much.
    It's usually terrible, and is only a couple of hours long, but bleh.

I've bought some; Bio Infinite, Last of Us. MK & Injustice.

But I really hate them, and anyone who does Day1 is utter scum.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on what it is.
    I've bought DLC for Dragon Age II because I really enjoyed it, but haven't bought any DLC since. If and when GTAV gets an expac I'll be sure to buy that, like I did with GTAIV.