Deleted

Tablet + modem/router

So i am interested getting a cheap-ish tablet, i don't have any particular needs, but i never owned one before so i am completely clueless. Bigger touch screens are preferable of course

Also since atm i don't have a wireless modem/router, never needed one cause my house if fully cat6 wired, i will need one to go with my new tablet. Only catch is that my connection is adsl2+ over isdn.

Budget flexible, i was thinking something like 120-150euros and another 50 or so for the modem. So say 200 for both but again flexible, can go up another 20-30 if its worth it.

Deleted
    For the network point, you may go for a wifi access point, not a modem/router. So you don't change anything on your wired network.
    No need for a high range protocol for tablet and smartphone... look for the cheapest "wifi 802.11 abgn", or a "802.11 ac" if you want. ie : TEW-637AP v3

for a budget tablet, you have to choose on the size : 7/8 or 10 inches.
    For 7", the nexus 7 is still worth it, around 180€
    for 10", I'm unsure about what's good today. the Nexus 10 is quite old. maybe the Asus MeMo Pad ME102A-1A018, or the Lenovo Yoga.

The google I/O conference is 25-26 June, there will probably be an announcement for a 8" or 10" tablet.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lots of refurbished or older model tablets out there... stick with the major brand names and you'll be fine. For android make sure they have version 4.0 or higher, and for iPad well just about anything will do. I don't think there is such a thing as a tablet that isn't touch screen. Otherwise your only other deciding factor is size... go to a retail store and get an idea of what size is best for you.

I recently got a Nexus 7 (2012 version) 32Gb for $130 (US) which sells for 180-200 new. The size is just right for me, and the price certainly was too.

You won't need an 'ac' router, that's the newest tech that most devices can't connect with. Any router that is 'dual band' will be pretty up to date and will work for most devices. Brands to look for: Linksys/Cisco, Netgear, Asus, Buffalo, D-Link. If you want a specific recommendation, Linksys E1200 is a nice cheap one that would do fine for what you need it for.
    Last edited by Vermicious; 2014-06-19 at 03:28 PM.

Deleted
    I was looking at that g01851,GOOGLE NEXUS 7 TABLET 32GB ANDROID 4.4, sells new from 250 to 300euros, tho i did find a sale at 180. I read somewhere that new tablets are coming out with win8 that makes it easier to connect to a lan? Ie i can have same access to my home server as i do from my pc?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can get tablets with Windows 8, tho they are not nearly as popular as either iPad or Android based tablets.

I don't know too much about them, they are all pretty much made by Microsoft.

Deleted
    You'll not find good windows 8 tablet under 300€.
    The nexus 7 16GB is often available under 200€. Where are you located in Europe ?

beware there is two version of the nexus 7 : 2012 with 720p display, and 2013 with 1080p display.
    Both are good, but this is a reason for different prices.

I think you don't need a 32Gb version, especially if you own an home server. If you use the tablet in trip, you can install the companion app of your home server, to retrieve data on the go if you find a wifi connection.
    Last edited by mmoc38b61199a9; 2014-06-20 at 07:40 AM.

Deleted
    Ok so i didn't get around this had other expenses, pc upgrades etc and i am back going for the kill.

- Modem/router vs router, wireless. For the same price i can get an ASUS DSL-N66U (need to support isdn) or go for Asus RT-N66U router. They seem the same just that the router only has better coverage? Or is it the same and i get 2in1 from the 1st one?

- Tablets, looking around came accross 2 chinese brands, Cube and Pipo that ppl say are pretty good. For like 160-200euro the tablets (9.7-10.1") you can get tablets with very high specs. Android 4.4, 2048x1536 res - retina display,32gb capacity, 3g, 10k mah batteries.... What gives? anyone experience with those?

I highly recommend the ASUS MEMO PAD as a tablet: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-ME181c-...sus+memo+pad+8. This is the 8 inch variant, although there may be a 10 inch. The new Intel Atom processors really make this tablet worthwhile and easy on the wallet.

Deleted
    yes but that is 8" i am looking at 10" and look at the specs. For the sake of comparison (even little cheaper than asus) 9.7" Cube talk 9X U65GT, huge difference in specs. I don't see a reason in buying that Asus, other than it may be more reliable but that is debatable too.

- - - Updated - - -

SO anyone good with networks about the two i mentioned a couple posts above? Should i keep my current "isp" modem and go for the router RT-N66U or the modem/router DSL-N66U? The modem is on a sale and i don't wanna miss it if thats the best choice.