Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Still, do no expect miracle OCs from that motherboard. And I have my doubts about the PSU.

Still, do no expect miracle OCs from that motherboard. And I have my doubts about the PSU.
    He's not using the stock 300w PSU that comes with a Gateway PC. He bought an aftermarket one already and has been using that. Is it the most amazing PSU on the market? No, but it's more than enough to power that hardware and he can always upgrade later.

Also, without upgrading to a better cooler, he won't be overclocking very high anyway. He could spend another $30 to get a hyper 212 evo and OC it a bit, but that board is a Z97, it's made for overclocking. Sure, it doesn't have a ton of extra slots/headers, but it has the same basic features of the more expensive Z97 boards, including a power phase design that will let him OC just as well as the CPU/RAM/GPU will allow.

At this point, spending more would only let him support a greater number of devices (including Xfire/Sli).

Deleted
    The aftermarket psu he got, its not about power, has low efficiency-not a good sign, it been reported many times to fail within the first few months.

The aftermarket psu he got, its not about power, has low efficiency-not a good sign, it been reported many times to fail within the first few months.
    I think he's had it since he bought the computer ~2 years ago. If it's still functional, there's no reason to replace it.

Deleted
    makes sense, or he can buy one later when he can afford it. Personally i wouldn't feel comfortable replacing all major parts (cpu-mobo-gpu) and keeping an old psu unless it was a really good quality one.

makes sense, or he can buy one later when he can afford it. Personally i wouldn't feel comfortable replacing all major parts (cpu-mobo-gpu) and keeping an old psu unless it was a really good quality one.
    Well, PSUs are one of those things that generally either work or they don't. Upgrading on a budget is going to be about necessity more than preference. I agree getting a better PSU would be ideal, but not really within his budget at this time (unless he wants to buy lower quality CPU/Mobo/GPU). I'd also suggest getting new ram, but again, as long as the ram he has works, it's not a necessity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Well, PSUs are one of those things that generally either work or they don't. Upgrading on a budget is going to be about necessity more than preference. I agree getting a better PSU would be ideal, but not really within his budget at this time (unless he wants to buy lower quality CPU/Mobo/GPU). I'd also suggest getting new ram, but again, as long as the ram he has works, it's not a necessity.
    This^ 10char
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Can we just have a giant homeless person city where they can live and we pay for modest housing while they do unskilled laborous jobs to help subsidize the cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    He's not using the stock 300w PSU that comes with a Gateway PC. He bought an aftermarket one already and has been using that. Is it the most amazing PSU on the market? No, but it's more than enough to power that hardware and he can always upgrade later.

Also, without upgrading to a better cooler, he won't be overclocking very high anyway. He could spend another $30 to get a hyper 212 evo and OC it a bit, but that board is a Z97, it's made for overclocking. Sure, it doesn't have a ton of extra slots/headers, but it has the same basic features of the more expensive Z97 boards, including a power phase design that will let him OC just as well as the CPU/RAM/GPU will allow.
    I know he has another PSU, I read it. And I still have my doubts about it, and it would be something I would upgrade next.

As for the mobo, it does not have the same power design as higher end mobo's. This board has most likely a basic 4+1 design (it isnt even listed on the site, which is never a good sign in regards to that). Higher end mobos will have 8+2 or even higher. Im not saying you cant OC on this board, just dont expect miracles. You can probably get a nice 200-400 Mhz extra I geuss.