Per application audio output

So, I'm a bit miffed this has been so difficult of a setup to figure out, but after extensive searching, I haven't found a solution. So, I'm posting here to see if anyone else has had this issue (or something similar) and found a solution.

Situation:
    I'm running Windows 7 64bit. I have my audio hardware setup with 2 output devices: Speakers and Headphones. Some applications let me select which output to use (WoW, Vent, etc), but I'd like to find a way to make selections for other applications that do not natively allow audio output selection. Specifically, I'd like Firefox to output to the speakers to stream Hulu, while Chrome outputs to the headphones to play other things. Or, if there is an app that will let me select output from 2 different Firefox windows that works also, but I'm assuming the Firefox/Chrome setup would be simpler.

Thanks for any assistance.

There is no way to split audio for Windows other than applications that allow you to in sound options. The only thing you can do is set the default output(Windows sounds, browser, etc) and then specify the alternate output in applications that allow you to(Games, VLC, etc).
    Last edited by The Cat; 2014-06-20 at 07:01 PM.

Deleted
    Have you tried setting the default audio device to headphones, then load up Chrome, then set the default audio device to speakers, and load up Firefox. Does that work? If these applications select the audio device at load time it might do the trick.

If it does work, you could write a .bat file and use a program such as NirCmd (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html) to automate the audio device switching and browser loading.

For example:

@echo off
    NirCmd.exe setdefaultsounddevice "Headphones"
    start chrome
    pause
    NirCmd.exe setdefaultsounddevice "Speakers"
    start firefox

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    There is no way to split audio for Windows other than applications that allow you to in sound options. The only thing you can do is set the default output(Windows sounds, browser, etc) and then specify the alternate output in applications that allow you to(Games, VLC, etc).
    Disappointing. This seems like such a simple and useful thing to have, and I could swear I could do it somehow when I was in college (10 years ago).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zatie12 View Post
    Have you tried setting the default audio device to headphones, then load up Chrome, then set the default audio device to speakers, and load up Firefox. Does that work? If these applications select the audio device at load time it might do the trick.

If it does work, you could write a .bat file and use a program such as NirCmd (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html) to automate the audio device switching and browser loading.

For example:

@echo off
    NirCmd.exe setdefaultsounddevice "Headphones"
    start chrome
    pause
    NirCmd.exe setdefaultsounddevice "Speakers"
    start firefox
    Tried this, but they seem to update dynamically as I switch the default device.