Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    But why should the athletes be in academics if they arent cut out for it just because they are athletes?
    If they aren't cut out for it, they shouldn't - that's the benefit of splitting Universities from Gymnasia. Scholarships to academic institutions should be based on academic merit - while athletic scholarships should award support for further athletic training: like the proposed Gymnasia.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero of Kvatch View Post
    Everything sounds simple, "let the government pay for it", if it were that simple it would happen.

GenOT and people in general never cease to amaze me in regards to how they make politics out to be simple.
    It is actually that simple. Unlike how most people think now adays, where money is used for everything, education is currently the thing that gets its funding dropped more than civil services, such as cops and firefighters. Why? So politicians can line their pockets with more cash, and say that they dont have enough to fund such endevours. My general thinking is "Whats best for Humanity?" It is not, "what gets me more money?" or "what my politician says?" or being your basic sheeple. Education is the future. Intelligence. Not war. Not money. Not religion. Education is. If it increases taxes, so be it. Tax us. But the ability to give people better Education is better than giving weapons to some warlord in some country to do your fighting for you. It is better than millions on masses watches the Superbowl or FIFA. I completely understand that "let the government pay for it," while being simple in your mind, is not simple in my mind, since I know I would be still technically be paying for it with taxes, like how other governments do it, such as Sweden.

I do know how politics are, and why the way they are. You have two masses of people in the government... called democrats and republicans. You, as a politician, vote for your side no matter what, or get paid to vote the other way through lobbyism. If you are republican, you vote always to keep democrat's laws out and try to filibuster your way to victory. You do the same if you are democrat against the republicans. This happens, even if the Law is good for the country. But, if you go against "party views" you will have a higher chance of not getting voted back into office by your constituents, because the sheeple of this "great" country only see blue or red... and if you vote for the independent "you are throwing away your vote." Unlike most people, apparently by your definition of the GenOT and people in general, I am superior to your norm, since I actually understand politics, even if my post was not fully in detail, since if I actually say how it really should be, completely, most people will actually be appalled by my very real look into life, and how the world should be and ways of going around and getting to it.

My "Education should be free" is true and stands, even in our current government. It cannot be disregarded by being a simple statement, with "let the government pay for it", and brushed to the side as if I do not know what I am talking about. I truly know what I am talking about, and see it as such. I am not "hippie," rather I am an Idealist.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    If they aren't cut out for it, they shouldn't - that's the benefit of splitting Universities from Gymnasia. Scholarships to academic institutions should be based on academic merit - while athletic scholarships should award support for further athletic training: like the proposed Gymnasia.
    I think you're making a false dichotomy with university athletic programs. For one, an athlete can already skip university and go straight into professional sports--we're seeing this happen more often with NFL recruiting. So the need for a formalized institution for athletes separate from academia is unnecessary because it is redundant. We have minor leagues that players are occasionally recruited out of, as well.

The bottom line is that most athletes attend university because they want an education, and to gain entrance to a university they have to have certain educational requirements in place. These requirements can range from very minimal (certain state universities, or community colleges) to very rigorous (Ivy League). Also, most universities require athletes maintain a certain GPA to keep their athletic scholarship and spot on the team.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not even the scholarship that's the problem - reward people for being good at something extra curricular, go for it. However the problem is that these people are being admitted to university for the sole purpose of doing sports. They do not have the necessary mental capability to be there in many cases and instead get away with shit like the "essay" posted on the previous page, or simply edge by on some course that doesn't exist for a purpose other than those athletes to be able to be called a student. University should be for the intelligent to flourish.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    It's not even the scholarship that's the problem - reward people for being good at something extra curricular, go for it. However the problem is that these people are being admitted to university for the sole purpose of doing sports. They do not have the necessary mental capability to be there in many cases and instead get away with shit like the "essay" posted on the previous page, or simply edge by on some course that doesn't exist for a purpose other than those athletes to be able to be called a student. University should be for the intelligent to flourish.
    I mean, i suppose its just a result from university rivalries. Universities getting teams and sportsmen from its students. So over time they start to accept people for the particular sports to gain more prestige over the other universities. And in the end, it makes them money or prestige so it becomes too prominent.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    http://www.universityherald.com/arti...ert-morris.htm

From the article:

What do you guys think of universities awarding gaming scholarships for students? Personally I love the idea and hope it becomes a trend.
    I don't see any problem with this. If this is an up and coming thing in colleges today and there are actually competitive college leagues out there, then great idea, great way for a few kids to get scholarships.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    I don't see any problem with this. If this is an up and coming thing in colleges today and there are actually competitive college leagues out there, then great idea, great way for a few kids to get scholarships.
    The kids who need the scholarships aren't getting the sports scholarships though, that's the problem. The scholarships are going to athletes whether they require them or not, also independent of whether they're good enough academically to be there, simply so that they can play sports and represent the university.
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    The kids who need the scholarships aren't getting the sports scholarships though, that's the problem. The scholarships are going to athletes whether they require them or not, also independent of whether they're good enough academically to be there, simply so that they can play sports and represent the university.
    considering this is actually a way for kids who don't normally get scholarships to actually get scholarships, because they aren't athletic kinda defeats your point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if there should be scholarships given to athletes at all, but on the other hand I think it is cool that gamers are being recognized.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    considering this is actually a way for kids who don't normally get scholarships to actually get scholarships, because they aren't athletic kinda defeats your point.
    Sorry, how? I'm not bashing the idea of an athletic scholarship, my other post on this very page says otherwise. The problem is they're bringing in people who would never go to university because they aren't bright enough, on this sports scholarship, to represent the university. If you're smart and good at sport then that's great, but that's where ALL the sports scholarships should go and not just a fragment of them.