Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't use notepad for programming. Go for a real IDE like Visual studio Express. Microsoft have these available for free.

C# is a good introduction to programming, if you want to program things meant to end up on Android go for java.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Don't use notepad for programming. Go for a real IDE like Visual studio Express. Microsoft have these available for free.

C# is a good introduction to programming, if you want to program things meant to end up on Android go for java.
    VS teaches people bad habits early on, jgrasp vanilla is a good place to start for Java, and notepad++ for web design.

But yeah, VS makes like about 150% better once you've got the basics down.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    My answer will be much more on the web side of things. You really shouldn't use languages like Java or C++ if you're doing web projects unless you know what you're doing. I personally don't like C, C++, C#, Java, etc., they definitely have their places and I'd say C++ is probably the single best language right now, but I wouldn't start there if you're interested in doing web. If you want to do more software or hardware, start with basic C, learn perfect code, and branch out to C++ or Java. If you just want to build a mobile app, I guess you could start off with Java or Objective, but I still don't think those are great first languages.

Anyways, I'll talk about web as I have 10+ years in it, working full time right now, actually putting a 6 month project out as an MVP for user testing this Monday. I should probably be coding right now.

My suggestion is Python. Ruby on Rails is a close second, but you'll learn too much 'magic' and not enough programming with it. I wouldn't learn PHP, you'll learn it wrong and be a part of the 99 percentile of PHP programmers who write terrible code and embarrass the language. PHP is actually my primary language, though I'm now part of the 1%, definitely used to be a part of the 99%.

You'll have to learn 4 other "languages" on some minor levels as well. SQL, Javascript, HTML, and CSS. Javascript is an actual programming language (jQuery is a bad habit, don't get started), SQL is really just working with data[bases], and CSS / HTML are just about making things look pretty. Actually most professional software engineers barely have proficiency in more than 1-2 of those 4 languages, but they work on teams where people do it for them.

To start, go to www.codeacademy.com or something and click on Python or Rails. Supplement it with a few online tutorials and just get started. If you don't like the language, you can switch. Your second language will be easier. I've probably done some small project in 20+ languages and could pick up another one in a matter of minutes (barring the time it takes to install). You'll probably never learn a language completely, don't strive for that, strive for completing a project. After 10+ years as a hobby, 5+ as a job, Google is still my #1 most visited website during work hours.

As far as tools go, Dreamweaver sucks. I'd say C/C#/C++/Java/Python you should get an IDE. For Rails, Javascript, PHP, etc, I wouldn't. I personally use Sublime Text 3, I don't like Notepad++, but it's free so whatever. Text editors are about preference, a lot of people will argue about emacs and vim and nano and I think they're stupid. Also, please get into good habits and use www.github.com as early as possible and try to never use FTP/SSH. Your first web app should probably be on Heroku (well it should be on your local machine first, but yeah), so find a tutorial w/ Python, Github, Heroku and deploying a starter app.

Good luck.

Deleted
    Thank you for all the great replies!
    It's getting a bit late over here so ill probably hit the bed, but i will definitely check back on this thread tomorrow as this have been to tremendous help.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    C++ is also a hard language to start with, that's my main gripe.
    Heh, I remember back then and I am talking early nineties Ansi-C was the staple of programming. I used it to learn the ropes but because C compilers were pretty expensive (not affordable for the common pupil) I used it to translate the concept behind the code to translate it into other languages like M68k assembler (back then we could actually say assembler and not *spit* assembly). C++ later on wasn't really much harder. I found it pretty much a good idea to use for writing my own lowlevel API which included things like a garbage collection handler and dynamic memory allocation. My own tools were pretty much vim and gcc + make scripts. These days it's all about C#, Java and whatnot and C++ is being frowned upon. Can't blame them though because compared to simplicity of these C++ looks indeed daunting. I remember when C++ was considered high-level language these days it's called low-level lol.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Well if you want it as a hobby why don't you learn a functional language? You'll hardly find a job that uses one BUT they are really interesting. I'd recommend LISP, don't let its awful syntax scary you! There's also Haskell many people recommend it but I've never used it before.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerds

Don't mind me, I'm just venting my frustration that I can't be interested in programming. It looks so useful.

For the people advocating Java: would you recommend the Eclipse or Netbeans IDE? I find netbeans a lot more accessible but I've heard eclipse is used more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    For the people advocating Java: would you recommend the Eclipse or Netbeans IDE? I find netbeans a lot more accessible but I've heard eclipse is used more often.
    I use Eclipse but there is nothing wrong with Netbeans tho.

Deleted
    Eclipse is good, but you can try out some cross platform development framework for the development work and notepad++ or eclipse are awesome.

Oh damn I'm gone of the guys who said Java.

I have to recommend Eclipse. I'll be honest...I don't use Java...but Eclipse came packaged with this thing I got for getting the apps I make onto my Kindle so I'm assuming its more widespread.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    VS teaches people bad habits early on, jgrasp vanilla is a good place to start for Java, and Sublime Text for web development.

But yeah, VS makes like about 150% better once you've got the basics down.
    I fixed that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Merite View Post
    You'll have to learn 4 other "languages" on some minor levels as well. SQL, Javascript, HTML, and CSS. Javascript is an actual programming language (jQuery is a bad habit, don't get started), SQL is really just working with data[bases], and CSS / HTML are just about making things look pretty. Actually most professional software engineers barely have proficiency in more than 1-2 of those 4 languages, but they work on teams where people do it for them.
    Someone who knows the difference between Javascript and jQuery...listen to this man.
    Last edited by usiris; 2014-06-23 at 01:23 AM.

You don't choose the language then the app. You define the app, the tech stack, and learn the language(s) accordingly.

- - - Updated - - -

IntelliJ or then Eclipse.

Netbeans is shit.