Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Why would they waste the time to port over an old game that is in decline when they have the ability to start from the ground up to do this?
    Because it's still ridiculously popular compared to any other competition (which recent have invaded the console market too) and earns shed loads of money. Expanding onto console (if done properly) would increase it's lifespan and subs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    Both those articles basically say "It would be cool, but it's unrealistic and won't happen."

I think it would be possible, but a World of Warcraft on consoles could never be the same World of Warcraft that is on PC. There would have to be many, many changes made to accommodate the lack of a mouse and keyboard. Because MMO's require more than just action keys you don't have much room for hotkeys.

Sticks: Movement and Camera
    D-Pad: Preset Chat Navigator/Emotes
    A: Jump
    B: Interact (Talk to NPC)
    X: Bindable Ability (Potions)
    Y: Bindable Ability (Cooldowns)
    RT: Rotational Ability
    RB: Rotational Ability
    LT: Rotational Ability
    LB: Rotational Ability

You would have to, at the very minimum, reduce every spec in the game down to 4 rotational abilities, and 2 cooldowns. It would be a tremendous challenge having to re-imagine and balance what is basically 34 unique playstyles.

On top of that, you wouldn't really be able to use the traditional "Target -> Cast" style of WoW gameplay. You would have to use more of an ESO style 'soft lock' and have the camera lock to a crosshair.

That's not true. Think of the pruning as trimming an overgrown hedge. Yeah, sure, it will make things nice for a while, but as the expansions and patches come and go there will come a time when abilities become bloated again, and another trim is necessary.
    There are many options and possibilities for a console-version. :-)

Left & Right Analog Stick (clickable, two more buttons)
    D-Pad
    A
    B
    X
    Y
    RB
    LB
    RT
    LT
    RB+A
    RB+B
    RB+X
    RB+Y
    LB+A
    LB+B
    LB+X
    LB+Y
    RT+A
    RT+B
    RT+X
    RT+Y
    LT+A
    LT+B
    LT+X
    LT+Y
    LB+RB
    LB+LT
    LB+RT
    LT+RT
    LT+RB
    RB+RT
    And more...

There's +30 button options that can be mapped easily into the interface.

Target can be made by press and holding LB and Right Stick to select nearest targets with a dot crosshair. This will result in being similar to a crossover between Darksiders and Red Dead Redemption.

Example of Lock-On (target select): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz8DQgW3JKc notice character movements and strafing, similar to WoW.
    Last edited by mmocaf9347b2ca; 2014-06-23 at 06:24 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by darkvexen View Post
    no, not enough buttons. ive tried hooking up 360 controller. can use a few abilities but not good enough for raids.
    That´s why the OP mentioned WoD, ability pruning and stuff

Having played FF14 and FF11 I can tell you it doable for an MMO, but the game itself needs to be designed with consoles in mind. The problem with doing it with WoW isn't the number of buttons, but rather the fact that absolutely nothing in the game has been designed for use with console. Yes in theory you can sit here and say, " well they just need to do this, this and this and its good to go " but that isn't even remotely true. The entire infrastructure of the game would need to be retooled, abilities redone, the way the game world operates may need to be adjusted, and thats just the tip of the iceberg.

Then you need to look at the reason for doing it in the first place, more players, more profit. The problem is this, it is a 10 year old game, you risk messing up the game for your PC crowd just to attempt to get some players on consoles. The risk vs. reward on doing so is massive, to the point you could end up like SWG where your core group just completely bails on you.

Could this long wait be because they are waiting to get it console ready? Sure its possible but very unlikely. Short of something like ability pruning, there is nothing else going on in alpha that would lead you to believe that anything is being overhauled for the console market.

Hell no. /10chars

10+ Year Old Account
    Screw controller support. WoW on console would require mouse and keyboard. Problem solved.

Now make it happen Blizz. I'd wager my shiny new PS4 would handle WoW better than my old ass, on its last leg PC :/

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
    No. Even with a few skills being removed, there is still no way in hell it could be playable on a console.
    Of course it could be playable on a console. You just won't be able to mix console players and pc players. The console players will be on their own servers and all suffer equally from the handicap of a console controller.

WoW continues to move in the direction of solo content combined with insta-grouping with random strangers. This is a perfect fit for a console version of WoW. My guess is it would only include WoD content and all characters would start at 90.

realy not trying to be that guy but go back a few pages. if your claiming there arent enough buttons then your kinda wrong tho:/

Has anyone really touched on the financial/technical side of things? Alot of the people who think, "Yeah it's possible" seem to be focused on the idea that 90 different button combinations is all you need, but has anyone brought in the fact that Sony/Microsoft would ask, "So, what's in it for us?" What the development cost would be to create a different UI, or to make addons usable, or other expenses Blizzard would need to make for a nearly 10 year old game?

7+ Year Old Account

re:Is WoW heading to consoles?!

Nope that wouldn't be a good idea besides people playing wow on pc is easier.

Everyone's thinking on the technical side and yes, this gen of consoles can run WoW arguably better than most casual gamers' PCs will run WoW. What most seem to be overlooking is the game itself;

Consoles wouldn't have access to the addons PC users get, in order to force equality you'd need to prevent addons from working for PC. This is the reason why FF:ARR launched with no addons and is still working on actually implementing them, since all addons have to be run through SE rather than by individual developers like WoW's addons.

Console users will be at a disadvantage in terms of control, compared to Mouse/Keyboard users. Unless console users use a keyboard, then in which case why are you even playing on console, you will not perform as well in PvP and only perform equally in PvE on patchwerk fights. Combat is simply too fast for a controller, again why FF:ARR works to a point with it's longer GCD and combat movement aids.

Then you've got to recode just about everything which is a monumental task now. Nah, PC users would be artificially limited because of consoles, not in terms of performance but in terms of character control and customisation, simply because things would have to be made equal. Then you'd see the slow down of combat, since console users would inevitably complain they can't compete in PvP or competitive PvE activites. Just no. Better to keep WoW away from consoles.

10+ Year Old Account
    there is no way wow could be mapped to a controller. way too many abilities and a $50,000 fee for updates from micro$oft.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

The amount of redesigning they'd have to do with all the menus would be insane. Plus, how would healing work? Addons? Look at how different the menus in D3 on PC are compared to the console version

Deleted
    please god no, theres one guaranteed way to ruin a game and thats to bring it out on consoles

Quote Originally Posted by Binko View Post
    Of course it could be playable on a console. You just won't be able to mix console players and pc players. The console players will be on their own servers and all suffer equally from the handicap of a console controller.

WoW continues to move in the direction of solo content combined with insta-grouping with random strangers. This is a perfect fit for a console version of WoW. My guess is it would only include WoD content and all characters would start at 90.
    That is a good point.
    Segregating the population isn't a good thing when much of the content is reliant on that larger population.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

I used Xpadder to map keyboard buttons to my PS2 pad and would do pretty much everything except serious raiding using that

Left Stick: Character Movement
    Right Stick: Camera Movement (as well as hold it in then move it to move mouse cursor for interacting with things)
    X, O, [], /\, R1, R2, L1, L2: Most Used Skills
    D-Pad: Shift modifier on Up, longer CD's on the other 3 directions

Worked fairly well except the camera movement and was fine for dungeons and questing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    I used Xpadder to map keyboard buttons to my PS2 pad and would do pretty much everything except serious raiding using that

Left Stick: Character Movement
    Right Stick: Camera Movement (as well as hold it in then move it to move mouse cursor for interacting with things)
    X, O, [], /\, R1, R2, L1, L2: Most Used Skills
    D-Pad: Shift modifier on Up, longer CD's on the other 3 directions

Worked fairly well except the camera movement and was fine for dungeons and questing
    blizzard isnt going to port their game to a 14 year old console.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FruitBat69 View Post
    Because it's still ridiculously popular compared to any other competition (which recent have invaded the console market too) and earns shed loads of money. Expanding onto console (if done properly) would increase it's lifespan and subs.
    microsoft charges $50000 per update for games. any profit made would be quickly eaten up by microsoft absurd's hotfix fees.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    blizzard isnt going to port their game to a 14 year old console.
    I don't think I said they would :s
    All I was doing was pointing out that it's perfectly possibly to play (some classes and no doubt most if not all come WoD ability pruning) with a console pad..and yes it's 14 years old so if that pad can handle it I'm sure the fancy newer console pads can too

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    I don't think I said they would :s
    All I was doing was pointing out that it's perfectly possibly to play (some classes and no doubt most if not all come WoD ability pruning) with a console pad..and yes it's 14 years old so if that pad can handle it I'm sure the fancy newer console pads can too
    The title of your post is a question " Is WoW heading to consoles?!"

While you didn't say it would, you're asking for other people's opinions and therefore inviting commentary

I do not think wow will ever be released in a console version. While some people, like yourself will attempt to play it this way - it's not meant to be. Sure you can quest, but I don't think come wod you will have the reaction times for say the new heroics. And I feel if wow ever was supported to be played on console it would dumb it down even further which personally for me, would be the end of my sub. I think the game is too brain dead easy as it is.

If they announce it at Blizz con expect a told you so dance out of me