Thread: Faith

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Don't judge me though, look at "your" science. Its full of fairy tales too.
    Do tell what are those fairytales in science that you're talking about? If there really are such things then the least you could do is name them.

This thread sure took a weird turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly... thats what I meant. I respect me dad but I think a lot of hes views are antiquated.
    The issue lies with yourself, not with your father.
    You were the one treating/seeing him God-like. I have no idea how old you are. But it appears, you are just growing up, and the shrouds of fantasy fog start to open up..
    Respect has little to do with your fathers or mothers intelligence. It has to do with you they raised you, how they treat you. How they act within society.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Science IS wrong about everything
    How is it that you managed to type that out on your keyboard?

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually I think hes one of the smartest people ever. But I also think hes completely wrong. Science IS wrong about everything but its goals are right.. if you believe in science you might just as well believe in a bearded man living in the sky.
    Really now......
    Are you aware of that nonsense you uttering here?
    it makes zero sense whatsoever.......

10+ Year Old Account
    Who said its a crisis, I just asked a question. do you think faith in general is a good or a limiting thing?
    Faith isn't limiting at all if you're an intelligent person. You're asking if you should trust him, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    simple.
    It was suppose to be a chalkboard, damn science failed, and it ended up to become a keyboard.

Deleted
    Actually I think hes one of the smartest people ever. But I also think hes completely wrong. Science IS wrong about everything but its goals are right.. if you believe in science you might just as well believe in a bearded man living in the sky.
    I can guarantee you 100% he's not.

You idolize him due to your unwavering love and respect as an authority figure, he shits, pisses, wanks, cries, and experiences jealously like any other person.

Short of him being the next super-genius he's just another man who may or may not be slightly above the average level of intelligence.

Your ranting of science being fiction and wrong is harmless quacking, as anyone worth their salt and pepper realizes.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    It wouldn't be science if there wasn't evidence. What you just wrote its 100% factually wrong.

Can you share this science with no evidence?
    Actually he's more right than you are. It's easy to feel superior when you're subscribing to the currently most popular club without ever really understanding what it's about. Today's faith in the "evidence" of science is exactly the same as the faith in the infallibility of God, religion and the salvation it's supposed to bring. It feels safe and is easy to do.

It's not difficult to produce "evidence" if it all happens within an open system that is based upon derivation and deduction from within itself. You'd be suprised how much of "science" is speculation, wild guessing and representation of things we're not able to grasp. What I'm saying: you don't really know or understand science. You've just accepted the claim that it's based on "evidence" and "proof".

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    simple.
    It was suppose to be a chalkboard, damn science failed, and it ended up to become a keyboard.
    Or maybe computers are the product of bananas?

10+ Year Old Account
    Or maybe computers are the product of bananas?
    Mine is from peaches.

10+ Year Old Account
    Clearly your dads intelligence skipped a generation. Either that or your just baiting.

I don't know what this thread is supposed to be, or where it's going, but it's a very, very strange one. A whole lot of confusion being propagated up in here.

I thought my parents were the bomb too, until I grew up and realized I should do everything in my power to not be like them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    Actually he's more right than you are. It's easy to feel superior when you're subscribing to the currently most popular club without ever really understanding what it's about. Today's faith in the "evidence" of science is exactly the same as the faith in the infallibility of God, religion and the salvation it's supposed to bring. It feels safe and is easy to do.

It's not difficult to produce "evidence" if it all happens within an open system that is based upon derivation and deduction from within itself. You'd be suprised how much of "science" is speculation, wild guessing and representation of things we're not able to grasp. What I'm saying: you don't really know or understand science. You've just accepted the claim that it's based on "evidence" and "proof".
    Science seeks to prove and/or disprove.
    It is longing for answers either way, it is longing for proof. Science never accepts the final result as being the final result. It accepts that as final for the moment, final for now.
    But all of this is not the issue.....
    The issue is the statement "Science is a fairytale"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    I can guarantee you 100% he's not.

You idolize him due to your unwavering love and respect as an authority figure, he shits, pisses, wanks, cries, and experiences jealously like any other person.

Short of him being the next super-genius he's just another man who may or may not be slightly above the average level of intelligence.

Your ranting of science being fiction and wrong is harmless quacking, as anyone worth their salt and pepper realizes.
    Youre right on your money. Hes not that smart but he inspired me to question and I owe him a lot for that. I used to think everything he said was the absolute truth but now I have my own ideas. They may be as wrong as hes are but still I think the one thing he did right was to question and innovate and this is why I still have faith in him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    Faith isn't limiting at all if you're an intelligent person. You're asking if you should trust him, though.
    No I was talking about the benefits of faith in general.. my dad was just an example.

They may be as wrong as hes are but still I think the one thing he did right was to question and innovate and this is why I still have faith in him.
    Why do you keep calling it faith if his advice works in practise?

10+ Year Old Account
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Science?s=t

"systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation."

You are objectively 100% wrong. Science doesn't have the answers for everything and it never will, but if science in general was wrong about everything, you wouldn't be complaining on internet forums about high school level family problems using terms you don't understand. Computers wouldn't exist and you'd be starving in a cave waiting for your deity of choice to magic food into your lap.

Believing in science is believing in reality - in tested theories and constant observation and experimentation to find new answers and make sure our old answers still hold up to new knowledge. If you were raised to believe in a higher power that's fine, but to completely dismiss science as fiction is ridiculous and you're being misled, intentionally or not.

As for the OT, people tend to look up to their parents growing up. It's natural to get older and realize your parents don't know everything and aren't perfect. It's part of becoming an adult. I don't think you really understand the terms you put forth either but as a short answer, faith is a bad thing the vast majority of the time. It's a belief in something without evidence. It's blind and willful ignorance and to simply believe something to be so for no reason at all is ridiculous.

The last thing you described was self confidence, not faith, and it's a good thing up to a point. Confidence is good, arrogance is bad.

I used to think my dad was the smartest person in the world right.
    Well, we all have to grow up and learn that just ain't so at some point.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, I see. Know-nothing ideology at its finest.

Deleted
    Why do you keep calling it faith if his advice works in practise?
    Because you can smash stuff with a rock or a bone to make other stuff happen thats good for you! Otherwise we wouldnt talk about it, we would ridicule it. Doesnt mean its always right though. I want to know the truth, not what work in our limited scale of understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Uoyredrum View Post
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Science?s=t

"systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation."

You are objectively 100% wrong. Science doesn't have the answers for everything and it never will, but if science in general was wrong about everything, you wouldn't be complaining on internet forums about high school level family problems using terms you don't understand. Computers wouldn't exist and you'd be starving in a cave waiting for your deity of choice to magic food into your lap.

Believing in science is believing in reality - in tested theories and constant observation and experimentation to find new answers and make sure our old answers still hold up to new knowledge. If you were raised to believe in a higher power that's fine, but to completely dismiss science as fiction is ridiculous and you're being misled, intentionally or not.

As for the OT, people tend to look up to their parents growing up. It's natural to get older and realize your parents don't know everything and aren't perfect. It's part of becoming an adult. I don't think you really understand the terms you put forth either but as a short answer, faith is a bad thing the vast majority of the time. It's a belief in something without evidence. It's blind and willful ignorance and to simply believe something to be so for no reason at all is ridiculous.

The last thing you described was self confidence, not faith, and it's a good thing up to a point. Confidence is good, arrogance is bad.
    Doesnt that mean Im right.. but a bit too right? Science can never be 100% proven. They used to believe in spontaneous creation of life and a number of absurdities.. soe great minds got it mostly right but still not quite. Does reality even exist?

Doesnt that mean Im right.. but a bit too right? Science can never be 100% proven.
    This is not an excuse for believing whatever fiction you're in the mood for.
    They used to believe in spontaneous creation of life and a number of absurdities..
    Depending on your definition of life, that's still the working theory.