Aftermath of Delidding...

So I just finish delidding my 4770k and after the whole cleaning process and reapplying I got my computer to boot up and everything seems fine
    except temps are exactly the same.

I am curious if I made a mistake somewhere and cannot retry since I had just enough thermal paste to do this.

I was using Arctic silver 5 and will be picking some more up tomorrow

Questions.
    When you apply the thermal paste on the pcb, do you try to spread it evenly across it or do you do something similar to the pea method?
    Also I been reading that Arctic Silver isn't preferred anymore, what would the new recommendation be?

Oh man that thread title made me think you destroyed your CPU. Almost facepalmed my desk and was getting ready to laugh at you(yes i'm a asshole) until I started reading your actual post.

If I recall correctly(and going off what this guy did), a TIM like this works best.
    Last edited by tielknight; 2014-06-23 at 12:50 AM.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

I was well very close to destroying my cpu...I had a bit of the razor in and got frustrated because I ended up cutting myself so I hammered the razor in and the lid popped off. I wouldn't do it again though if I had to delid another

And thank you, probably order that in a bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you scrape off the black silicone glue holding the IHS in place? That's what gives you the largest improvement because the glue pushes up the IHS a bit which gives worse contact between the CPU die and IHS.

And yeah, arctic silver 5 isn't very good to use for this purpose, preferrably you should use liquid metal like the already linked liquid ultra or liquid pro. The next best thing after those is a thermal paste called Gelid GC-Extreme.

Personally I'd use Liquid ultra between CPU die and IHS, and GC-Extreme between IHS and heatsink (liquid metal isn't that good to use between IHS and heatsink, and it also "eats" aluminium so you'd need an all-copper heatsink base)

15+ Year Old Account
    It's also not guaranteed that you'll see any improvement. Keep in mind though that arctic silver 5 has long burn in time so you can expect the temperatures to yet drop from 3 to 5 degrees. But yeah it's not the best stuff regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Did you scrape off the black silicone glue holding the IHS in place? That's what gives you the largest improvement because the glue pushes up the IHS a bit which gives worse contact between the CPU die and IHS.

And yeah, arctic silver 5 isn't very good to use for this purpose, preferrably you should use liquid metal like the already linked liquid ultra or liquid pro. The next best thing after those is a thermal paste called Gelid GC-Extreme.

Personally I'd use Liquid ultra between CPU die and IHS, and GC-Extreme between IHS and heatsink (liquid metal isn't that good to use between IHS and heatsink, and it also "eats" aluminium so you'd need an all-copper heatsink base)
    It's highly recommended you use LIQUID ULTRA as cleanup is as easy as wiping it off appropriately. LIQUID PRO is a headache to remove, as it can adhere to the applied surface like GLUE as many reviews have shown. Even the best case scenario with Liquid Pro is that cleanup is still a mess that can result in what many describe as "thick metal sluge" or the formation of "metal balls".

As far as TIM, when it comes to mounting a heatsink on top of your IHS, you really can't go wrong with most pastes. All newer pastes perform within a fraction of a fraction of each other. The only notable performer other than Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra/Liquid Pro would be Indigo Xtreme which still takes the cake on temps as nothing comes close.

HOWEVER.. AS5, even with the appropriate burn-in time, tends to run hotter than most of the competition (we're talking 2-4 degrees). It's still not a bad option, though I definitely wouldn't ever recommend it when delidding. If you are delidding, you are enough of an enthusiast to justify investing in Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra.
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Asus PG258Q 240Hz 24.5" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Logitech G502 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceG87 View Post
    It's highly recommended you use LIQUID ULTRA as cleanup is as easy as wiping it off appropriately. LIQUID PRO is a headache to remove, as it can adhere to the applied surface like GLUE as many reviews have shown. Even the best case scenario with Liquid Pro is that cleanup is still a mess that can result in what many describe as "thick metal sluge" or the formation of "metal balls".
    That is if you need to remove it, why would you though? (unless you regularly swap around coolers and the bond between the die and IHS breaks)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    That is if you need to remove it, why would you though? (unless you regularly swap around coolers and the bond between the die and IHS breaks)
    Some folks are not as "cautious" when applying their TIM, those folks tend to make a mess of their initial application. Others might want to try several different TIM's for the sake of getting a direct comparison.

The point is, if you have to remove it even once.. it's a pain in the arse if you find your delidded IHS adhered to the DIE.

EDIT - If you thought initially delidding was a scary scenario, imagine if you had to remove the IHS and found it was damn near glued directly to your CPU die due to your TIM choice.
    Last edited by BruceG87; 2014-06-23 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Initial wording was poor.
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Asus PG258Q 240Hz 24.5" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Logitech G502 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

I'll probably order the Liquid ultra another time, currently waiting on the thermal paste Tiel suggested
    Current stress temps are a bit off
    Core 1 is ~10c higher than Core 4
    Core 2 and 3 are about the same
    Core 4 runs cooler than the rest by 5c
    at idle they run fairly the same 35-40c

Deleted
    Sounds like uneven spread on the paste or uneven fastening for the cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post
    Sounds like uneven spread on the paste or uneven fastening for the cooler.
    Exactly this. I have installed several water coolers from Antec, Corsair, and Coolermaster and ALL of them can fluctuate by 20c+ if not installed perfectly. In fact the 4770k I have running in my own system was running 88c under load. I thought this was a little high and double checked the tightness of the thumb screws on my Corsair H80i. One of the screws needed less than a whole turn and all were secure. I tested again and I couldn't get it higher than 74c under load. 1 screw that needed a quarter turn made that much of a difference.

Most people see 2c-5c difference from delidding. It doesn't open up much headroom for overclocking at all and I don't think its worth anyone's time. Especially if you sell your old hardware when you buy new hardware.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro