Poll: 60fps 720 VS 30fps 1080

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

60fps 720 VS 30fps 1080

So here is the major question

Would you rather a game be 60 fps at 720 and not be locked meaning FPS can go higher or lower

OR

Would you rather a game be 30 fps at 1080 with locked fps meaning it never dips or goes higher no matter whats on screen.

and why.

Personally even though i sit less than a foot away from my tv either or doesnt bother me and i think those that claim one or the other is the absolute shit are full of it.
    Last edited by Zeta333; 2014-06-23 at 08:54 AM.

1080p unlocked obviously
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

1080p at 30fps.

1080p looks better, there's no denying that and while 30fps isn't ideal, it does get the job done. Personally once it gets over 50 I can't really tell there's a difference the vast majority of the time whereas I can always tell the diff between 720 and 1080.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    So here is the major question

Would you rather a game be 60 fps at 720 and not be locked meaning FPS can go higher or lower

OR

Would you rather a game be 30 fps at 1080 with locked fps meaning it never dips or goes higher no matter whats on screen.

and why.

Personally even though i sit less than a foot away from my tv either or doesnt bother me and i think those that claim one or the other is the absolute shit are full of it.
    So you make a thread about something that is based completely on opinion and then say who ever doesn't agree with you is full of it, really?

OT 1080p with 60fps because that's what I want to achieve.

10+ Year Old Account
    You messed up the poll lol.

If the game can't stay at 60 fps 90% of the time I would rather it be locked to 30 or 45, whatever it needs to be to maintain a consistent frame rate for 90% of the game. FPS jumps from 45-60 look terrible if it's often, 30-60 jumps are even worse. Framerate needs to be locked to deviation of 15 to match up well with the refresh rate of most panels(or have a crap ton of motion blur ala live action) otherwise the judders are very noticeable to me. Unlocked framerate is terrible for me, I didn't even finish killzone shadowfall until they patched in the 30 fps lock option because the juddering from 30-60 was so damn terrible looking to me.

As far as resolution go's, on a pc monitor that game HAS to be ran at native resolution or it just ends up looking grainy and terrible. On good TV set it's much more forgiving depending on how far you sit from it. I sit about 6 feet away from a 46 inch 1080p samsung and it's hard at times to tell a difference if a game is native resolution or not, usually only really noticeable when a 720p game has no AA.

Lastly the poll even if it was written correctly is stupid. 720p 60 fps and 1080p 30 fps are not one in the same. A game running at 1080/30 won't magically run at 60 fps at 720p without other factors being involved. There are many other factors in play then resolution when it comes to fps.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2014-06-23 at 08:43 AM.

1 did not read the poll
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    You messed up the poll lol.
    yeah, reverse those options. Poll is a no brainer! haha

1080p 60fps minimum for me. If a PC game or console can't handle that I am not going close to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll take 1080p and 50+ fps thank you.

I just wouldn't play a game with either 60fps@720p or 30fps@1080p. First option looks crap, second option feels crap. So yeah given those 2 options I'd rather just not play at all.

Reason right there why I don't own a console ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    On good TV set it's much more forgiving depending on how far you sit from it.
    That isn't a result of superior TV technology, but of the increased viewing distance you typically have when sitting in front of a TV in comparison to playing on a PC.
    Okay, cheap PC-monitors won't have a good upscaler integrated, but quality ones do.
    And resolution is, in first place, about visible details, or otherwise, information. Not about "blocksize"

Protip: use a 4k-display. Best aa you'll ever experience, regardless of 720p or 1080p, the additional pixels smooth out any blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    I'll take 1080p and 50+ fps thank you.
    "50+ fps" implied a juddering framerate that doesn't do a good job at all with matching up with a panels refresh rate. Locked 60 fps is great, some crap running at 50-60 is going to bounce all over the place and feel more sluggish then 30 fps locked.

it all depend on your screen. 720 on a native 1080p screen is going to ugly as hell. but 720 on a 720 screen looks fine. this is just a useless topic/poll.

FPS over resolution for me. FPS affects the gameplay, resolution the graphics. However It depends on the game and the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by TenDance View Post
    That isn't a result of superior TV technology, but of the increased viewing distance you typically have when sitting in front of a TV in comparison to playing on a PC.
    That is basically what I said, I wasn't implying there is better technology in TVs then Monitors. When you are sitting right up on a 27 inch 1440p monitor no amount of upscaling is going to make a non native resolution image look good. Where as sitting 6 feet from a 40-50 inch TV you aren't going to notice it much at all if the image isn't native 1080p.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    1 did not read the poll
    yeh i realize that hopefully a mod will see and fix this for me. XD

10+ Year Old Account
    I see no difference between 30 and 60 FPS.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

i would pick 60 fps over 30 if that meant crappy resolution and bad graphics.

That said i game on the masterrace so fortunately i can get 60 fps 1080p and much much more.

Quote Originally Posted by loki504 View Post
    it all depend on your screen. 720 on a native 1080p screen is going to ugly as hell. but 720 on a 720 screen looks fine. this is just a useless topic/poll.
    Yet when every a next gen game is announced or released and its FPS/Res specs are put out, its either vilified for one or the other, i watched a joystiq article where they argued back and forth nonstop over this very topic. So you can say its useless but then it crops up in every single new games thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Yet when every a next gen game is announced or released and its FPS/Res specs are put out, its either vilified for one or the other, i watched a joystiq article where they argued back and forth nonstop over this very topic. So you can say its useless but then it crops up in every single new games thread.
    So you're saying you made this thread because you're mad that MS gets laughed at for making a weaker console?

You don't always need to defend them my dude. Have fun with your life, don't worry about people laughing at your most favorite game company in the world.

The PS4 isn't strong in it's own right, it just runs circles around the crap MS tries to peddle out at the same price point. It's not the media's fault that MS's blunder in this regard is laughable.