Deleted

Upgrade Current System for 25 man Raids & Streaming

Hi guys,

after I got a new internet connection I'm looking to upgrade my system for better ingame fps & streaming quality.

Some information about current system, internet connection & my budget:

Problem:
    - fps goes down to 18-20 fps while streaming 25 man raid with OBS to twitch 1920x1080 , 30fps, 2500 bitrate , x264 main codec with ultrafast cpu setting and stream buffers/laggs often while watching. Frame loss < 1 %.

Current build:
    CPU: Intel i5-4570 @ 3.20 GHz
    RAM: 8GB Corsair
    Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    128gb Samsung SSD + 256gb Samsung SSD
    Connection: 16 MBit/s down / 4 MBit/s up (maybe I get 6MBit/s upstream next week)

Budget: 300 Euro ~ 408 USD ( maybe more if you tell me that there are more parts which need to be changed :P )

I don't know if the fps stuff is related to my GPU or CPU.

Thanks in advance,

Sudos
    Last edited by mmoc1412f1a3e7; 2014-06-23 at 12:00 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Best bet for the money is probably just to upgrade your graphics card. Your other components are pretty good for WoW at least.

Maybe worth paying for a small SSD also, to run WoW and Windows from.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    Best bet for the money is probably just to upgrade your graphics card.
    That's pointless. The graphics card is perfect and is hugely bottlenecked by WoW's crappy engine causing it to use only 2 of the CPU's cores.
    The only thing he could realistically do is to get a SSD as a system drive.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrobg View Post
    That's pointless. The graphics card is perfect and is hugely bottlenecked by WoW's crappy engine causing it to use only 2 of the CPU's cores.
    The only thing he could realistically do is to get a SSD as a system drive.
    He has 300-400 dollars to spend on an upgrade. Spending that much only on an SSD is not going to give him as much a boost as getting a smaller SSD and a GPU.
    The GPU will also improve video encoding for the stream, and is the slowest component of that system, barring the hard drive.
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    He has 300-400 dollars to spend on an upgrade. Spending that much only on an SSD is not going to give him as much a boost as getting a smaller SSD and a GPU.
    The GPU will also improve video encoding for the stream, and is the slowest component of that system, barring the hard drive.
    What are you suggesting, a GTX 760? That would be a 10-15% increase in performance for $300 which he will never ever feel because the graphics card is bottlenecked.
    He'd better get more RAM and possibly a better case along with the SSD. Better buy something that's worth the money.

15+ Year Old Account
    Also an option, I just know that better graphics card make real-time encoding and streaming much less of an FPS killer.
    Personally I have 16Gb of RAM in my laptop and WoW never gets close to 8Gb anyway, so hardly seems like a useful upgrade in this case.

I have found for streaming more ram can be helpful as well and it isn't that expensive of an upgrade if you still got 2 free slots (assuming you do).

The video card thing could use an upgrade but isn't going to net you a ton of performance in WoW. Here is what I would suggest:

Snag yourself an SSD, and some more ram. Save whatever you got left over and hold onto it until the next gen video cards come out in the range of 6 months. At that point you will have a pretty monster system. Your 660 will handle what you need until then. Although if things are just for WoW don't expect major differences when you get a new video card.

Your problem of dropping to 20ish FPS in 25 man raiding is less a problem with your system and more a problem with the WoW engine. Really, really, really beast systems can have trouble maintaining 50-60 fps in 25 man raiding while streaming.
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2014-06-23 at 10:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Afaik the data is being transmitted from the HDD, then uploaded to the streaming server. So a faster HDD, like an SSD or a WD Black might help.
    Also your connection is very bad for decent quality streaming if it's 16 Mbps and not 16 MB/s. You didn't specify.
    Last edited by Vargur; 2014-06-23 at 10:18 PM.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

I would definitely get an SSD and possibly some more ram. I would also say get as close to 10mb upload on your connection as you can. Everything else in your pc is fine.
    Last edited by Gsara; 2014-06-23 at 10:09 AM.

Deleted
    thank you for your fast responses!

Forgot to mention that I already have 2 SSD's (128 + 256gb) :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sudos View Post
    thank you for your fast responses!

Forgot to mention that I already have 2 SSD's (128 + 256gb) :P
    Dependent on which Eurozone country you're from and whether your motherboard is of the Zx7 variety, I'd suggest the following:

Get a 4670k, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and overclock the 4670k to a reasonable level.

If your motherboard isn't of the Zx7 variety, then I'd suggest getting a discrete capture card, such as the AverMedia 1080p lines, and additional 8GB of RAM.