Deleted

GTX 780/(ti) build help

To preface this, I'm a complete tech scrub, so where better to ask for advice than MMOC!

Replacing my rig as It's pretty outdated at this stage so I've been doing some research and I'm pretty sure I'm going to base the build around a EVGA GTX 780 (possibly ti, as of yet undecided).

Unfortunately that's about all I'm sure about. Would welcome any suggestions of CPUs, SSDs, Cases, Anything and everything!
    The rig will be used almost entirely for gaming, not too concerned with video editing/streaming. Looking for a build that will support me for a few years, coming into things like Star Citizen & Witcher 3, etc. (not to mention stability and reliability for mythic raiding)

Budget isn't necessarily limited but would like to keep it close to €1,000 - €1,500. If an extra bit of cash would mean a significant performance boost perfectly willing to stretch the budget, I know the GPU already takes up a good portion of that.

Worth mentioning that I'm in Ireland so would be getting parts from EU. Cheers guys!
    Also running a 2,048x1,152-pixel resolution monitor at the moment with a second moniter a 1920 set up as well mostly for brower, ventrillo, etc.
    Last edited by mmoc54c3e492f8; 2014-06-23 at 02:57 PM.

Deleted
    UK prices, but this should be good for your needs:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£176.99 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£57.89 @ Ebuyer)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£93.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£66.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£74.70 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£38.40 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Black Edition Double Dissipation Video Card (£227.14 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case (£59.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£68.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £864.64
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

That's the core of the build, prices will vary in Ireland, you'll also need an OS. Alternatives include the GTX700 series gaming GPUs, but IMO the 280x will work better. I'd put in an R9-290, but I'm worried that will push you considerably over budget.

The above build is good. It just goes with the AMD card selection.

I think AMD cards are superior hardware wise. But much weaker driver and software support.

If you go AMD you got the selection above. For nivida I wouldn't be affraid of a 780. It runs everything I got in beast mode. A ti would only explode that further (my opinion a 780ti is the boss of GPUs right not minus some 1000 dollar solutions).

Both the 780 or even the 780ti would fit into your budget with the above system. I think I would only go with a 780 though. Use what money you save to put in your sock drawer.

Deleted
    Thanks ten, that looks great. I'm not too concerned about budget, would rather fork out once (aside from dishing out for SLI Titans or something crazy) than continuously update pieces every now and then, which is why I was thinking the 780 ti, then maybe SLI it once the price drops (which reminds me, would the case allow enough room for that?). Also have had good experience with Nvidia Ygg which is why I was set on that. Definitely wouldn't be opposed checking out the AMD though.

Were I to go for the 780, would any other component need changing?

Cheers again guys/

Quote Originally Posted by Docer View Post
    Were I to go for the 780, would any other component need changing?
    No, but the linked motherboard does not support SLI, going by the information provided by uk.pcpartpicker.com. If that's a consideration, you will want to look for another board.

Also worth noting that the Radeon HD R9 280X is not the AMD equivalent of the nVidia Geforce GTX 780.

Deleted
    That's cool. For SLI, I'd look at this board over the Pro4 from ASRock, which is a little more expensive.

Also, I'd definitely consdier waiting for the 6GB versions of the 780(Ti), but there's been no confirmed EU release date on them, and no price information.

Yeah make sure the motherboard supports SLI. Along with power needs from a power supply. 780ti and and a pair of them suck up a lot of power.

The thing about video cards is the price doesn't drop out the bottom to often. But I do the same thing. I tend to buy a top of the line card one generation. When the next generation comes out I double it in SLI (or when I feel my video card weakening). Then when replacement is needed guy the next top of the line and repeat the cycle.

Although I am usually happier when I have a single card solution. Things just support it better both game and driver wise.

I would think the 6gig 780ti would be close to a 1000 dollar card solution when it comes out. Doesn't hurt to see, but I am willing to guess that since *new* these days with video cards usually means 1k-ish price points (talking US prices of course, regions do vary).

Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    Also, I'd definitely consdier waiting for the 6GB versions of the 780(Ti), but there's been no confirmed EU release date on them, and no price information.
    That'd be a Titan Black.

Deleted
    Somewhat similar to Tenangrychicken's build, different touches:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£187.73 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 93.3 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£62.63 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£103.16 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£60.29 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£74.40 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£38.40 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card (£363.50 @ Ebuyer)
    Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£89.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£68.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£79.89 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £1128.98

Deleted
    Took all the advice to heart guys, helped alot so thanks!

Currently looking at this build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/skHTzy

I still have one or two questions though.
    1. Would there be much of a performance difference between the i5 core and an i7?
    2. Would it be worth getting the Corsair Hyrdo series H100i instead or the Noctua for the core with 2 fans up the top of the case?
    3. Any opinions on the aftermarket 780i's. Is the overclock/fans worth it? If so which would you suggest?

Deleted
    1. As you stated at your first post, for stricktly gaminng no. There is a "but" here and that would be personal note mostly some may have different opinion. Since you will overclock you can reach 4.4-4.6(maybe)Ghz then the i7 is no better. The deal is that, you may be unlucky with the i5 you get, and not be able to get a stable overclock past 4.1-4.2. The new i7 4790k comes with 4GHz base and turbo on all cores reaching 4.4. So in a sense you are guaranteed a 4.4GHz and then you can work for a 4.6Ghz. Wether that its worth ~100more euros its up to you. Personally i'd grab it for the reason i mentioned and budget allowing ofc.

2. If you are after a very quiet build then the H100i can be noisy. Most ppl replace the stock fans that come with for that reason. Most ppl replace them with Noctua's, i got mine with Be Quiet! ones cause i didn't like the color, but that means another 50euros(2fans) on top of H100i's cost. Dunno with the improved hasnwell refresh tim how much difference will it make. In i5 4670k i think if i was doing my build again i wouln't buy it. A high end air cooler can be almost as good with half the cost if you include the extra fans cost.

3. Generally speaking all aftermaket ones are good, msi-giga-asus-evga would be the major ones. The one you got there is the refference one, i'd say it good if you are doing 2-3way SLI cause they blow air out especially if the case is not a full atx tower. If you are not worried about SLI, personal pref would be the gigabyte one, i consider Windforce having the best cooling, it can be dead silent.

Deleted
    So going to be ordering this build soon, cheers for the help, still considering a possible i7 and a second internal SSD.

Also looking at that new Asus G-sync ROG Swift monitor which is pricy admittedly, but tempting none the less.

[PCPartPicker part list](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/skHTzy) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/skHTzy/by_merchant/)

CPU: [Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor]: £169.73 @ Overclockers.co.uk
    CPU Cooler: [Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler]: £64.98 @ Amazon UK
    Motherboard: [Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard]: £103.99 @ Aria PC
    Memory: [Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory]: £59.98 @ Amazon UK
    Storage: [Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive]: £75.54 @ Aria PC
    Storage: [Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive]: £36.50 @ Aria PC
    Video Card: [EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Superclocked Video Card]: £520.54 @ Scan.co.uk
    Case: [Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case]: £89.98 @ Amazon UK
    Power Supply: [Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply]: £79.99 @ Amazon UK
    Total: £1201.23

Cheers for the help already guys, any last minute advice?

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Here ya go. Saving ~£100. You will get the same performance, and actually will have a better cooler on the GPU at the same time.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£169.73 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 113.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£45.59 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£83.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Memory: Mushkin Stealth 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£59.99 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£75.54 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£36.50 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card (£496.47 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case (£75.98 @ Novatech)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£65.58 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Total: £1109.34
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-18 14:54 BST+0100
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver