Poll: What should have been the outcome of the trial?

Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    What makes this crazy is that the motorcyclists were in danger from the ducks anyway which they might have hit or swerved to miss and gotten themselves killed anyway.

So what the women was doing was actually helping them if they would have been following the law and not tailgating.
    What makes you think they were tailgating? lol
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    What makes this crazy is that the motorcyclists were in danger from the ducks anyway which they might have hit or swerved to miss and gotten themselves killed anyway.

So what the women was doing was actually helping them if they would have been following the law and not tailgating.
    They were not tailgating. She had parked her vehicle in the speeding lane. THE VEHICLE WAS STANDING STILL WHERE PEOPLE OFTEN DRIVE FAST.
    Her incompetence cost peoples lives.

Quote Originally Posted by teddytous View Post
    Her actions caused the death of 2 people; she should serve some jail time.
    Why? It's not going to change what happened, it's not going to prevent it from happening again, and there's no sort of rehabilitation the woman needs from her 'life of crime'. Jail time serves no purpose other than vengeance in the name of a family that doesn't want vengeance.

Deleted
    No but really guys. ARE THE DUCKS OKAY? I have to know!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omnoms View Post
    A dog can cause a bit more structural damage to a car/has more sentimental value than say, a duck. Ducks are(rarely) viewed as a family member. While I hate the entire concept of pets, that's kinda apples and oranges.

And yes, speeding is stupid regardless, but had she not stopped the speeding might not have been the issue. As has been said, she was in the LEFT lane, the speeding lane.
    and it deserves some jail time for causing the deaths for a purposeful action she took, but not life in prison considering that almost always requires criminal intent where she had none.

Deleted
    Meh, I would have done the same thing. I'm not running over some ducks just because the guy behind me is speeding up my ass. Mind you I would have put my hazards on as soon as I could react.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    and it deserves some jail time for causing the deaths for a purposeful action she took, but not life in prison considering that almost always requires criminal intent where she had none.
    It's highly doubtful she'll get life in prison. This is just an issue of our legal system not having a "stopping your car for fucking ducks" law they had to charge her with something in the books. There's a lot of laws in the US that have no equivalence here, because they've never been necessary.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    If as the article said and the ducks had no mother in sight, even if they'd have gotten off the road its highly unlikely they'd survive for long.
    Last edited by mmocd12d3b42be; 2014-06-23 at 03:40 PM.

So...I don't get this, how exactly did those two die? did they decide to look behind them while approaching her car? were they riding her ass so they had little to no time to brake? no information on it whatsoever. Yes, driving ~70-80 is fast, but not fast enough where you can't see cars ON A HIGHWAY!

10+ Year Old Account
    People can come up with the dumbest reasons to go to jail these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Canada, although since its Montreal we can consider it stupid right?
    Could be Montreal or Ottawa or anywhere else in Canada. Pointless

But for the case she will not go the prison. She don't deserve it. Yeah she did something stupid and unsafe to save those ducks but it was an accident. She didn't mean killing those 2 peoples.

Maybe a lots of hours in the community and no driver license for a while ?
    \m/(-_-)\m/

I'm alone again and old pine tree
    Asked me, where's your woman?
    I said: Shut up or I make of you another Firewood

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    She is at MOST facing life in prison, most likely not. It's merely stating the worst case scenario + OP sensationalizing his thread title.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayro1 View Post
    So...I don't get this, how exactly did those two die? did they decide to look behind them while approaching her car? were they riding her ass so they had little to no time to brake? no information on it whatsoever.
    They were going 10-20 over the limit in the speeding lane, and apparently that contributed to the deaths; As the wife behind him following the speed limit was able to brake and not get involved in the accident.

So it's partly the speeders fault, but largely the convicted faults; If she hadn't of parked in the speeding lane without her hazards on this wouldn't of occurred.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    They were not just okay, but delicious.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omnoms View Post
    She is at MOST facing life in prison, most likely not. It's merely stating the worst case scenario + OP sensationalizing his thread title.
    Never underestimate human stupidity!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes she should be prosecuted for stopping where she was on the highway. Since it's a bloody dangerous fool thing to do. There was no malice and obviously no criminal intent behind her actions to warrant such a long prison term. Some jail time is necessary yes (for causing death by dangerous driving), but as much as would be handed down to murderers and the like? Certainly not.

I'm guessing it's the criminal negligence part that had to be decided on. Since she she had effectively abandoned her car in the fast lane on a highway in a spot where the car couldn't be seen for others to take avoiding action. Saving the ducklings doesn't really come into it I'm afraid, since it is such a stupidly dangerous thing to do puttign others at risk. Its a bit iffy since that would put what might have been a one time thing in the same class as say a business owner who continually neglects health and safety for his workers, and I hope the judge will be a bit lenient here.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayro1 View Post
    So...I don't get this, how exactly did those two die? did they decide to look behind them while approaching her car? were they riding her ass so they had little to no time to brake? no information on it whatsoever. Yes, driving ~70-80 is fast, but not fast enough where you can't see cars ON A HIGHWAY!
    In Denmark you must, by law, have lights on at all times while driving a vehicle so that people can see that the vehicle is on.

Looks can be decieving when travelling at 70-80 MILES PER HOUR, not kilometers per hour. 70-80 is like 105-120 km/h. That is faster than most people can react to when it comes to a stationary vehicle.

Listen, no one likes running over animals but ts fairly common sense that you don't stop in highways unless absolutely necessary. What she did was extremely negligent as someone operating a motor vehicle.

Does she deserve life in prison? No way. But I do think her driver's license should be permanently revoked.

Similar thing happened in Finland recently, but it didn't happen on the highway and was mostly caused by inadequate safety distances by the drivers. I don't see why would you ever want to stop for sake of some small animals. I can understand wanting to protect animals, but not if it causes danger to actual humans. Life in prisons seems rather excessive, but some sort of punishment for this might be appropriate.

Article (poor google translation): https://translate.google.com/transla...tml&edit-text=

Deleted
    If she had time to react to tiny ducks ahead of her you think the motorcyclist would have had time to react to the much bigger car stopping ahead of him. Speed + Lack of attention.