Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Regardless of what most people say about WoW or other MMO's I think it comes down to times have changed and people don't want long grinds anymore, most of us who grew up with it are in our 20's/30's etc. we all work full-time or go to school for the most part. For me I liked Wildstar, I hit 50 played for a bit only to come to a realization it's not Wildstar it's that I'm burnt out on MMO's. I stopped playing wow and now Wildstar, I don't intend to come back to either.

Mainly now I crave a game that has solid gameplay and is very skill oriented, take Smite for example and how it has a very high skill cap or LoL in higher ratings. I crave and play games where I can hop in and play on an even field and it comes down to strats/skill for the victory. No more "oh I need to grind gear and invest X time in", I want to get straight to competitive gameplay, not some filler shit. I play singleplayer games and MOBA's/Minecraft plus some FPS's like BF4 atm. I'll hop on my PS4/PS3 for some games like JRPG's. But I think it's time to retire the whole MMO genre for me atleast and I think many others feel the same, I mean MMO's don't sell like other games from different genre's and are still a small market in comparison.

All's I know is Halo 2 is back this fall and it's going to be fucking awesome.
    A lot of truth in that post.

The world changed and internet gaming changed both in platforms (100 million iPads sold) as in TIME that people want to devote to on line gaming (fast satisfaction, short sessions, "awesome" graphics not possible in MMO's due to the masses of information of hundreds of players in one place etc ...).

However this is a natural cycle. All I know is that WoW was an awesome long term experience for dozens of millions during a time in their lives.

So much so that all those who left ... STILL come back to forums and discuss the game with a rarely seen passion.

I also think that the new non MMO games lack things you can still find in WoW. Like free to discover sandboxy elements and go for extreme rare and hard achievements, progression that never ends, ...

It is also foolish to look at your own life cycle and experience it as something universal. There are trends but even now there are new people (young or old) that just start to discover WoW.

The sad fact is that the copycats didn't bring enough innovation in the MMO industry in their ever failed trial to copy WoW and get to those millions of WoW subscriptions, which made for VERY stale copycats.

But do not underestimate the return of MMO play in the future. Perhaps Destiny is already a good mix of shooter/long term play as another kind of on line experience with eternal progression.

tldr: WoW was/is a once in a life time experience for too many of us. I played video games for the past 35 years and looking back WoW has a very unique standing in the hundreds of games I played. I am quite sure I am far from the only one.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-06-25 at 07:57 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Actually "WOW killing itself" is only valid from a personal experience. So the statement is - as usual - used by the hate boys to talk general crap.

If we look at the history of these past 8 years of "new" MMO's though is that with each new MMO launched, the hype for the new WOW expansion grew in general.

Lotro back in 2007 was responsible for a HUGE upward WoW trend in the winter of 2007, without even a new expansion in sight...

The same goes for the AOC/WAR launches in 2008 (but with WOTLK launching at the end of that year).
    Historical rubbish.

On September 7 2007 Burning Crusade was launched in WoWs greatest market China. Everyone active during the launch of the expansion would be treated as subscriber for the fourth quarter starting the month afterwards and these winter numbers due to the 30 day grace time before they are considered inactive.

No data says that population increased significantly (you keep saying 1% is nothing when it is a loss) while or after AoC was launched in May. It is also untrue for Warhammer's launch in September up until WotLK was in sight.
    WotLK was launched in November. Echoes of Doom was launched in October. The surge subscriptions started anywhere between July and September when they jumped by 400.000. Thats is very much in your face in sight.
    WoW expansions have test server and the earlier 2.0.x and 3.0.x updates so 'beta access' falls flat as an argument.

Typical fan boy crap talk. You are more damage to WoWs reputation than you believe lying could help.
    Last edited by mmoc36f28662f1; 2014-06-25 at 09:11 AM.

Deleted
    New MMOs are only ever used as fillers when WoW hasn't had content patches in a while. Not only that, but all MMOs are always compared to WoW, and you realise how great WoW actually is compared to the rest. There's always the exception with some players, but generally speaking it's true.

A lot of you are under the impression that people quit WoW, go to another mmo then come back. You're sadly mistaken. Look at the subscription numbers. They're not coming back. They're either quitting the genre or quitting video games altogether.

I thought Wildstar had a lot of cool ideas, the devs were on the right track with the endgame, everything looked great before I played it. All of that's cool and all but it bored me to death. Grinding War of The Wilds 30 times and not getting 3 of the weapons our group needed sure was fun. The leveling was dull, and the "humor" got old after about 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    A lot of truth in that post.

The world changed and internet gaming changed both in platforms (100 million iPads sold) as in TIME that people want to devote to on line gaming (fast satisfaction, short sessions, "awesome" graphics not possible in MMO's due to the masses of information of hundreds of players in one place etc ...).

However this is a natural cycle. All I know is that WoW was an awesome long term experience for dozens of millions during a time in their lives.

So much so that all those who left ... STILL come back to forums and discuss the game with a rarely seen passion.

I also think that the new non MMO games lack things you can still find in WoW. Like free to discover sandboxy elements and go for extreme rare and hard achievements, progression that never ends, ...

It is also foolish to look at your own life cycle and experience it as something universal. There are trends but even now there are new people (young or old) that just start to discover WoW.

The sad fact is that the copycats didn't bring enough innovation in the MMO industry in their ever failed trial to copy WoW and get to those millions of WoW subscriptions, which made for VERY stale copycats.

But do not underestimate the return of MMO play in the future. Perhaps Destiny is already a good mix of shooter/long term play as another kind of on line experience with eternal progression.

tldr: WoW was/is a once in a life time experience for too many of us. I played video games for the past 35 years and looking back WoW has a very unique standing in the hundreds of games I played. I am quite sure I am far from the only one.
    I do agree, to me Wildstar stood out the most and I hope it does well, but MMO's for me are mainly a thing of the past and hopefully Destiny brings in new life to MMO's with how its whole system works. I watched streams of it and it looks pretty good and has a jump in and play style that I like, I've always liked Bungie's games aka Halo even though Reach sucked for the series it's still a lot better then most put out there. I'll be back in WoW come WoD for a couple of months and maybe more if the PVP changes play out well.

I havent played WoW in over a year. I wish I Could see something new that would pull me back to it. I miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgeous Sushi View Post
    New MMOs are only ever used as fillers when WoW hasn't had content patches in a while. Not only that, but all MMOs are always compared to WoW, and you realise how great WoW actually is compared to the rest. There's always the exception with some players, but generally speaking it's true.
    I play wow in a high ranked raiding guild and that is literally the only reason I stopped playing one of these other MMO's to go back to wow. The fact that there is such a large and established raiding community where I can find such a guild like the one I'm in easily and know that they're not just talking big. This was not an option on said other game, because the community just wasn't there so a mediocre guild could be touting like they're the best guild in the world and there's no way to prove otherwise.

Once these alternative games get through their launches and their awkward settling in they end up being very good games that do some things better and some things worse than wow. The only real huge difference is that wow already has all the players and these other games don't.

Being objective the only thing wow brings to the table besides bulk players is endgame raiding. They design awesome raids, really mediocre leveling experience, and unbalanced pvp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgeous Sushi View Post
    I don't think many will disagree that wow had its hooks on a lot of people when the game came out but a huge part of me knows there is always more potential for other MMO's than WoW. Guild Wars 2 is hands down probably the best MMO for me at the moment because it accomplished a lot with the idea of skill and just playing with 4 friends. Very awesome when you got 4 other friends and you kill Lupicus in less than 2 minutes. It isn't the most addicting compared to wow but I seriously think nostalgia plays an evil for most of us, whereas we want to go back to those days of love and fun for wow but those days are gone.

Exact same thing happened to me. I've been beyond hyped for Wildstar since early development, got my pre-order, did my beta testing. Got to around level 20 and just had to re-sub. Too many feels, I honestly am at the point where I don't think any MMO is going to replace WoW for me. Not anything to do with one game being better than the other, simply WoW has just been such a big part of my gaming life.

Kaeja - Stormrage
    // Thanks to maybenotquiteasheavy for the Signature & Avatar! //

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Regardless of what most people say about WoW or other MMO's I think it comes down to times have changed and people don't want long grinds anymore, most of us who grew up with it are in our 20's/30's etc. we all work full-time or go to school for the most part. For me I liked Wildstar, I hit 50 played for a bit only to come to a realization it's not Wildstar it's that I'm burnt out on MMO's. I stopped playing wow and now Wildstar, I don't intend to come back to either.

Mainly now I crave a game that has solid gameplay and is very skill oriented, take Smite for example and how it has a very high skill cap or LoL in higher ratings. I crave and play games where I can hop in and play on an even field and it comes down to strats/skill for the victory. No more "oh I need to grind gear and invest X time in", I want to get straight to competitive gameplay, not some filler shit. I play singleplayer games and MOBA's/Minecraft plus some FPS's like BF4 atm. I'll hop on my PS4/PS3 for some games like JRPG's. But I think it's time to retire the whole MMO genre for me atleast and I think many others feel the same, I mean MMO's don't sell like other games from different genre's and are still a small market in comparison.

All's I know is Halo 2 is back this fall and it's going to be fucking awesome.
    PREACH!

Haha seriously though I've felt the same way for a few years now. I want a game that relies on good gameplay to keep people coming back and not ones that put you in an indefinite Skinner box of filling bars. I didn't PvP all expansion, but I was bored with the content drought. Can I just jump in and have fun? Nope. First I need to spend 20hrs getting gear so I don't get dominated. When you play 1-2hrs a week, you can see how this becomes a problem.

Deleted
    On a side note i think that Wildstar is a real bad game, except it's combat system. Leveling is way too annoying, as most of the questing content is "kill a lot of a" and "collect a lot of b". And endgame? Limited to a playstyle i left in late tbc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerion View Post
    Once again, Cataclysm completely revamped old zones. What do you want? Revamp them AGAIN? Expansions add more content to the END of the game not the beginning. How many games even do that?

The only issue with Blizzard is that they're known for being slow as hell with game development. They've added tons of features to benefit players. You're acting as if everyone is being nickle and dimed for optional shit they throw on the store like mounts or services. Features like phasing, LFD, LFR, x-realm stuff... they're all there to consolidate the playerbase to be able to play with each other and enhance gameplay. And you know what? I'm glad their employees are being treated well. Do you think overworked and underpaid employees put out quality stuff? No, they don't. Also, of course they design the game according to their game designers rather than the players. Do you even realize how idiotic some of the suggestions the playerbase makes?

And what the hell? Blizzard keeps them loyal with the chance to be an employee? Who even says that? Did they tell these people that "Heyyyy... if you keep that up we MIGHT give you a job!" Because I'm thinking that you're just delusional. That's like saying Apple is keeping me loyal if I run an Apple fansite because they somehow might be offering me a job without telling me.

As for the alpha tester bit. Do you even know what alpha testing is? They're just letting people test the alpha if they so choose and make suggestions. It's not like they replaced the regular game with alpha only and are forcing people to test.
    This. I tip my hat to you good sir.

Yeah i know how you feel. I tried Tera alittle, and thats quite far away from wow's gaming model, but i kinda had fun in that tbh xD
    Could 1vX pvp... Saw my slayer buddy kill 6 guys alone, same or higher lvl. Just by dodgeing abilties and what not, that was actually great fun!.
    Kinda grow bored of it after lvl 40... Saw my friend being lvl 60 and just looked like it was WoW TBC x10 in regards to farming.

No mmo really compares to WoW, not even after 10 years :S
    Even though imho that wow has become more boring during cata-mop (IMHO) not flame/Whine.... just a personal opinion.
    Looking forward to WoD.

Deleted
    Haven't played WoW in months because I switched to GW2. Had tons of fun leveling and doing world events and bosses. It seems there's always something new to do. I cancelled my sub to WoW because I was tired of hitting my head against SoO HC and didn't feel like grinding reps or whatever. I do miss it sometimes. I would love to take a ride around Storm Peaks or Icecrown, I'll have to console myself with the OST.

As for Wildstar, I've been told it's a rather good game, but I haven't played it myself so I'm not sure if it's just hype or what.

Ow yeah and wow dev's is truely morons... I mean most of wow's playerbase PVE yeah?... They have all been forced to raid the same freaking content for a whole year!?!.
    Thats insane, thats really really insane... So weird they didnt add alittle raid, i mean even in end of wotlk we had that 1 boss in obsidian sanctum...

Personally i feel blizzard is just pumping out titles to fill voids for some time until they release their next big title. Their next WoW so to speak.
    D3 --> may 2012 --> MoP September 2012 --> Reapers of souls March 2014 --> WoD fall - end year 2014.
    Thats without considering hearthstone and heroes of the storm.

Just feels they are pushing out less then thought through games/content between their big "titles" to give the people something to do rather then adding prober content in MoP...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnkie View Post
    Ow yeah and wow dev's is truely morons... I mean most of wow's playerbase PVE yeah?... They have all been forced to raid the same freaking content for a whole year!?!.
    Thats insane, thats really really insane... So weird they didnt add alittle raid, i mean even in end of wotlk we had that 1 boss in obsidian sanctum...

Personally i feel blizzard is just pumping out titles to fill voids for some time until they release their next big title. Their next WoW so to speak.
    D3 --> may 2012 --> MoP September 2012 --> Reapers of souls March 2014 --> WoD fall - end year 2014.

Just feels they are pushing out less then thought through games/content between their big "titles" to give the people something to do rather then adding prober content in MoP...
    Seriously dude, how can you not trust Blizzard. Blizzards business model reminds me of an old cookie recipe my grandma used to bake for us when we're kids.

She'd say...

Take 7 teaspoons of hugs.
    Stir is 2 cups of love.
    A pinch of joy.
    Sprinkle in a handful of happiness.
    Put in the oven for 30 mins (don't leave them in for too long!)

Then she'd gather us all in her big kitchen and say "here's your cool milk my little dear's, now who wants a cookie to go with their drink?"
    We'd all be jumping up saying "me! me! me!" she'd say Okay "Now its 3 for £1 or you can take 10 for £2.50, that's quite a deal"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnkie View Post

If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it right? Other companies release version 1,2,3,4,5 while Blizzard does content patches for free limiting it to say version 1,2 and 3. EA is the king of regurgitated titles and people love them.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm only level 16 and about ready to call it quits. Wildstar is fun. But it doesn't have the same draw that other MMO's have and I can't quite nail it down. Even Rift had more draw at the start then Wildstar has had for me.

Maybe it's all the bugs and yes the game is chock full of bugs at every turn. Maybe it's the teleport/speed hackers that could have easily been curbed with tech before launch. The active combat system is interesting but after a while when you just want to autoattack for a few minutes it loses it's appeal. Not having a dungeon available until 20 really pissed me off as well.

WoW's combat system is just fluid and always has been so I think that spoils us when other games shoot for graphics and the variety of things to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    That really rustles my jimmies.

Same, I'm just gonna try to erase the memory of reading it.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by Constraint View Post
    Wildstar made me homesick too.

But homesick for what WoW USED to be, not what it is. I have astonishingly strong "cravings" for the WoW I used to know and love, with elite areas in leveling zones, with talent trees, with 1 challenging raid difficulty, with varied classes, without an obscene obsession for "perfect balance" among every class of an archetype.

That WoW just doesn't exist anymore, for me at least. All we have is numerous difficulties watering down the excitement of defeating a dangerous boss, 6 talent "choices", questing zones with one "path" through them with zero room for innovation, PvP which is a clusterfuck of spammable cc/snares/stuns and classes which all play astonishingly similarly. It really is a mere shell of its former self, despite all the additions and so-called "improvements".

That's my 10c, anyway. I often feel that "pull" as you describe it - but that WoW no longer exists.

This is literally exactly how I feel.
    "Grammar is important. Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse & helping your uncle jack off a horse."