need a replacement for tidy plates

Ok I have to stop using tidy plates for dome reason it's using 17 mb I can't seem to figure out why, I need a name plate add-on really just to show when targets are 20% health or less really and to show dots
    Nixs

Quote Originally Posted by Simple057 View Post
    Ok I have to stop using tidy plates for dome reason it's using 17 mb I can't seem to figure out why, I need a name plate add-on really just to show when targets are 20% health or less really and to show dots
    Aloft was always my favourite. Lots of configurable bits and very neat looking.

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/aloft

"It is a fully self-contained addon, however it can take advantage of the following addons if they are installed:
    1. MobHealth3 - Health text of mobs can be displayed right on the nameplate. Make sure you have r32001 of MobHealth3 or later

The customization options in Aloft allow you to change the size, shape, anchors, font, font options, textures and colors of:
    1. Name text
    2. Level Text
    3. Health Bar
    4. Cast Bar
    5. Spell Icon
    6. Boss Icon
    7. Raid Icon
    8. Mouseover Highlight

Aloft also enhances the display by providing options for: 1. Health text - you can display health percentage, health, or health deficit right on the nameplate
    2. Spell name - Aloft will place the spell name right on the casting bar
    3. Spell casting timer - Displays the remaining casting time
    4. Combo points text - Displayed on target's nameplates for rogues and druids
    5. Recently Damaged icon - Displays an icon next to any unit that has recently taken damage
    6. Finer visibility control - A collection of options that give you specific control over which nameplates are shown - eg. You can hide friendly pets, out of guild players, and lots more
    7. Guild Text - Show guild information right on the nameplate. Shows abbreviated forms by default.
    8. Border and backdrop color
    9. Comments - Show "Banker", "Flight Master" and other automatically gathered comments, or your own custom ones right on the nameplate
    10. Mana Bar/Text - show group member mana, energy, rage
    11. Combat Text - display all damage and healing done to group members or targets right on the plate.
    12. Pets Owner's Names
    13. Polymorph Timer bar
    14. Undead shackle Timer bar
    15. Unit Aliases"

If you are judging an addon simply by its memory usage, then I don't think we can offer any constructive advice.
    People obsessing over the number way too much when the wow client is often using 1-2gb or more.
    Context is important.
    Some addons have good reason to use a lot, some do not.
    Simply saying x is bad because of some arbitrary number isn't helping.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Aloft was always my favourite. Lots of configurable bits and very neat looking.

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/aloft

"It is a fully self-contained addon, however it can take advantage of the following addons if they are installed:
    1. MobHealth3 - Health text of mobs can be displayed right on the nameplate. Make sure you have r32001 of MobHealth3 or later

The customization options in Aloft allow you to change the size, shape, anchors, font, font options, textures and colors of:
    1. Name text
    2. Level Text
    3. Health Bar
    4. Cast Bar
    5. Spell Icon
    6. Boss Icon
    7. Raid Icon
    8. Mouseover Highlight

Aloft also enhances the display by providing options for: 1. Health text - you can display health percentage, health, or health deficit right on the nameplate
    2. Spell name - Aloft will place the spell name right on the casting bar
    3. Spell casting timer - Displays the remaining casting time
    4. Combo points text - Displayed on target's nameplates for rogues and druids
    5. Recently Damaged icon - Displays an icon next to any unit that has recently taken damage
    6. Finer visibility control - A collection of options that give you specific control over which nameplates are shown - eg. You can hide friendly pets, out of guild players, and lots more
    7. Guild Text - Show guild information right on the nameplate. Shows abbreviated forms by default.
    8. Border and backdrop color
    9. Comments - Show "Banker", "Flight Master" and other automatically gathered comments, or your own custom ones right on the nameplate
    10. Mana Bar/Text - show group member mana, energy, rage
    11. Combat Text - display all damage and healing done to group members or targets right on the plate.
    12. Pets Owner's Names
    13. Polymorph Timer bar
    14. Undead shackle Timer bar
    15. Unit Aliases"
    I think Aloft uses even more memory than tidyplates... At least, I've always found it a little harder on my system.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    If you are judging an addon simply by its memory usage, then I don't think we can offer any constructive advice.
    People obsessing over the number way too much when the wow client is often using 1-2gb or more.
    Context is important.
    Some addons have good reason to use a lot, some do not.
    Simply saying x is bad because of some arbitrary number isn't helping.
    Exactly, this may have been an issue 10 years ago, now it's a drop in an ocean of RAM.

I'm not judging an add-on or calling it bad I have been using tidy plates for years now I don't know what happened to it and I can't seem to fix it it never used that much before
    Nixs

I'm not judging an add-on or calling it bad I have been using tidy plates for years now I don't know what happened to it and I can't seem to fix it it never used that much before
    The only "problem" you named was "it uses 17MB of memory", which is absolutely not a problem, and requires no fixing. So, what is the *problem* that you have with Tidy Plates that needs solving?

Deleted
    Ok, but what exactly is the problem you're experiencing? Are you just annoyed that you saw a bigger number then usual?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEK5vyhVCCs
    Unless you have a really old PC then it doesn't even affect your in game performance to the degree you are assuming.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropson View Post
    Ok, but what exactly is the problem you're experiencing? Are you just annoyed that you saw a bigger number then usual?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEK5vyhVCCs
    Unless you have a really old PC then it doesn't even affect your in game performance to the degree you are assuming.
    Thank you so much for linking that.
    Now I have something I can link every time this question keeps coming up.
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

First off, greetings to you all.

Tidyplates along with most other nameplate modifier addons do a macro-transaction on the update of the WorldFrame or an internal frame, literally iterating over a table of tables every cycle of the display. Infinity Plates does this process 5 times to decorate all frames including those not shown, the benchmark was around 10% CPU and 80% RAM without any frames shown. Anyway, there are a few addons that use a micro-transaction method that uses the nameplates OnUpdate/OnShow/OnHide methods to meet the same purpose.
    The only difference in methods is that computers with low-end, in comparison to the latest and greatest, hardware will be met with video lag using the macro-transaction method. So in the end I wrote my own using the appearance of that addon I mentioned earlier blended with what I had learned.

Nameplates Modifier Fan Update on WoWInterface
    KuiNameplates on WoWI or Curse; plus it shows DoTs

Quote Originally Posted by ThePrideless View Post
    First off, greetings to you all.

Tidyplates along with most other nameplate modifier addons do a macro-transaction on the update of the WorldFrame or an internal frame, literally iterating over a table of tables every cycle of the display. Infinity Plates does this process 5 times to decorate all frames including those not shown, the benchmark was around 10% CPU and 80% RAM without any frames shown. Anyway, there are a few addons that use a micro-transaction method that uses the nameplates OnUpdate/OnShow/OnHide methods to meet the same purpose.
    The only difference in methods is that computers with low-end, in comparison to the latest and greatest, hardware will be met with video lag using the macro-transaction method. So in the end I wrote my own using the appearance of that addon I mentioned earlier blended with what I had learned.

Nameplates Modifier Fan Update on WoWInterface
    KuiNameplates on WoWI or Curse; plus it shows DoTs
    I would perhaps be using KuiNameplates were it not for one feature that it doesn't have but TidyPlates does.
    Colouring or otherwise visually enhancing nameplates which are at or under a certain health threshold.
    I find that useful for identifying nearby eligible targets for execute type abilities.

Why does it matter that it is showing as 17mb usage?
    Unless your computer is 15 years old, it won't make a single bit of difference.

Every nameplates addon with dots showing using alot of ram.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleaa View Post
    Every nameplates addon with dots showing using alot of ram.
    17MB is *NOT* a lot of RAM. It is a miniscule, piddling amount. The Blizzard UI components use ~ 100MB out of the box, before demand-loading a bunch of them. The client uses ~ 1GB, or about 60 times more, memory for textures and so forth.

So, i know what is the problem, so solve close your wow client and go to:
    WoW Install Folder\WTF\Account\<your account>\SavedVariables\
    Delete the file "TidyPlatesWidgets.lua", don't worry none of your config will be erased, its just a cache file.

This 17mb is actually being write to the disk when the character logoff, so it slow down a little bit the logoff or quit game process.
    I think this is the reason why the OP is complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Tercio View Post
    So, i know what is the problem, so solve close your wow client and go to:
    WoW Install Folder\WTF\Account\<your account>\SavedVariables\
    Delete the file "TidyPlatesWidgets.lua", don't worry none of your config will be erased, its just a cache file.

This 17mb is actually being write to the disk when the character logoff, so it slow down a little bit the logoff or quit game process.
    I think this is the reason why the OP is complaining.

and its just going to be recreated.

addon memory usage is really virtually a non issue unless your capping your system ram in general. addon cpu usage is where problems occure. and thats usually tied to bad code.

Quote Originally Posted by SlippyCheeze View Post
    17MB is *NOT* a lot of RAM. It is a miniscule, piddling amount. The Blizzard UI components use ~ 100MB out of the box, before demand-loading a bunch of them. The client uses ~ 1GB, or about 60 times more, memory for textures and so forth.
    figuratively. after a couple of minutes lua remove all garbage from memory.
    Last edited by Aleaa; 2014-06-25 at 09:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    *writes an addon that takes 2 GB of memory*
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Quote Originally Posted by shanthi View Post
    *writes an addon that takes 2 GB of memory*
    S'ok. I have 30 more.

10+ Year Old Account
    i've just downloaded this and I like it!