Thread: Classic MMOs

10+ Year Old Account

Classic MMOs

I'm looking for a couple of classic mmos to play while I'm recovering from surgery, any suggestions?

Everquest, Anarchy Online and Ultima Online.

All three are up and running still. And they are all excellent, exemplary of the genre in it's purest form.

SWG EMU if you fancy a grind.

Ultima Online, though I highly recommend you find unofficial servers (which I will not list here. This is for you to find on your own, since the game is still up for sale and subscription) for it if you want to enjoy the game in it's former glory. The official version has...degraded in quality severely.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

I tried EQ1 but i kept getting a popup reappearing every hr. it killed the game for me. something like upgrade to silver! to remove this annoying message!

tried ultima, couldn't seem to figure out how to do anything other than walk around. I would of liked to get into it, i might have to try it again at some point and maybe actually try and find the hot keys or a guide of some sort.

anarchy online is a strange game, very large, quite complex stat system, massive grind, lots of empty nothingness, not much in the way of a noticable progression path. the only thing i could figure out was the automission maker, which just generates missions at your level, do those over and over for a couple of years.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2014-06-24 at 05:30 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    While LotRO came out in the age of WoW, there's almost nothing that resembles a modern MMO (in a good way). If you are looking for something that has an older aesthetic, a lot of content ahead of you, and generally one of the more in depth and beautiful MMOs then you should give it a try. It captures the 'classic' MMO feel while still providing an updated game. Very traditional in class design, progression design, and questing. It is a far better game than it is given credit for.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    While LotRO came out in the age of WoW, there's almost nothing that resembles a modern MMO (in a good way). If you are looking for something that has an older aesthetic, a lot of content ahead of you, and generally one of the more in depth and beautiful MMOs then you should give it a try. It captures the 'classic' MMO feel while still providing an updated game. Very traditional in class design, progression design, and questing. It is a far better game than it is given credit for.
    Couldn't agree more.

The landscapes are still, to this day, some of the most beautiful vistas in any game. The wardrobe, dye, inventory, and bank system are incredible, especially if you're into roleplaying.

Landroval (the server) has the best server community of any MMO I've played. There are always fun events, music being played outside the Pony, and a general feel of helpfulness.

So while the characters models may be dated, the rest of the game (in my opinion) makes up for it.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

World of Warcraft? After 10 years it certainly belongs among the classics.

Quote Originally Posted by eriktheviking View Post
    The landscapes are still, to this day, some of the most beautiful vistas in any game. The wardrobe, dye, inventory, and bank system are incredible, especially if you're into roleplaying.
    I dream of a day when all MMOs have a wardrobe system like LoTRO's...

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eriktheviking View Post
    Couldn't agree more.

Landroval (the server) has the best server community of any MMO I've played. There are always fun events, music being played outside the Pony, and a general feel of helpfulness.

So while the characters models may be dated, the rest of the game (in my opinion) makes up for it.
    Yeah man...this is all very true, even the Landroval thing. Their events are still running and fun. I recently spent a rather good amount of money buying points for their shop when a special was going on just because I know it will last me years and I like trying to support a good thing. That is the MMO I return to in order to cleanse my palate. I don't even give it enough credit because I've never played it seriously...but it deserves it. Probably the most underrated MMO I've ever played. Rift was a close second, but for totally different reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    I dream of a day when all MMOs have a wardrobe system like LoTRO's...
    Rift's is pretty good, but LotRO even has the shared cosmetic bank...that's like...the cherry on top of such an awesome system.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    World of Warcraft? After 10 years it certainly belongs among the classics.
    Vanilla WoW, sure. Current WoW has changed and been updated too much to be considered a classic.

OT: Classic Runescape.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, will try most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    Asheron's Call
    Good to see at least one person mentioned it. Players in AC loooove new players too. They'll bring you into their guild and start leveling you, they'll give you everything you need to get started plus anything you'll need later on, and help you with really anything you ever need help with. The people are so much more social and nicer. I logged in sometime last year for a couple days and the first thing I did was ask my guild what people do in the game now, and within 5 minutes of logging in I had 2-3 strangers helping me get flagged so I could do the stuff.

I don't know how nooby friendly the game is though. It was my first mmo and it's always been the most different mmo I've played. I know they've done things to make the leveling better for lowbies though. Most people these days wouldn't even be able to tolerate the controls in combat since everything is done with the keyboard, but there weren't a lot of mmos that had mouse turning back then.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2014-06-24 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    That is the MMO I return to in order to cleanse my palate.
    Same here. There's just something about getting lost in Middle-earth for a while. The music, ambiance, and scenery make it so easy to immerse yourself. Even as F2P, the amount of content you get is staggering, and I've never felt an ounce of regret buying points and/or quest packs. Even if I put the game down for 3-6 months, when I pick it back up, everything is there and waiting for me.

The Shire...

http://www.f2p.com/wp-content/upload...bbits-fp15.jpg

<3
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

Deleted
    Tried Guild Wars? (the original, not the new one).
    Can get a two week trial from their site.

Ultima Online is a sandbox game. There isn't much in the way of hotkeys for it unless they made major changes since I played back in the day. Basically, working on skills raises your proficiency at them. IE: Chopping at trees for wood with a woodcutting axe will raise your lumberjacking skill. Mining raises mining, etc. Also, certainly actions will raise the associated stat for them. IE: Mining raises STR. Casting spells requires reagents and the requisite level of INT and Magic skill to cast them without fizzling.

Wearing heavier armors gives you a penalty to INT and DEX to prevent casters from walking around in full platemail, and to incentivize archers to wear lighter armor as well.

If you want to play really oldschool EQ1, Google something called EQ1999.

You could also find a server running classic Ragnarok Online is another oldschool button-masher MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizuo Heiwajima View Post
    I'm looking for a couple of classic mmos to play while I'm recovering from surgery, any suggestions?
    Does Runescape count?
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

What is classic to you? asherions call? dark age of camolot? old school runescape? everquest?