Deleted

Should I buy World of Warcraft?

First of all I would like to say I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this; if not, I'm very sorry.

Greetings,

When I was younger I used to play World of Warcraft on private servers and I really really enjoyed it. With the upcoming release of Warlords of Draenor I am thinking about getting the retail game. Since I'm a college student I do not have that much time to spend on gaming on a daily basis. My question to the community is: should I buy World of Warcraft when I got only a few hours per week to play? I mean I love the game, but will I be able to do some raids/dungeons if you only have little time? The thing I worry about is I can't do anything in-game because I have little time (not that there's anything wrong with just questing/exploring, but I'd like to do a dungeon/raid once in a while).

I hope you guys and girls can help me out on this one! And again, I'm terribly sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.

Regards,

SuperPants

I'd pay attention to college. When your off then you can delve into it better.

To answer your question, yes I believe that you will be able to do content even with a few hours per week. The game has changed considerably over the years and is more accessible than ever right now. Dungeons are a safe bet and you should be able to do a LFR raid once in a while (easiest version of a raid with automatic grouping). There's also more than questing and exploring for solo content, notably the new pet battles system. I'd say try it out and see if you feel like it's worth it.

I hesitate to comment on the whole "WoW while studying" part because people's mileage vary a lot. I personally played WoW throughout my university degrees and I don't feel like it had a negative impact on my performance. Keep in mind that nobody ever said you had to be constantly subscribed. You could very well sub for a month or two, drop it during exam period or whatever, and resub afterwards. That's what I did most of the time and it didn't stop me from having fun, not to mention that the content wasn't nearly as accessible back then than it is now.

Deleted
    Thanks for the quick responses!

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMuffin View Post
    You could very well sub for a month or two, drop it during exam period or whatever, and resub afterwards. That's what I did most of the time and it didn't stop me from having fun, not to mention that the content wasn't nearly as accessible back then than it is now.
    I've heard about this account 'freezing'; can I also 'freeze' my subscription while it's still ongoing? For example, if I get a 180 day subscription, can I freeze it after 60 days and continue later on? Or does this only work after the subscription period expires?

Deleted
    U cant freeze it when its running (not that i am aware off)

If you can manage your time and priorities, then yes, you could go for it. It's just important that you don't get too lost in the game rather than in your actual studies, I have seen that happening to far too many people.

I myself am studying, have two jobs and two very time consuming hobbies and I only get to play very few hours each week. However, I think it's very doable. Currently my focus isn't on raiding/dungeons but I think if I wanted to, it would be quite easily possible. Maybe not in a dedicated hardcore raiding guild, but if you really want to, you'll see most of the content.

Deleted
    no, the game does not worth its money anymore...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperPants View Post
    Thanks for the quick responses!

I've heard about this account 'freezing'; can I also 'freeze' my subscription while it's still ongoing? For example, if I get a 180 day subscription, can I freeze it after 60 days and continue later on? Or does this only work after the subscription period expires?
    No, unfortunately you can't.

Dungeons do not take significant amounts of time, say half an hour to 45 minutes at the beginning of an expansion, 10 minutes at the end. LFR raids vary a lot, depending on whether you have a good group and smooth sailing or undergeared players/leavers. They will take between 35-45 minutes and forever. Remember that World of Warcraft contains an incredible amount of content, however, if you are starting fresh. Even without endgame you won't run out of things to pursue for a long while.

The game is %50 off now, you can get hundreds of hours of entertainment for 25$. I'd say yes, but that's only if you want to ruin your life.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    No, unfortunately you can't.

Dungeons do not take significant amounts of time, say half an hour to 45 minutes at the beginning of an expansion, 10 minutes at the end. LFR raids vary a lot, depending on whether you have a good group and smooth sailing or undergeared players/leavers. They will take between 35-45 minutes and forever. Remember that World of Warcraft contains an incredible amount of content, however, if you are starting fresh. Even without endgame you won't run out of things to pursue for a long while.
    also with flex raids becoming normal raids and the updated raid/group finder it should be much easier to get a group and since a raid is divided into multiple parts you could spread the parts out over the course of a week 3/4 bosses at a time

If you're in school, nope. Will ruin your life and you won't get anything done.

Otherwise? Yes. Worth every penny. So many hours of entertainment to be had =)

Depends on what you're OK with and how much time is "a few hours".

If you're ok with mostly just derping around and doing LFR and maybe the occasional flex then yes the games set up to accommodate you and you will see the raid content. If you want to do heroic raiding you're probably not gonna have the time for it unless your definition of a few hours is different than mine.

Warlords is a ways off but they're doing even more in warlords to accommodate casual play by removing some daily requirements and turning them into weekly things you can do whenever so you don't feel obligated to log in every.day. to do dailies or whatever.

Deleted
    With a few hours I mean 1 hour a day during weekdays and maybe 3-4 hours per day during the weekend. Also, how time consuming is PvP (arena's and battlegrounds) in comparison to PvE (raids and dungeons)?

Again, thanks for the responses!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AkkarinHightower View Post
    If you're in school, nope. Will ruin your life and you won't get anything done.
    That's not true at all. If you responsibly budget your time you can make room for school and WoW.

OP, if you want to get in to WoW, now would be a great time because you'll have plenty of time to get to max level before Warlords of Draenor comes out. If you wait to long you could potentially get left even further behind. As long as you have the money and are able to make room for WoW without sacrificing your academics then you should go for it.

Also, how time consuming is PvP (arena's and battlegrounds) in comparison to PvE (raids and dungeons)?
    If you're only looking for casual play, both PvE and PvP aren't very time consuming. From a competitive standpoint, PvE is less time consuming. If you want to PvP at a competitive level you need to be doing PvP every day, whereas for PvE you'll usually be raiding 2-4 days per week if you part of a Heroic raid group.
    Last edited by ACES; 2014-06-24 at 03:47 PM.

With a few hours I mean 1 hour a day during weekdays and maybe 3-4 hours per day during the weekend. Also, how time consuming is PvP (arena's and battlegrounds) in comparison to PvE (raids and dungeons)?

Again, thanks for the responses!
    I'll be honest its not even worth logging in with what you could accomplish with 1 hour a day, 3-4 hours would be enough for you to get into some LFR's / flex raids and maybe find a pug to do normals with on weekends or something but its going to be quite some time before your in a position to even do those things with the time it'll take you to play catch up only playing 8 hours a week.

If you're content to just log in and derp around again the game is set up for you to do that if you don't care about heroic or even normal mode content, but with how limited your time is I wouldn't really recommend a game like this with its massive time sinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    If you approve of more Publishers holding a great Game hostage in order to shove yet another proprietary Game Launcher down your Throat which tempts you to spend additional money every time you launch your game(BattleNet Desktop App) then you should indeed buy World of Warcraft.
    Lol.

The game is 50% off, so buying it is now cheaper then a month sub. I'd say go for it, if you don't like it or feel your playtime limits you, just let the free month run out and leave again. I know I could do dungeons and LFR with just a few hours a week.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    If you approve of more Publishers holding a great Game hostage in order to shove yet another proprietary Game Launcher down your Throat which tempts you to spend additional money every time you launch your game(BattleNet Desktop App) then you should indeed buy World of Warcraft.
    Lol.

The game is 50% off, so buying it is now cheaper then a month sub. I'd say go for it, if you don't like it or feel your playtime limits you, just let the free month run out and leave again. I know I could do dungeons and LFR with just a few hours a week.

10+ Year Old Account
    We can't make this decision for you, I'm afraid. For that reason we don't allow threads like this.