Disc Priest Data: Skada vs Recount

Greetings Priests (Holy & Disc alike),

I was wondering if you might be able to settle a question that has been kicking around my group recently. There seems to be a grand discrepancy between what is actually being done in a fight and what is being recorded by "the meters". In our group (10m) the majority of us are using Skada. In contrast, there are a few people who are still using Recount (including our Disc priest). When the Raid Leader (myself) starts looking at performance, the debate between what they see and I see happen.

So I was wondering, are you folks seeing any major failings by Skada (no extra add-ons) or Recount these days? I realize that it's late in the raid tier, but outside of our Warcraft Log reports, I'm struggling to find a way to communicate feedback when we can't even agree on what is really happening. When the Disc says she's doing 100K and we see 50K, are we missing something obvious or is one of the trackers just failing hardcore? Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers!
    Xirek

Presumably when you see such a large discrepancy, the Discipline priest is looking at Absorbs + Healing and you're just looking at Healing. Neither Skada or Recount are more correct than each other, but Skada is closer to what WoL/WCL will output, so I personally prefer it.

7+ Year Old Account
    The only time I see any real discrepancy between Skada and Recount is when you're looking at Blood DK healing (Recount doesn't show Blood Worms?). Other than that, I choose Skada because it's less add-on memory.

As a raid leader, HPS meters are the most useless and irrelevant tool to measure a healer's performance. Seriously, listen to me: Do NOT use HPS meters to assess your healers. you'll be doing a disservice to your healers and your raid. You should be reading death logs, check for deaths from fairly unavoidable damage and THEN check who was /wasn't healing the dead players.

That's the only good use you can make of recount / skada for healers, and both of them are just as good at it.

You can't measure the actual performance of healers in MoP with HPS meters because:

1. Healing classes work differently. Absorb heavy specs such as disc / hpally take precedence over throughput specs such as rdruids / rshaman, and meters will vary depending on the amount of incoming damage rather than on healer performance.
    2. Sustained damage is not healed the same way as burst damage, single target damage is not handled the same way as raidwide damage, and each spec handles them in different ways.
    3. Disc is OP.
    4. Healing meters can be easily cheesed in many encounters.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xirek View Post
    Greetings Priests (Holy & Disc alike),

I was wondering if you might be able to settle a question that has been kicking around my group recently. There seems to be a grand discrepancy between what is actually being done in a fight and what is being recorded by "the meters". In our group (10m) the majority of us are using Skada. In contrast, there are a few people who are still using Recount (including our Disc priest). When the Raid Leader (myself) starts looking at performance, the debate between what they see and I see happen.

So I was wondering, are you folks seeing any major failings by Skada (no extra add-ons) or Recount these days? I realize that it's late in the raid tier, but outside of our Warcraft Log reports, I'm struggling to find a way to communicate feedback when we can't even agree on what is really happening. When the Disc says she's doing 100K and we see 50K, are we missing something obvious or is one of the trackers just failing hardcore? Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers!
    Xirek
    It used to be the case that 'healing done' didn't include absorbs. Recount by default had a 'healing and absorbs' whilst skada required an extra addon to include absorbs. That is no longer the case, both addons should now be including absorbs as standard. The extra addons still exist however and will give incorrect values if used. Skalds 'healing and absorbs' will simply double the value of absorbs by counting them all twice.

Check all the addons are up to date and remove any extras from them, if in doubt, compare to warcraftlogs and determine whose addon is more accurate that way.