Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Crysis 2/3 had pretty big marketing/advertising pushes behind them from EA, especially Crysis 3. Like, the budget for that games marketing had to be huge, it was freaking everywhere.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Crysis 2/3 had pretty big marketing/advertising pushes behind them from EA, especially Crysis 3. Like, the budget for that games marketing had to be huge, it was freaking everywhere.
    Maybe, might be regional. Crysis 2 came out of nowhere for me, didn't even see one advertisement. Crysis 3 I think I saw a couple Twitch adverts, a Youtube advertisement, and that "You can stealth or go in guns blazing!" promo video they did. Which amounted to a lot less than the community's "New PC? You MUST get Crysis!" - Which always came with the warning that the AI was horrible and the enemies at times were psychic. Heh.

If nothing else crysis was a good benchmark for building powerfull pc's. I know my goal for my desktop i built in 08 was to run it on max. I dont think its the powerhouse it once was and thats a shame.

10+ Year Old Account
    They don't make good games, they are going under. Working as intended.

Did anyone really enjoy any Crysis? The first was decent, but more so a graphical demonstration than as a game. Can't even remember the second one, other than it was incredibly disappointing how the story did not really tie into the first game well. Third game, wtf even happened in the 3rd game, you awake in the future, that English guy got fat, and you get to kill some bugs to blah blah blah...

Their engine was probably doomed as soon as EA decided to take frostbite company wide. They already had Ubisoft using it for FarCry, leaving Activision as the only big target. Then of course there is the problem where it really is not better than Unreal 4 or FB.

They pushed graphics forward in some ways, yet the games they made were not very good, were not classics.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    Maybe, might be regional. Crysis 2 came out of nowhere for me, didn't even see one advertisement. Crysis 3 I think I saw a couple Twitch adverts, a Youtube advertisement, and that "You can stealth or go in guns blazing!" promo video they did. Which amounted to a lot less than the community's "New PC? You MUST get Crysis!" - Which always came with the warning that the AI was horrible and the enemies at times were psychic. Heh.
    Possibly may have been regional. I live near big cities, so I saw tons of posters/billboards/bus prints etc. when I'd be in the city.

And if you follow any gaming news sites, then you'd have seen dozens and dozens and dozens of articles about it. They pushed the PR side of things pretty hard with that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Did anyone really enjoy any Crysis?
    Quite enjoyed the first one up until the alien ship. Didn't like the second at all, and haven't played the third.

Deleted

Did anyone really enjoy any Crysis? The first was decent, but more so a graphical demonstration than as a game. Can't even remember the second one, other than it was incredibly disappointing how the story did not really tie into the first game well. Third game, wtf even happened in the 3rd game, you awake in the future, that English guy got fat, and you get to kill some bugs to blah blah blah...

Their engine was probably doomed as soon as EA decided to take frostbite company wide. They already had Ubisoft using it for FarCry, leaving Activision as the only big target. Then of course there is the problem where it really is not better than Unreal 4 or FB.

They pushed graphics forward in some ways, yet the games they made were not very good, were not classics.
    The first one was excellent, fooling the AI and using the suit powers in different ways and just playing with the sandbox physics was a lot of fun. And then the aliens came and ruined the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the first did have fun physics. One play through I changed the strength modifier to like x25, and went around as the incredible hulk, just upper cutting Koreans into space!
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think just about all 3rd party engines - including Unreal - were doomed when big publishers started making their own engines.

EA: Frostbite
    Ubisoft: Snowdrop, whatever custom engine for whatever specific game
    Activision: whatever custom engine for whatever specific game

3D graphic engines just aren't as "hard" to make anymore. Or at least it isn't as hard to find people who can make competent ones.

Back in the early 90s they were super rare. You had the 2.5 engines, Doom and Build. Then you had the first decent 3D engine, Quake. Later you had Unreal and Quake's successors. Then came Farcry ... etc. Now it has reached the point, where anyone with enough money can build a decent 3D engine.

I think this is why Epic and Crytek started giving away their engines "cheap", like the Unity guys, trying to court indies - the only bunch of developers without tons of money to front an engine of their own.

They can forget about the Japanese studios. Those guys have always rolled their own and right now have their own studio-wide engine components - Konami (Fox Engine), SE (Crystal Tools), ... etc.

This and this.
    I never saw Crysis as more than a graphical demonstration for the engine.
    It's always been a niche game, since it would only run on super high end machines - which most people don't have.

And obviously, anything EA gets involved in dies a slow agonizing death.

Crytek is independent. EA making Frostbite a standard should've had no effect on them at all.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Crytek is independent. EA making Frostbite a standard should've had no effect on them at all.
    The goal of engine creators like Epic or Crytek is to license it out, hopefully to large publishers who will use it in many of their big AAA games. If publishers start moving exclusively to in-house engines, then that's a huge chunk of money that's lost for the engine licensors.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The goal of engine creators like Epic or Crytek is to license it out, hopefully to large publishers who will use it in many of their big AAA games. If publishers start moving exclusively to in-house engines, then that's a huge chunk of money that's lost for the engine licensors.
    Definately, but Korgoth's post would imply that the purpose and end-game plan for Crytek was to license it to EA and since they didn't that is what fucked them up. And this is quite not so true. Frostbite has been being made into EA-one-size-fits-all engine for years now while CryEngine has had it's own, independent developement cycle and marketing/aim. There was never question about cross-fit with EA
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Definately, but Korgoth's post would imply that the purpose and end-game plan for Crytek was to license it to EA and since they didn't that is what fucked them up. And this is quite not so true. Frostbite has been being made into EA-one-size-fits-all engine for years now while CryEngine has had it's own, independent developement cycle and marketing/aim. There was never question about cross-fit with EA
    Ah, right on. I don't pay enough attention to context sometimes -_-

Deleted
    Good. Death to popamole.