Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question Let's be Honest: Your Thoughts on Blizzard's Direction Moving Forward with the Plot?

The title says it all.

Discuss!

- - - - - - - - - - -

EDIT: Story of Warcraft in one minute.

Prologue: Sargeras betrays the titans, builds a demonic army, takes over Argus (Velen and his followers escape), attempts to invade Azeroth but Broxigar stops him. Kalimdor is split into fragments, creating the continents of Azeroth.

WC1: Medivh betrays Azeroth (He's demon possessed), summons a portal for a Kil'jaeden motivated Orc army to invade. Eastern Kingdoms unite into an Alliance and repel the invasion.

WC2: Renewed Orcish effort to fight the Alliance. Alleria and Turyalon sacrifice themselves and their armies on a one-way-trip to deactivate the Dark Portal. Draenor is nuked by ridiculously extreme magical focus. Orcs enslaved.

WC3: Thrall leads Orcs to Kalimdor, founds the New Horde. Grommosh sacrifices himself to save the Orcs. Arthas gives into the Legion and rampages across the Eastern Kingdoms before taking over Northrend. Kael'Thlas flees to Outland. Archimonde leads a second invasion into Azeroth but is slain.

WoW: Horde and Alliance go to war against each other. War of the Sands takes place.

BC: Alliance and Horde invade Outland. Kael'thas summons Kil'jaeden to Azeroth, but both are defeated. Garrosh is convinced of his father's wish and moves to Azeroth.

WotLK: Tirion's crusade against the Scourge. Putress betrays Azeroth and assists Varimathras's coup. Both are defeated. Ulduar discovered; Alagon returning to Azeroth regularly to observe. Arthas defeated. Bolvar becomes the new Lich King.

Cata: Carine assassinated by Magtha; Magni frozen. Renewed war between the Horde and the Alliance. The Cataclsym reshapes the world. Deathwing is slain. The aspects become mortal.

MoP: Theramore anhilated. Pandaria discovered. Garrosh unearthes the heart of an old god, and tries to purge the Horde. He is defeated and overthrown. Wrathion assists in his downfall and prepares Azeroth for an 'ultimate invasion' by the Legion.

WoD: Wrathion and Kairoz betray Azeroth and free Garrosh, sending him to the past. This creates an alternate Draenor where the world was not nuked and the Orcs were not enslaved to Kil'jaeden. Iron Horde invades Azeroth, but is pushed back. Expedition into Draenor to destroy the Dark Portal is launched.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2014-06-25 at 04:48 AM.

I was kinda hoping to move away with the orc related plot, probably will after 6.0, but still.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

WoW was always pretty much He-Man regarding the story and the characters. Time travel to visit old characters seems like a holiday special, or like one of those "special guest" episodes of scooby doo. I can dig it, cause I do like silly things, but if they spend too long on some throw away idea like that I'll get bored of it; on the other hand, they can't really wipe the slate clean afterward and pretend like it never happened either, so I think they're screwed.

Always happy to be wrong though.

I'm not really as invested in the story as I used to be. As a role-player I just sort of focus on the stuff that I like but the amount of attention given to orcs and humans is becoming rather tiresome. I can't stand the Alliance these days due to how often Anduin, Jaina and Varian steal the spotlight for their faction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    The title says it all.

Discuss!
    I can't wait to find out what the f the plot even is! Can you sum it up for me? Besides, of course, the fact that we go back in time to Draenor? I have really very little clue as to what will happen. And I watched every panel at Blizzcon and I read most Blue posts, so... pretty sure we don't really know what will happen. Excited for true beta to find out the details of the intro quest line, if they even let us test it.

The title says it all.

Discuss!
    My thoughts about the plot:

I don't care. I stopped caring long ago.

WoD is just another filler expansion. MoP was already the result of them scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas. Rather than make something new, they're attaching jumper cables to WoW and bringing back a bunch of characters that have long since been dead. They've said it's an alternate reality so fans who care about the lore can declare anything that happens non-canon. I'm willing to bet Archimonde, Kil'Jaeden, or Illidan will be T18, which will probably steal the show for whatever they come up with for T19. Old Gods, Titans, and the Burning Legion are their strongest story lines, but Blizzard refuses to do anything with them other than tease us with it.

Quote Originally Posted by finskee View Post
    I can't wait to find out what the f the plot even is! Can you sum it up for me? Besides, of course, the fact that we go back in time to Draenor? I have really very little clue as to what will happen. And I watched every panel at Blizzcon and I read most Blue posts, so... pretty sure we don't really know what will happen. Excited for true beta to find out the details of the intro quest line, if they even let us test it.
    Prologue: Sargeras betrays the titans, builds a demonic army, takes over Argus (Velen and his followers escape), attempts to invade Azeroth but Broxigar stops him. Kalimdor is split into fragments, creating the continents of Azeroth.
    WC1: Medivh betrays Azeroth (He's demon possessed), summons a portal for a Kil'jaeden motivated Orc army to invade. Eastern Kingdoms unite into an Alliance and repel the invasion.
    WC2: Renewed Orcish effort to fight the Alliance. Alleria and Turyalon sacrifice themselves and their armies on a one-way-trip to deactivate the Dark Portal. Draenor is nuked by ridiculously extreme magical focus. Orcs enslaved.
    WC3: Thrall leads Orcs to Kalimdor, founds the New Horde. Grommosh sacrifices himself to save the Orcs. Arthas gives into the Legion and rampages across the Eastern Kingdoms before taking over Northrend. Kael'Thlas flees to Outland. Archimonde leads a second invasion into Azeroth but is slain.
    WoW: Horde and Alliance go to war against each other. War of the Sands takes place.
    BC: Alliance and Horde invade Outland. Kael'thas summons Kil'jaeden to Azeroth, but both are defeated. Garrosh is convinced of his father's wish and moves to Azeroth.
    WotLK: Tirion's crusade against the Scourge. Putress betrays Azeroth and assists Varimathras's coup. Both are defeated. Ulduar discovered; Alagon returning to Azeroth regularly to observe. Arthas defeated. Bolvar becomes the new Lich King.
    Cata: Carine assassinated by Magtha; Magni frozen. Renewed war between the Horde and the Alliance. The Cataclsym reshapes the world. Deathwing is slain. The aspects become mortal.
    MoP: Theramore anhilated. Pandaria discovered. Garrosh unearthes the heart of an old god, and tries to purge the Horde. He is defeated and overthrown. Wrathion assists in his downfall and prepares Azeroth for an 'ultimate invasion' by the Legion.
    WoD: Wrathion and Kairoz betray Azeroth and free Garrosh, sending him to the past. This creates an alternate Draenor where the world was not nuked and the Orcs were not enslaved to Kil'jaeden. Iron Horde invades Azeroth, but is pushed back. Expedition into Draenor to destroy the Dark Portal is launched.

I was very excited for the dark below idea, where it was deep sea and dealt with ashara. WoD seems so weak to me.

Added this to the OP so people can get a very quick understanding of the plot before posting.

Personally I'm excited to go to Draenor, and I can completely disregard any issues with plot/story, because it's like they're embracing the mess they've made at this point.

That and I find the Burning Legion lackluster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Added this to the OP so people can get a very quick understanding of the plot before posting.
    Seriously my question still stands, everything you said I already know. What happens in Draenor?

I'm not going to go and say anything about the plot of WOD when all I know is like 5% of it.

They told us so much more about MOP plot before launch, I'm pretty sure they realized they ruined it for everyone because "garrosh is final boss so obvious". This is why we can't have pretty things.
    Last edited by finskee; 2014-06-25 at 04:59 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Still love the story. Always have loved Blizzard Lore.

I do love stories that can go off on different arc's and explore stories elsewhere in the universe/time of a certain IP. It makes the World/Universe the story is set in feel more whole instead just following a set bunch of Villains and Heroes for the same adventures in the same places.

It is why I love DC and Marvel Comics so much, since you can literally pick up 2 different comics based on the same Hero, but the story can be so vastly different but with the same core.

You don't get bored of waiting for the same Characters because a new and possibly more exciting Villain/Hero can appear. Many times I have swapped my "favourite" characters in Comics due to stories that leave the normal arc and explore characters in different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by finskee View Post
    Seriously my question still stands, everything you said I already know. What happens in Draenor?
    We repel the Iron Horde invasion. We ourselves invade Draenor. Alliance establishes a forward base at a temple and establishes a Garrison to raise an army to defeat the Iron Horde, and the (Azerothian) Horde also establishes a forward base at an Ogre citadel and creates a Garrison for the same purposes. Both factions still have skirmishes. The warlords will be defeated; more storyline on Wrathion and Kairoz's betrayls, and a cliffhanger leading to the next expansion.

On one hand, I feel like warlords is a very ill conceived attempt to revisit some of the warcraft 2 lore and iron out characters who've long since been killed. While I don't know that a subterranean/underwater/legion based expac would've been better or worse, this does give them an interesting opportunity to remove expectations from the equation (sort of what they did from pandaria.) the problem with deathwing, was that there was a large number of expectations going into that expansion, like about how hyjal should look or what the firelands should be. Nobody saw WoD coming, really. And expac wise, our expectations are turned on their head because it is a carbon copy of the past that's been tampered with after the fact. It isn't "Our" grom or durotan, and our expectations of these characters will have to quickly adapt once we get our heads around that.

Going beyond WoD, Wrathion will become an interesting character with a good chunk of history between the player and himself. It's one thing to face off against arthas because we got to play as him in WC3, it's another thing to perhaps face off against Wrathion, because we've been working alongside him for the entirety of MoP (or earlier if you were a rogue) and he'll have some minor presence in Draenor.

Things might've been the same with Garrosh, if he'd been given more of a role in TBC or WLK, but their tools for storytelling have evolved considerably since then, and the content between them wasn't mandatory whatsoever. (it was also specific to horde)

The plot is okay, not really thrilling... I would have killed off Garrosh at the end of SOO and then have a hero, maybe Khadgar, warn of a threat from the Burning Legion. It would end up leading adventurers to Argus, Xoroth or some other world.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Argus

http://www.wowwiki.com/Xoroth

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    My thoughts about the plot:

I don't care. I stopped caring long ago.
    Honestly I'm falling in the same boat too at this point, the more they focus on WoW and the next expansion, the more the game lore gets butchered for bullshit throwaway events and features for the expansion.

If Blizzard were to just make the Warcraft universe into a lore based game and actually boiled in more RPG elements into the game, it would actually thrive again as a result of it, but nowadays Warcraft is just another comicbook story deal, nothing too in depth and plots that are hairline sensible before they get shoved off a cliff for a new one; they are the Marvel Universe of gaming.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Iron Horde invades Azeroth, but is pushed back.
    I'm certain that Blizzard stated that we do not in fact do this, that our attack on the Dark Portal is just a desperate bid to buy us time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaneshot View Post
    I'm certain that Blizzard stated that we do not in fact do this.
    The expansion opening event is just this event alone, it does happen, we just enter Draenor to make it the last time they do.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ever since Arthas died, I feel theyve been playing "Quick stall everyone till Sargeras is ready!"