Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Send motherboard back to store, they claim I bent a pin

So as the title says, I send back a motherboard which I had thought to be faulty and they claim that through my error ( naturally ) there are bent CPU pins on the motherboard. Now I would be willing to believe that, but the pictures they send me just don't appear like mounting a CPU can cause. What are you guys input?

Deleted
    I doupt the cpu can damage 1 pin only and every other around it being perfectly ok. I would buy it if it was 2-3-5 all together. Not saying imposible but highly unlikely.

Well I guess the reasons for you bringing it back would apply here. If you are bringing it back to get a replacement for the same MB then I don't see an issue, if you are looking for a refund then they are trying to avoid that (begs the question, what are you gonna do without a MB...)

I would ask to speak to a manager or if it is a chain store go to the head office. One thing I will tell you, be nice no matter how annoyed you get, being rude will not get you the help you need, but still be firm. Now depending on where you are from, you may be able to go to your Consumer's Advise Agency and they can apply more pressure.

This way you have no lost your temper and the store has no grounds to refuse dealing with you

15+ Year Old Account
    The fact only 1 pin was bent was eyebrow raising for me too, also considering the fact that I would probably have noticed a pin this bent, hence I made this thread to see if my suspicion could be confirmed.

I had already specified on the RMA form they send me that I wanted a completely differet motherboard, a more expensive one at that.
    Not looking for a refund, just want a working computer x,x

Quote Originally Posted by .Nensec View Post
    The fact only 1 pin was bent was eyebrow raising for me too, also considering the fact that I would probably have noticed a pin this bent, hence I made this thread to see if my suspicion could be confirmed.

I had already specified on the RMA form they send me that I wanted a completely differet motherboard, a more expensive one at that.
    Not looking for a refund, just want a working computer x,x
    If you are unwilling to pay the difference then I can see why they resist. Now if you were to offer and fully intend on paying the extra to get the new MB, they might help and as a gesture of goodwill, wave the extra cost...depending on price difference of course

If it was put in wrong, absolutely. I've seen it happen more than enough times with CPU socket pins, as well as CPU pins. I've seen one pin bent, I've seen sections bent on both CPUs and Motherboards that I've had to fix with tweezers. Whether it was you that did it, I don't know, I wasn't there to see you install it.

If they're not willing to do a full refund or send you another, maybe try for a partial refund or something like that. Is it an online store you bought it from?
    Last edited by IRunSoFarAway; 2014-06-25 at 08:24 AM.

Deleted
    Yes in older ones it was a bit different tho and if you check the photo that 1 pin is in the other side of clip base too. To bend that you would have to place the cpu with its corner down there 1st.

10+ Year Old Account
    To me it looks like transport damage and bad handeling. Not from you tho.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    If it was put in wrong, absolutely. I've seen it happen more than enough times with CPU socket pins, as well as CPU pins. I've seen one pin bent, I've seen sections bent on both CPUs and Motherboards that I've had to fix with tweezers. Whether it was you that did it, I don't know, I wasn't there to see you install it.

If they're not willing to do a full refund or send you another, maybe try for a partial refund or something like that. Is it an online store you bought it from?
    Everyone can make mistakes, I just find it highly unlikely that if I did somehow ended up placing a cpu that can only fit in the slot one way wrongly and attempted to close it that it would have bent just 1 pin in such a way in fact that it bent backwards? I find that highly unlikely.

The store is an online retailer ( www.alternate.nl ) with a physical store near Rotterdam, Netherlands.
    I am more than willing to pay the difference, it just so far hasn't been brought up by them. They are extremely slow in service, it took them over a week ( this monday ) to even reply to me that the motherboard had this damage and they even forgot to attach the photos to that email. It took them over a day to send me ( today ) them.

In the pc repair store I work at , we have had mobos come back with way more pins bent than that and all I did was use some tiny tools and bent them all back , 100% worked after that, get them to bend the pins back and see if it works still.

15+ Year Old Account
    They are not a repair store, they are just a retailer. These pictures come from their customer support

Quote Originally Posted by .Nensec View Post
    Everyone can make mistakes, I just find it highly unlikely that if I did somehow ended up placing a cpu that can only fit in the slot one way wrongly and attempted to close it that it would have bent just 1 pin in such a way in fact that it bent backwards? I find that highly unlikely.

The store is an online retailer ( www.alternate.nl ) with a physical store near Rotterdam, Netherlands.
    I am more than willing to pay the difference, it just so far hasn't been brought up by them. They are extremely slow in service, it took them over a week ( this monday ) to even reply to me that the motherboard had this damage and they even forgot to attach the photos to that email. It took them over a day to send me ( today ) them.
    It's going to bend whichever way the pressure takes it, one pin, or a bunch of pins. Looking at the first picture it looks like it was bent forward, I'm not sure why they'd take a picture of it at an angle instead of just straight down. I get that it can only be put it one way, but you'd be surprised to know how many times it fucks up, a square can only go into a square one way, but it can still clip it on the way in.

That said, it doesn't really sound like that place knows what they're doing. I don't know if you have already, but try and suggest it instead of waiting for them to bring it up, because I highly doubt they ever will.

If email is slow, have you tried calling?

You can try and go down to the physical store, if you can, to see if anything can be done. They might just give you an excuse that the online store is separate and you'll have to deal with it there, though.

If they won't budge at all, you'll just have to tell them to send it back. The damage isn't that bad(though a straight overview picture would be nice), you should be able to get a pair of tweezers and straighten it pretty easily.
    Last edited by IRunSoFarAway; 2014-06-25 at 08:55 AM.

Granted, it might depend on the socket, but I've screwed up with the CPU in the past. There's no way only one pin got bent, there should be at least 4-5.

15+ Year Old Account
    I just got word from the store, they say that they won't replace the motherboard due to the damage on the current motherboard. Only if the manufacturer ( Asus, I presume ) says this falls under warrenty ( unlikely ) will they replace the motherboard.

Deleted
    If you are sure when the mobo left your hands was intact then its not your fault and i would insist on that. They might as well have bended themselves when they were throwing boxes here and there. Did you place the plastic socket cover when you send it back?

15+ Year Old Account
    No, I don't think I did place that back when I send it. Not sure if I even included it, might have went into the bin with the plastic bags from the other components

So... why don't you just bend the pin back, put in the CPU and be done with it?

Getting a replacement for that is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Raqubor View Post
    So... why don't you just bend the pin back, put in the CPU and be done with it?

Getting a replacement for that is silly.
    That's honestly the easiest solution, when it got bent it could've just been bent back to being straight and it would've been all good. But the whole thing wasn't noticed until the place sent back pictures of the damages after inspection.

10+ Year Old Account
    What camera was used to take those photographs?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    What camera was used to take those photographs?
    I have no clue, looks like a smartphone sized picture so I'd guess a smartphone