Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Are they going to add new talents to souls beyond 61 points?Im curious since we got dream soul pack before the expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syce View Post
    hey slip, did they give ur the actual mount or one of the packs they have a chance to come in? from the stream yesterday
    Nothing received yet, usually takes up to a week before they mail out a code and i doubt it'll be an ArcheAge Trove pack, just a mount

Quote Originally Posted by Bznga View Post
    Are they going to add new talents to souls beyond 61 points?
    From what has been said on Live Streams and such, it seems we wouldn't getting any extra talent points, but...we will get a new 'stat' called Masteries which will allow us to tweak our builds, as far as i know we will get up to three Masteries

A new 1.23GB build was added to the Public Test Shard (PTS) yesterday, unfortunately not been an Alpha tester it seems all the good stuff went there

They did tidy up the Achievements section, now dividing them into Rift - Rift: Storm Legion and Rift: Nightmare Tide sections, for more info and screenshots check out Riftgrate:

http://riftgrate.com/2014/08/18/pts-...h-august-2014/

I did take some screen shots of the new areas that each zone has to explore as part of the achiement, some interesting place names

Goboro Reef

Draumheim

Tarken Glacier

There a release date set? Sorry if its posted. Skimmed over the first page and the others but didnt see one listed.

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    There a release date set? Sorry if its posted. Skimmed over the first page and the others but didnt see one listed.
    2014 is all Daglar will say. Current guesses are Oct-Dec.

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the senior UI designers for Rift, Gingers, posted a teaser for the minion cards coming in 3.0

Minions seem to be collectable and tradable "cards" from drops in the Open World from mobs, raids, dungeons, all aspects of the game and will allow you to send these minions out to collect, craft etc for you, sounds a bit like the companion system in SW: ToR but we don't know too much about the system yet

Anyhow, this is a Work In Progress shot of the back of one of the cards

Deleted
    This might be a stupid reason to not play the game, but i get so turned off by the optimization. don't get me wrong. I have played Rift here and there since 2011, release. It is just that when you raid you get like 30-40 fps even with .cfg changes and all. I mean, it doesnt even matter if you play at 800x600 or 2560x1440, you don't even get 1 more fps.. i do not enjoy games with no 60 fps. call me stupid.. :/

But i might try 3.0. What is not making me go back is because i got tired of my main and wanted to change character. the problem is that since cash shop came out, people just buy full set of dungeon gear, or even t1 or t2 raiding gear and do not farm adventures and such. which m,akes me running around trying to down a boss for infinity stones myself.. kind of sucks. but a new ''expansion'' will for sure bring the grind back for everyone !

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    This might be a stupid reason to not play the game, but i get so turned off by the optimization. don't get me wrong. I have played Rift here and there since 2011, release. It is just that when you raid you get like 30-40 fps even with .cfg changes and all. I mean, it doesnt even matter if you play at 800x600 or 2560x1440, you don't even get 1 more fps.. i do not enjoy games with no 60 fps. call me stupid.. :/
    Optimization isn't a stupid reason not to play the game, in fact i think it's a stumbling block for a lot of people interested in the game

Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post

But i might try 3.0. What is not making me go back is because i got tired of my main and wanted to change character. the problem is that since cash shop came out, people just buy full set of dungeon gear, or even t1 or t2 raiding gear and do not farm adventures and such. which m,akes me running around trying to down a boss for infinity stones myself.. kind of sucks. but a new ''expansion'' will for sure bring the grind back for everyone !
    It's been a big issue for the game forever, you're not the only one who is annoyed/turned off by it.

Seriously, if they don't put in multi-core support with the expansion, I'll just probably end up ending my sub to the game. I enjoy it and have mad respect for Trion and how they've run it, but it's inexcusable that a MMO in 2014 can not have multi-core support, especially one like Rift that actually uses HD art assets and can have upwards of a hundred players on the screen for an event.

By far the thing I enjoy most about Rift is the zone events, so optimization is honestly the #1 problem I have. I can get 30-40 FPS doing things solo, but once I hit the final boss of an event my FPS drops down to the single digits and the game just gets frustrating to play. That being said, I know enough about programming and game development to know that this is not a problem that can easily be fixed, and I know that Trion is devoting as much of their resources to optimization as they realistically can - it's not a problem that will be resolved any faster by adding extra people.

Its a console engine that was released almost 10 years ago, i dont think multi-core support will come unless they have hired more than 1 person (I remember they did hire someone) to rewrite the whole thing without messing with the graphics etc.

My biggest problem with Rift still remains on whatever the hell they did with the Hammerknell patch when they implemented "Disable other people's FX" which seriously doesnt work properly,i still remember losing 40-50% FPS in that patch despite applying the custom changes, then there is the shaking lightning unless i set it at 10 from the .ini and stuff like that.

Game is good, expansion is gonna be great, models are gonna be great too probably but i still wont play again ;p

I feel a bit guilty i got back into it last year, joined a raiding guild, got basically spoon fed a run through the first 10man, (not the newest one) then a couple days later the guild put together a 20 man, we go into the raid, and again they say 'meme' can you go dps, i'm thinking well shit, i have played inquisitor for a grand total of about 1h so i try it anyway i think i'm pushing maybe 12k dps which is pretty shit but not bad for someone who hasn't played the spec.

swear i joined the guild as a healer, having put nearly all my time into sentinel and starting to learn warden, but these guys wanted me dpsing so i died a little inside, got to the boss that was like globbulous in wow naxx but with about 5 or so extra mechanics well, it was pretty overwhelming for me. suffice to say it killed my interest in raiding. so i didn't show up for a while and played other games that were stacking up.

i do like rift though, for ppl wanting to power a bit to 60, grind instant adventures, i went healer so i struggled a bit to solo after a while without going druid but the instants weren't that painful and i managed to do the last few level rather quickly spamming those. ill definately try the expansion out maybe ill just stick to casual play though i don't quite have what it takes for raiding in rift i think.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2014-08-24 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Its a console engine that was released almost 10 years ago, i dont think multi-core support will come unless they have hired more than 1 person (I remember they did hire someone) to rewrite the whole thing without messing with the graphics etc.
    Except that the engine can totally support multiple cores: http://www.gamebryo.com/features.php

WAR, which ran on Gamebryo even supported multiple cores.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Except that the engine can totally support multiple cores: http://www.gamebryo.com/features.php

WAR, which ran on Gamebryo even supported multiple cores.
    It does now, but at the time it did not. Keep in mind this was almost the same version of the engine that WAR used.

They would have had multicore support in there if they could. They do have a guy that is gonna work on it, but they are doing shadow optimization currently. Multi Core support will be a long and involved process that requires rewriting a large large amount of game code. A dangerous thing to do on a "already live" game.

Its not easy.

It is annoying I agree. But 40 fps is acceptable. You really don't need more than 35-38. I do know some people who are dealing with 20-30 on high end AMD cpus and that is a bigger issue IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendros View Post
    It does now, but at the time it did not. Keep in mind this was almost the same version of the engine that WAR used.

They would have had multicore support in there if they could. They do have a guy that is gonna work on it, but they are doing shadow optimization currently. Multi Core support will be a long and involved process that requires rewriting a large large amount of game code. A dangerous thing to do on a "already live" game.

Its not easy.

It is annoying I agree. But 40 fps is acceptable. You really don't need more than 35-38. I do know some people who are dealing with 20-30 on high end AMD cpus and that is a bigger issue IMO.
    As far as I'm concerned, any game released on PC (especially if it's PC exclusive) released without multi-core support or borderless windowed mode that was released in the past say, 5 years, is shitting the bed in a major way. Those are two things that should be standard for every single modern PC game with any kind of budget.

And considering how often I've heard major complaints leveled at the game, especially as a reason for folks leaving, I'd thing they'd make it more of a priority. I mean, hell, from everything I can tell Defiance has multi-core support. And that game was, and still sorta is, a bloody disaster in terms of design and financial performance.

And even if it's the same version that WAR used, even WAR, a game that flopped in a very major way and ended up being abandoned until the license expired, had multi-core support. This is pretty much shameful at this point. I had fully expected it for 2.0, and if it doesn't come with 3.0 I'm going to be pretty pissed. I don't give a rats ass how difficult or not it is to implement with their version of the Gamebryo engine (which they say barely resembles the engine they started with IIRC), I give a rats ass about the game not performing like trash compared to most of it's competition.

As far as I'm concerned, any game released on PC (especially if it's PC exclusive) released without multi-core support or borderless windowed mode that was released in the past say, 5 years, is shitting the bed in a major way. Those are two things that should be standard for every single modern PC game with any kind of budget.
    Your views are acceptable to me on these matters. I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Although I don't have "unplayable" FPS in Rift, sub-60 FPS in any video game is impacting on gameplay as a point of fact. What varies is the degree to which sub-60 FPS impacts gameplay. But objectively, 30 FPS is worse than 60 FPS for any real time actions taken in games.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well, some games DO shut down.
    The last mostly mainstream game I saw shut down was CoH and people involved seemed to indicate that it was actually doing fine so I'm not even sure why it got closed. There's been no indication since that time that any of these games are remotely close to shutting down. Stop being a dramatic cow. On a serious note though, Rift is probably one of the most underrated traditional MMOs I've ever played. I will definitely make time to come back when the expansion hits.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Consoles like the PS3 and Xbox360 are locked to 30 FPS, you don't hear them complain about bad FPS, then again consoles are primarily played on TV screens which would have FPS below 30Hz depending if American NTSC or European SECAM which is ~25 FPS.

Interesting read here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

Also interesting test here:

https://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well, some games DO shut down.
    The only 2 I know of are CoH and Star Wars:Galaxies. The first one, no idea why, the second one, because everyone stopped playing after they SoE took over and overhauled the game and made it completely different. Even Ultima Online is still going. Heck, many MUDs, which are really the first MMOs, completely text-based though, are still running. Several of which I used to play, even before Everquest(which is also still running).

I guess there have been 1 or 2 all the MMOs that have come out in the last 20 years, so I should change my statement:

Very few MMORPGs just shut down. The vast majority, 95%+, keep chugging along. Rift has an active and healthy population and will likely not be going anywhere anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Consoles like the PS3 and Xbox360 are locked to 30 FPS, you don't hear them complain about bad FPS, then again consoles are primarily played on TV screens which would have FPS below 30Hz depending if American NTSC or European SECAM which is ~25 FPS.
    Actually, you do have plenty of complaints that the current generation isn't capable of delivering 1080p 60fps games already. Last generation consoles usually sticking at 30fps (though some games ran 60, like CoD for example) was because the hardware is nearly a decade old. PC's do not have these same limitations. Your argument is completely invalid and pointless. Doubly so when the vast majority of computer monitors out there nowadays have zero problems displaying at 60Hz or higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    It is interesting, because there's a big difference in how I the two moons (one moving at 30 the other at 60) are displayed, even on my work monitor which is probably around 8 years old.

I get that you love Rift and Trion, I do too. But this is a big issue for the game and for many people who want to play. The poor performance due to the lack of multi-core support is a turn off for a lot of folks. And for a developer/publisher like Trion, which is a pretty big, it's kinda embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Actually, you do have plenty of complaints that the current generation isn't capable of delivering 1080p 60fps games already. Last generation consoles usually sticking at 30fps (though some games ran 60, like CoD for example) was because the hardware is nearly a decade old. PC's do not have these same limitations. Your argument is completely invalid and pointless. Doubly so when the vast majority of computer monitors out there nowadays have zero problems displaying at 60Hz or higher.

It is interesting, because there's a big difference in how I the two moons (one moving at 30 the other at 60) are displayed, even on my work monitor which is probably around 8 years old.

I get that you love Rift and Trion, I do too. But this is a big issue for the game and for many people who want to play. The poor performance due to the lack of multi-core support is a turn off for a lot of folks. And for a developer/publisher like Trion, which is a pretty big, it's kinda embarrassing.
    I'm not saying its not an issue cause it is (everyone at Trion knows it to, the folks there for community day talked about it). But man, its really really difficult to go to multicore if the game isn't made for it. You guys don't understand how much work that is for a very very small developer. This isn't Blizzard. Trion doesn't have the kind of manpower to throw 20 hardcore code engineers at this problem and have it cracked in 6 months. I think it will come in sometime during 3.0 but its not gonna be in before then. Shadow optimization is in now, and is working really well. So I imagine they are on to multicore support but all they have is two guys working on it. Its highly specialized work.