Page 1 of 2
LastLast

is it okay to play Kotor or kotor2 again?

Haven't played them in years but they were some of my favorite games of all time. But lately lotta people saying they were good in their time but are too old now. Also would it feel weird being a guy when swtor declared the exile as a girl?

Does anyone here still play Kotor or plan to play again?

Deleted
    I just played through both of them 2 times just last week (once light and once dark side). Of course the graphics are far behind todays standart, but they arent that bad. 5 minutes in and you dont even notice it anymore. Aside from that i had just as much fun, if not more, than i had all those years ago.

Deleted
    The voice acting, story telling and characters still stand up - they are very comparable to the excellent class quests in SWTOR. However, because those are the strengths of the games, it does limit their replayability. It's like reading the same book again or re-watching a film. That said, they are very good story-heavy games (I prefer them to most of the films). I replay kotor2 fairly regularly - around once a year or so.

The mechanics - movement, combat, leveling, UI etc - are pretty solid imo. About the best of the Neverwinternights type games. (NWN1s tiles feels soulless whereas NWN2 is just clunky.) The difficulty is a bit off - too easy, especially kotor2. I'd recommend playing kotor2 on hard difficulty.

I find them a bit clunky, but if you can get through the first hour you will have adjusted enough to enjoy the game again. The KoToR series is one of the best in gaming history, they stand the test of time in my eyes... Though I do feel the gameplay feels clunky compared to a modern game.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

If you have a copy of KOTOR around you can skip some steps, but this what I did to get the game to run in 1920x1080. Sadly Flawless Widescreen doesn't support KOTOR 2 as of yet.

KOTOR 1 WS support> http://steamcommunity.com/app/32370/...3021632592525/

On the topic of KOTOR 2. I highly recommend downloading the Restored Content Mod and the M4-78 Enhancement Project. They add back so much of what Obsidian had to cut to meet LucasArts Christmas deadline.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-l...ent-mod-tslrcm
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-l...4-78ep-patched

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know, games like KotoR or Baldur's Gate always felt more like books to me than movies - graphics or mechanics in them do not matter to me a single bit. The story in KotoR 1/2, voice acting, dialogue choices, companion talks are amazing - why would you even need graphics?

It's not an either/or. No reason not to get the best of both.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

enjoy them again if you enjoyed them in the first place

My wife and I looked into them, but didn't like the combat from the videos we watched. If you are already aware of the gameplay and like it, then go for it. No reason not to.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am someone who HIGHLY values the current technology level in terms of graphics and usually can't play anything that looks remotely dated...

That being said, KOTOR is still phenomenal. I lost track of time and spent a lot of hours just going through some of the game a few months back. If you have the time and interest then the KOTOR games are great- even if just for the story.

Yes, Restored Content Mod is must have
    For me KOTOR2 worked perfectly in 1920x1080 with UniWS and "Widescreen UI Fix for Knights of the Old Republic 2"

10+ Year Old Account
    Is totally worth it. I played a dude in KotOR 2 with TSLRCM but didn't get the M4-78 mod. Looks like I might play through it again to see that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    enjoy them again if you enjoyed them in the first place

My wife and I looked into them, but didn't like the combat from the videos we watched. If you are already aware of the gameplay and like it, then go for it. No reason not to.
    The combat is quite godawful, that's true. They could make it tactically interesting as they did in Neverwinter Nights, but unfortunately the difficulty is so low, even on Hard, that most battles just end up being you controlling only your main character and spamming the special attack you leveled. Actually, now that I worked out the best build I usually use (Dexterity-based Soldier->Guardian with dual lightsaber, Speed Force, Power Strike and not leveling before becoming a Jedi), the only time I ever had to do something more than spam Speed Force + Power Strike was on Taris while I am level 2 (becomes again freaking easy when you meet Bastila) and in final battle with Malak (which is, again, laughably easy, once you know the trick with Force Drain).

Thankfully, there are some crazy difficulty mods available. I haven't tried them yet, but people say they make the game much more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    I am someone who HIGHLY values the current technology level in terms of graphics and usually can't play anything that looks remotely dated...
    With high-res texture mods, 1920x1080 mod and strong anti-aliasing enabled in my driver, the game still looks awesome, comparable to Dragon Age. I would say it looks even better than SWTOR since anti-aliasing in SWTOR is horrendously bad and performance unacceptably low.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post

That being said, KOTOR is still phenomenal. I lost track of time and spent a lot of hours just going through some of the game a few months back. If you have the time and interest then the KOTOR games are great- even if just for the story.
    Who is that gorgeous broad in your profile picture??

OT: To this day I still have not finished Kotor 2, which really upsets me. It's very time consuming the first time through; not to mention I find the game a little duller than the first one. The story hasn't quite captured me and I've been stuck on Nar Shaddaa for probably over a year now (granted I only play once in a blue moon). I think this thread has inspired me to try it again though.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesket View Post
    Does anyone here still play Kotor or plan to play again?
    Sure, I've replayed KoToR several times the last time I did was about 2 years ago still one of my favorite games. I recently (2 month's ago) finished replaying KoToR II for the third time on the PC this time. Much, much better experience than the consoles; because of the mods. It's still as amazing as I remember, Darth Traya alone is worth the replay.

The original KoToR is still my favorite but I have to say the PC version of KoToR2 is definitely worth playing even if you have played it before, there's hours of cut content that has been modded back into the game. Well worth the download.

About The Exile being confirmed female in canon, that doesn't really bother me. To me the Exile was a 'male' character because that's how I played it. I don't really give a crap what Bioware does with the lore in SW:ToR. As far as I'm concerned that game doesn't exist, lore wise. They did some unforgivable things to Revan, HK-47 and the Exile. I didn't even know Bioware could tamper with KoToR II's story since that was developed by Obsidian; either way they fucked up a a lot of things in ToR. Don't take anything in the MMO too seriously, just ignore it like most of what happens in World of Warcraft with the lore.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duravian View Post
    OT: To this day I still have not finished Kotor 2, which really upsets me. It's very time consuming the first time through; not to mention I find the game a little duller than the first one. The story hasn't quite captured me and I've been stuck on Nar Shaddaa for probably over a year now (granted I only play once in a blue moon). I think this thread has inspired me to try it again though.
    KotoR 2 is very uneven in terms of content quality. Nar Shaddaa looks beautiful but, you are right, it is much longer than it should've been (and also the ship you are on after you complete that planet was designed by sadists, that kind of sadists that get pleasure from making you bored). Korriban was just an abomination, they should've just cut it from the game. But then, Dxun+Onderon are simply stunning and have great storylines. Dantooine is a bit dull at start and in the end, but in the middle it is quite interesting.

My advice: if you are stuck on Nar Shaddaa and don't feel like continuing it, go to Onderon (you will crash on Dxun first). I think the amount of enjoyment you get there will keep you for the rest of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    KotoR 2 is very uneven in terms of content quality. Nar Shaddaa looks beautiful but, you are right, it is much longer than it should've been (and also the ship you are on after you complete that planet was designed by sadists, that kind of sadists that get pleasure from making you bored). Korriban was just an abomination, they should've just cut it from the game. But then, Dxun+Onderon are simply stunning and have great storylines. Dantooine is a bit dull at start and in the end, but in the middle it is quite interesting.

My advice: if you are stuck on Nar Shaddaa and don't feel like continuing it, go to Onderon (you will crash on Dxun first). I think the amount of enjoyment you get there will keep you for the rest of the game.
    You know, now that you mention it.. I think I'm actually on the ship part at the end of Nar Shaddaa. Ah yes, it's all coming back to me now. I boarded the ship with little to no medpacs and the mobs in there are incredibly hard with my ungeared companions. I could probably finish it if I took it very slowly and kited a bunch though. Looking forward to some new scenery.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duravian View Post
    You know, now that you mention it.. I think I'm actually on the ship part at the end of Nar Shaddaa. Ah yes, it's all coming back to me now. I boarded the ship with little to no medpacs and the mobs in there are incredibly hard with my ungeared companions. I could probably finish it if I took it very slowly and kited a bunch though. Looking forward to some new scenery.
    Yeah, I had the same experience the first time I got there. I think it is supposed to be walked through slowly, otherwise, given that Nar Shaddaa is the first planet you go to, the companions are indeed too weak for a frontal assault.

There is a way to kill many turrets without the need to turn them off, by the way - and it also gives a lot of additional XP. Just take any companion with ranged damage (I prefer Visas with her Force Lightning), then go to a turret, attack it once and run away - if done fast, your companion will still be alive. Then just use heals (again, provided you have a companion with it) before you are recovered - turrets do not regenerate, so go there again and attack the turret one more time...
    I know it is tedious, but I guess it is the best way to go through that damn ship. Otherwise, fighting everyone in a fair fight is nearly impossible.

Deleted
    If the pirated versions would run on my pc I would play them again, sadly they don't.
    I have to say though that I'll mainly play them for the story and for HK-47, turnbased combat never has been my thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, I'm replaying KotoR currently, what, the 50th time? I must admit - the game has aged. Not even graphics, but combat system, location design, dialogues (many of them are very naive - in games like, say, Dragon Age and Mass Effect characters are way less cliched, while in KotoR bad guys are bad, without real motives, but just because they are bad guys)... Besides, I know the game by heart after 11 years of replaying it every few months, and it is also too easy for me since I remember all encounters. Regardless, I am having fun once more. Just need to suffer through Kashyyyk, I've never liked that Wookie planet - and after that Tatooine, Manaan and especially Korriban are a lot of fun!

Deleted
    I replayed KotOR II(with the restored content mod) a few months ago.
    Still awesome and I'd still recommend it.